Windows 10: How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'?

Discus and support How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This relates to Windows Defender Security Center running under Windows 10, Version 10.0.16299. Consistently (not sure if it's the same time... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Electrojim, Mar 2, 2018.

1. How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'?

This relates to Windows Defender Security Center running under Windows 10, Version 10.0.16299.

Consistently (not sure if it's the same time every day) I come back to my 'running' computer to find that it has restarted. That means that I have lost what was on the screen when I left. I have equated this inconvenience (to say the least) to a "Health Scan" initiated by the Windows Defender Security Center, which shows that it has freshly run for that date.

Under Task Scheduler I regularly disable: "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan, " but it evidently turns itself back on automatically, perhaps at the behest of some Defender or other update.

Is there a way to keep this from happening? Perhaps the utility senses that the computer is inactive, jumps in and does its thing while no one is watching. But restarting Windows, requiring a login, should be beyond the call of this feature. What can be done, save installing a different antivirus program, and turning Windows Defender off?

:)

Electrojim, Mar 2, 2018

2. New Windows Defender Security Centre. Option to Dismiss/Ignore notifications?

For Windows 10 version 1703:

Use Regedit and go to

"\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Security Health\Health Advisor\Device Driver"

Set "UI Reporting Disabled" to 1. If the key does not exist, it is a REG_DWORD and the values are either 0 (off) or 1 (on).

Then after a reboot, Windows Defender should stop flagging device driver issues.

TarekOkail, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Creators update: Device Performance and Health issue on UPS-connected desktop

Me too have this problem, regarding battery, and another one about a device I have disabled. I can't dismiss the message. Is there any way to turn off this Windows Defender Device performance & health?

"Edit: I realize we can disable Windows Defender Security Center. Open Task Manager and go to Startup tab. Search for it and right-click disable that piece of shitware."

RonaldoVeiga, Mar 2, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'?

Hi, what does this show?

How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'? [​IMG]

I quite appreciate no-one wants an unexpected restart. Oddly, I had one recently, related to some check run on my disk- the first such restart ever with Win 10 I think. However, that restarted to a login prompt as expected.

It would be wise to discover the underlying issue.

You might want to try running
    chkdsk C: /scan
    from an admin command prompt.

I have Avast installed- that does not mean health scans are not done.
    Other than that - but only as a temporary measure- you might try editing the Action - add a character to the exe file name, say, to make it invalid.

dalchina, Mar 2, 2018
  5. Thanks for the reply, dalchina. Here's what my screen shows:

...same as yours, except no battery. Funny, perhaps the restart is NOT the fault of a Health Scan. They seemed to be coincidental, all the times that I've looked, but as there is no report as to the time the scan was done, can't tell for sure. What makes me wonder is that I only turned my system on moments ago, saw your reply, checked my own Health screen, and note that supposedly it did a scan already today! In the first couple of minutes! If this is something Windows does on boot or wakeup, then it might not be what's restarting Windows.

Electrojim, Mar 2, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Normally the first thing to suspect with random restarts would be hardware.

Suggest you do a RAM check (see Tutorial section for a guide if unsure).
    You have 16Gb- are all sticks identical?

Check your disk(s) e.g. Hard disk sentinel (trial) - if ok
    Do the chkdsk scan as above
    If ok from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the summary result.

Check your Reliability History and explore red x's.

Try changing the setting as in Step 1 Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages here:
    HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

dalchina, Mar 2, 2018
  7. Okay, Dalchina,

Here's the results of that scan:

And under Reliability History, I do see unexpected shutdowns every couple of days:

And under Technical Details, this is typical:

Does this suggest anything? Not sure what 'Blue Screen' means there. Same "Code: 10000ea" for each shutdown.

Electrojim, Mar 2, 2018
  8. How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'?

Further, I see this under Event Viewer:

Those are the four instances of restart.

Electrojim, Mar 2, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so really this is a BSOD case, and needs to be handled by our BSOD experts. Suggest you post a thread in that section to get the best attention. When you post there you will see instructions how to post in that thread and how to collect logs for your post.

However, the greatest probability is this is a failing PSU. (See last link).

Please also see the last item in my previous post - that's so you get notification on restart, rather than a 'silent' restart.

Please see:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-without-clean

How to fix Windows 10 error Event ID 41 ‘Kernel-Power’ - Windows 10

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'?

1. How to disable Windows Defender 'Health Scan'? - Similar Threads - disable Defender 'Health

2. How to disable Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Windows Defender?: So, a few days ago I had windows updates and I installed them all but my PC was kinda slow after that, like noticeably slow. So I was checking the task manager and I noticed that Antimalware Service Executable is taking a lot of memory, almost 300MB. I tried stopping it, got...
  3. How to disable Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Defender?: Defender is really pissing me off. There are some files on my PC that it thinks are malware and even after clicking Allow, it forgets and asks again every time and just refuses to let me use them. Then it uses a lot of CPU and HDD and even after disabling it, it still runs! I...
  4. how to schedule windows defender scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to schedule windows defender scan: How can I schedule a windows defender scan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-schedule-windows-defender-scan/1751ff45-23df-4e9e-ba79-2a46a16b7abd
  5. How to schedule Windows defender scan?

How to schedule Windows defender scan?: How to schedule Windows defender scan? It says Search for and open Schedule tasks. Where do I have to search? I found nothing. Do I search in C, windows,...
  6. How to abort a scan of Windows Defender

How to abort a scan of Windows Defender: Hi, I accidentally initiated a scan in Windows Defender Security Center, and it has brought my system down onto its knees. How can I abort the scan? I have too many unfinished and half-finished things open -- so I don't want to force a restart. I'm using Windows 10...
  7. How to Disable Windows Defender ?

How to Disable Windows Defender ?: Tired and annoyed about the Virus Detected notification. This is bogus!!!! I use Total A/V which doesn't find any Viruses. I need to know if I can disable Defender completely. [Original Title: Defender]...
  8. How to Disable Window Defender

How to Disable Window Defender: I need to disable Windows Defender but when I go to tools/options and un tick "use this program" and then click SAVE I get an error code (no such interface supported Error code ox80004002) [Original Title: Window Defender]...
  9. How to disable Windows defender

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to disable Windows defender: Welcome to another guide! In this one, I’ll show you how to disable Windows Defender. But here are a few things you might need to know before you continue reading this guide… If you already know about Windows Defender, just click here to jump to the different methods that we...
  10. How to disable Windows Defender?

How to disable Windows Defender?: I have win 10 home, I don't have group policy editor. I tried regedit, I tried downloading reg file to disable it, window defender is still on. So what can I do now? 67763

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 performance and health scan how to disable

2. software\microsoft\windows security health\health advisor

3. disable health scan windows defender

4. disable health scan