Windows 10: How to disable Windows Script Host

Discus and support How to disable Windows Script Host in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is there a good way in registry or group policy to disable wscript.exe? Does it apply to all users? Purpose is to prevent users from accidentally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shmu26, Aug 28, 2017.

1. shmu26 Win User

How to disable Windows Script Host

Is there a good way in registry or group policy to disable wscript.exe? Does it apply to all users?
    Purpose is to prevent users from accidentally running malicious scripts.
    I could just delete it or rename it, but it might come back after a Windows update.

:)

shmu26, Aug 28, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Getting too many pop-ups of "Windows Script Host" error. How to solve it?

The script is harmless.

A Google search for your error message pointed me to this page. It shows you how to enable the Windows Script Host with a registry hack:

Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine

Frederik Long, Aug 28, 2017
  4. How to disable Windows Script Host

You can use this per user (HKCU) or per PC (HKLM).
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote] Another option, per user based.
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "DisallowRun" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun" /v "1" /t REG_SZ /d "wscript.exe" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun" /v "2" /t REG_SZ /d "cscript.exe" /f[/quote]
    Symantec used to recommend it, but they have realized, that preventing malware does not really help them.

TairikuOkami, Aug 28, 2017
Thema:

How to disable Windows Script Host

1. How to disable Windows Script Host - Similar Threads - disable Script Host

2. Windows Script Host

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Script Host: Script: C:\Program Filesx86\SRW\Update756-\Packages\ea286bc3-0a91-482d-86dc-2371936fe6ee\install.vbsLine:CharPermission deniedError:Code:5 800A0046Source : Microsoft VBScript runtime error...
  3. windows script host

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows script host: I get 3 microsoft script host poppups everyday. how to fix such nuisance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-host/203b0854-1de2-4ac2-a154-853295c87f6a
  4. Windows Script Host

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Script Host: I'm getting this pop up Can not find script file "C:\ProgramData\77849F47-2706-4E434602EDCD\1.17.3.1\fiber.js" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-script-host/795f0a24-629b-4ff6-8ef9-5c73fb5b975e
  5. Windows Script Host

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Script Host: Having this problem for few days. A few days ago I ran a file which was a malware Detected by windows defender. I removed the malware and after that this comes when I open my PC or working on PC. I updated my windows after this happens but didn't solve the problem. Please...
  6. Windows Script Host

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Script Host: Recently i had a problem making my keyboard respond and i thought it needs a clean so i did , but after i pluged it in and started pc this message appeard on my screan : Windows Script Host Script: C:\Windows\system32\Maintenance.vbs Line: 10 Char: 2...
  7. how to remove windows script host

how to remove windows script host: Could you please help? Need to figure out how to remove the following scripts when starting the computer. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-script-host/2d3d1cef-3b61-4401-ad21-a22412dd461e
  8. Windows Script Host

Windows Script Host: Hello an error it's appearing on my screen many times, i hoper u can help me solve it. WINDOWS SCRIPT HOST The system cannot find the file specified c:\users\Public\libraries\check.vbs Thank you...
  9. windows script host

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows script host: i want to enable my windows script host but i can't find the enable button.can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-script-host/3cb21b6e-5db0-448e-8814-246500624a26
  10. windows script host

windows script host: can not find script file C:\users\(owner name)\appdata\roaming\yxuhf\fehpr.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/windows-script-host/c7b12540-d833-4170-82a6-cdeaafd304ea

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn off Windows Script host

2. how to blacklist wscript.exe