Windows 10: How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer

Discus and support How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There is a tutoral on this issue, but it doesn't solve the central problem, which is, where is the folder? I mean, which drive is it on? The image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Matthew Pollock, Feb 3, 2016.

1. How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer

There is a tutoral on this issue, but it doesn't solve the central problem, which is, where is the folder? I mean, which drive is it on?

The image shown in the tutoral gives the file path as beginning with "This PC". But WHERE on this PC?

My PC has several drives, and with Windows Explorer being increasingly dumbed down to support people who don't maintain logically arranged folder systems, life is becoming harder for the rest of us. I want to transfer individual files on Gladinet to Amazon AWS, where for cost reasons I store and share our company's 100 GB of data. But I can't transfer them if I don't know what drive they're on.

How to display the full path, including the drive?

:)

Matthew Pollock, Feb 3, 2016
  2. PianSa Win User

Suggestion in File Explorer to display full path of directory to move to/copy to

I do use the basic copy/paste but only in a workbook. I couldn’t use the drag function because of physical limitations. I achieve more control and stability only by clicking. And I would still have to scroll up/down when choosing which directory to paste
    the files to copy.

PianSa, Feb 3, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Suggestion in File Explorer to display full path of directory to move to/copy to

The way to move a file is to click on it and then drag it to the folder you want it to be in and then drop it.

If it is a number of files you can pick the files in a group by clicking on the first on and holding down the Shift key click on the last one in the group, Then click and hold on the highlighted group and drag to the folder you want to put it into.

If the files are not in a group and there are ones that you do not want to move hold down the Control, Ctrl, key and click to highlight those you want to move. After highlighting click and hold and drag to the directory and drop.

This is basic drag and drop.

lacrumb, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer

Hi Matthew, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Do you have a link to that tutorial?

This is my title bar:

How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer [​IMG]

EDIT:
    'This PC' is the beginning of the hierarchy, a particular drive would be the next entry.

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    RE : Where is This PC ?

davidhk, Feb 3, 2016
  6. In reply to DavidHK, OK I see the folder "This PC", but I would still like to know what drive it is on, and generally I would like file paths to indicate drives.

7. Edwin New Member

The Full Path is shown in the Title Bar and/or Address Bar, not in the Navigation Pane.

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  8. Ah right. Silly me, I didn't notice that. Thanks so much!

9. davidhk Win User
    RE : I would still like to know what drive it is on.

In my case, it is Acer (C: )

davidhk, Feb 3, 2016
  10. Clayton Win User
    As you can see from these two print screens, windows is only showing the full path from certain folders Perhaps the locations where the full path is not displayed are some sort of virtual folder? I agree with Matthew Pollock and davidhk - this is annoying behavior.

Clayton, Feb 14, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    This PC is a name, like Computer or My Computer. All drives derive from it, it is not on a drive nor does it reside on a drive.

This PC
    |
    |--- C:
    |--- D:
    |--- E:
    etc.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer - Similar Threads - display full file

2. file path does not display in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file path does not display in file explorer: File path is not display in file explorer windows 11, all it shows is documents, pictures, etc. I want c:\..users.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-path-does-not-display-in-file-explorer/08b7ae14-413f-42a2-9789-26cfb0e5adad
  3. file path does not display in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file path does not display in file explorer: File path is not display in file explorer windows 11, all it shows is documents, pictures, etc. I want c:\..users.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-path-does-not-display-in-file-explorer/08b7ae14-413f-42a2-9789-26cfb0e5adad
  4. Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path: The other day, IT guy made Explorer show the full path. Now, even though Display the full path in the title bar is UNchecked, the full path continues to display.Other things I've tried: Restore Defaults, checking and unchecking the box, multiple shut down & restarts....
  5. Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path

Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path: The other day, IT guy made Explorer show the full path. Now, even though Display the full path in the title bar is UNchecked, the full path continues to display.Other things I've tried: Restore Defaults, checking and unchecking the box, multiple shut down & restarts....
  6. Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar

Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar: In Windows Explorer, when I choose Downloads from the left column, I want this to appear in the title bar:C:\Users\MyUser\DownloadsWhat I currently see is either just the word Downloads or the phrase "My PC > Downloads"It does not work to check the box in View Options that...
  7. Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar: In Windows Explorer, when I choose Downloads from the left column, I want this to appear in the title bar:C:\Users\MyUser\DownloadsWhat I currently see is either just the word Downloads or the phrase "My PC > Downloads"It does not work to check the box in View Options that...
  8. Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?: Hi All, Any way to get/display the full path and file name of a file? It's easy to get the full path, but I want to get the path and file name. I know I can grab them separately. Can I get them together? How? I did a google and youtube search and didn't find any hits....
  10. Display Full Path in Title Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Display Full Path in Title Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Display Full Path in Title Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Display Full Path in Title Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to display either the name or full path of the current open folder in the title bar of File...