Windows 10: How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

Discus and support How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So look at this photo: [img] How can I make Windows 10 display those folder names longer by default? Thanks 95341 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017.

1. How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

So look at this photo:

How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff [​IMG]

How can I make Windows 10 display those folder names longer by default?

Thanks

:)

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  2. garym114 Win User

organization issues with 920 and nokia music

All the info for displaying music correctly in most all players is contained in the mp3 tag, artist name, song name, album name and cover art information is in the tag. The file naming, folders have no bearing on how it is displayed in the player.

I massage mp3 tags with a tag editor before I add anything to my PC music folder, Some try to get media player to correct the meta data.

garym114, Oct 12, 2017
  3. Folder and file names are aligned to the left

Looks like, in File Explorer, at the View tab - one must choose Large or Extra Large icons to have centered names. Medium icons will left justify.

How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff [​IMG]

PCR Just PCR, Oct 12, 2017
  4. How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

So I don't know how to do this. I'll let this thread sit here and hopefully someone replies with some helpful information.

On my other lap top I'm running Windows 8.1, and it displays more text before the cut...

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Other than highlighting the folder (single click it), I don't think it's possible. There might be some way to alter the registry for folder naming but that's just a guess. Your only option that I know of is to rename the folder to something short and simple.

Plankton, Oct 12, 2017
  6. Yeah, basically that pretty much sums it up.

Renaming folders is out of the question.

Clicking the folder does display the full name, but that's not what I want. I want full (or at least longer) names displayed by default.

Which leaves us with the registry, which I wouldn't know or dare touch without instructions.

So that leaves me, not being able to do anything about it. I tried Googling for a solution, and that was a waste of time. I couldn't find anything about this.

Funny thing, in Windows 8.1 I have the same folder names, and they're actually longer before the cutoff. I keep saying, something wrong with Windows 10. It's like going backwards on many things.

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    You could just choose a different view on File Explorer's View tab. Some, like 'Tiles' and 'List' have more space available for the names. 'Details' of course has an adjustable width column for the names. You're not tied to using the same view for all folders, so you could use the most appropriate view for each.

8. How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

I've been riding with the Large Icons view for years. And I work from home, spend 15+ hours a day on the lap top often. Changing the view would blow fuses in my brain and make me miserable. So no, I wouldn't do that. But thanks for the advice *Smile

I also like consistency, everything being the same always beats everything being different. It makes for a simpler life. Less shit to remember and deal with *Smile

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Oh well, it was worth a try. Remember, if you hover the mouse over each of the the Views you get a preview of how it would look - could be useful if you just want a quick look at all the full names, but not permanent unless you click.

10. Yeah, I know. Thanks.

I know I'm nitpicking here. But I'm a solopreneur, and if I can even save a second somewhere, that's all the time in the world for me. Total micromanagement of time, to save as much as possible, cuz I have so little of it left at the end of the day.

RealJustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

1. How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff - Similar Threads - display longer folder

2. Folder Sidebar - Folder / Application Names Cutoff

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Sidebar - Folder / Application Names Cutoff: Hello, for a long time my sidebar has cutoff the names of my folders from displaying properly. If I mouse over them they show correctly for whichever folder is moused over, but otherwise I can't see which folder is which. The picture below is what it currently looks like for...
  3. Folder Sidebar - Folder / Application Names Cutoff

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Sidebar - Folder / Application Names Cutoff: Hello, for a long time my sidebar has cutoff the names of my folders from displaying properly. If I mouse over them they show correctly for whichever folder is moused over, but otherwise I can't see which folder is which. The picture below is what it currently looks like for...
  4. Folder Sidebar - Folder / Application Names Cutoff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Photo App No Longer Displays File Name in Viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo App No Longer Displays File Name in Viewer: Today, with no update or settings change, my photo app no longer displays the file name at the top of the photo viewer. Instead there are several tools/icons in that place. Yesterday the viewer displayed the file name, minimize, full, and close icons.It does display if I...
  6. Windows Photo App No Longer Displays File Name in Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo App No Longer Displays File Name in Viewer: Today, with no update or settings change, my photo app no longer displays the file name at the top of the photo viewer. Instead there are several tools/icons in that place. Yesterday the viewer displayed the file name, minimize, full, and close icons.It does display if I...
  7. Compressing files cutoff halfway, how to continue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressing files cutoff halfway, how to continue?: I was compressing a huge file using 7zip, and power shutdown half way. Is there to pick up where it left off and continue the compression? submitted by /u/HistoricalTouch0 [link] [comments]...
  8. Folder/file name display mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder/file name display mode: Hi, With anniversary update microsoft showed another fine art of its genius developers by changing the folders name display from center aligned to left aligned was a bad change, from initial windows 95, it was center aligned, i hoped to fix it by installing all 4 updates...
  9. How to lengthen the displayed folder name ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to lengthen the displayed folder name ?: Hi*Smile I have exactly the same problem solved here http://superuser.com/questions/66431...e-in-windows-7 but Win 10 isn't Win 7 and the regedit trick Iconspacing don't work for me, the space is enlarged but the folder names will get cut off in the middle of the word...
  10. Files names not displaying

in Windows 10 Support
    Files names not displaying: I am using Windows 10 and Office 2013 When I Open several workbooks at once and select the Excel Icon on the task bar, the workbooks appear as Excel, but displays no names. When I click any of the workbooks showing as Excel only , the name will then display for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display longer name folder