Windows 10: How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?

Discus and support How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do you Fully Format a USB flash drive correctly if you suspect there might be a problem with the drive? I know there are a few methods to Format a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportsfan148, Jan 14, 2018.

1. How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?

How do you Fully Format a USB flash drive correctly if you suspect there might be a problem with the drive? I know there are a few methods to Format a USB flash drive in Windows.
    In Windows...there's, This PC and Right click on drive/select format and theres also the Disk Management option. For both of those do you just uncheck the "Quick" box on the format options?
    The other option is Diskpart...I'm not exactly sure what you type there for a Full format.
    Is any of these options better or recommended for a Full format or doesn't it matter? Do they all do exactly the same thing?

:)

sportsfan148, Jan 14, 2018

2. Do you have to format a USB flash drive manually in windows before downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool?

I've never had to format one. FAT32 has been the format for all the flash drives I've had, but I can't speak for those over 64 GB. I don't remember the exact amount of free space you need. I think 8 GB should be enough, but you'd certainly be OK if
    you have 16 GB or more free. Since you can buy 32 GB ones for $9 these days, that shouldn't be a problem.

Hula_Baloo, Jan 14, 2018
  3. Do you have to format a USB flash drive manually in windows before downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool?

Hi,

If your USB flash drive has data on it or a previous version of the Windows Installation media (the Anniversary update for example) do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before downloading the Windows Media Creation
    Tool to create the Windows 10 Bootable USB flash drive installation media?

I'm wondering if you guys format the drive to empty it first. I dont know if it is necessary or not. If it is what selections should I make ...FAT32 and choose default allocation unit size?

Sportsfan_881, Jan 14, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?

Full format writes zeros over the whole disk. Unless you have private data you want to be unrecoverable it isn't worth it as USB sticks have very limited number of times they can be written to (compared to other types of storage like HDD or SSD). It will not help if your USB is on its last legs - it will probably make it worse.

Doing a format through right click, disk management or diskpart is the same. For diskpart you would omit the work "quick" in red below to do a full format:

Code: diskpart select disk 2 format fs=ntfs label="Whatever" quick[/quote] I would do a quick format (unless you want to make some deleted files unrecoverable) - that will just destroy and recreate the partition table and your data will be overwritten over time.

If you are concerned about your USB stick failing you should probably buy a new one although I'm not aware if or how it is possible to predict failure.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

in Diskpart when you do the format instead of typing format fs=ntfs (or fat32 ), quick simply ignore the quick parameter. i.e don't type it in.

Depending on capacity of usb drive plus its speed (usb2 / usb3) it could take a while.

(I was just beaten to it by previous poster !!!!)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 14, 2018
  6. Helmut Win User
    The Windows formatting does not always work. For example I can put a USB flash drive in to a TV to do recordings and it registers that drive and/or does something that prevents formatting in Windows.

I find the HP USB Key Format Tool V2.2.3 works on those, untick the Quick Format box.

Helmut, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Thanks lx07, Jimbo and Helmut for the help and advice. Its much appreciated. I don't know for sure that there is any problem at all with the USB flash drive. In fact I suspect that there isn't. It hasn't been used much. The Media Creation Tool seems to have a problem with it though. I think because Rufus had placed a GPT partition on it that I removed with the Convert MBR command to put it back to normal. That wasn't enough though seemingly so I'm hoping that a Full format sorts it out as seems to have worked for a guy on another thread

sportsfan148, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?

1. How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive? - Similar Threads - Full format USB

2. How to format USB Flash Drives in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to format USB Flash Drives in Windows: Most USB Flash Drives that you plug in to a Windows PC are detected automatically by the system. Some may need to be formatted before you can start using them. Put simply, formatting makes sure that the operating system can interact with the device. Files can be saved,...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  5. formatting a new usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    formatting a new usb flash drive: What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it? Thanks for your help Ken,...
  6. USB Flash drive not able to format

USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  7. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  8. Completely format bootable USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely format bootable USB flash drive: Hi How to completely format a bootable USB flash drive because I found there's a partition on the flash drive named "UEFI_NTFS" (EFI > Boot & Rufus folders with .efi files inside) that cannot be formatted. My other bootable USB with MBR partition can be fully formatted. I...
  9. format the USB flash

format the USB flash: When I entered my flash, I got massage this USB need to format before its used, when I tried to format, the computer or windows was unable to format please note that my windows is 10...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does a full format do on a flash drive