Windows 10: How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?

Discus and support How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think it best to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer because of previous problems with a Win XP to 7 upgrade and the problems with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Phil3, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Phil3 Win User

How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?

I think it best to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer because of previous problems with a Win XP to 7 upgrade and the problems with this Win 7 to Win10 upgrade. Blinking screen, no sound, "Critical Error" and Start Menu not working, on this Win7 > Win10 upgrade.

Not being a computer expert, by any means, how best to go about this? Sorry for some basic questions, but a novice. I backed up all the data. I collected all my discs and other info for reinstalling apps.

1) I am using a 60GB SSD drive for the OS. How do I thoroughly clean and wipe this drive in preparation for Win10? I have a 1TB drive for storage.
    2) I believe a Win10 file was downloaded to my PC to start the upgrade before. Is this the file to use for a clean install? If so, what is the name of it? Do I put it on USB stick, boot the PC from that, and all goes well, or...? What about a registration or activation code?
    3) Is there anything else I need to know or do?

Thank you.

Phil

:)

Phil3, Sep 7, 2015

2. Upgraded Win7 to Win 10 online. How clean install and save personal files.

Upgraded Win7 to Win 10 online and activated. Used 6 months with automatic updates. Previous update accounts were lost and names reassigned. New today, open only in safe mode, and in account other than admin. I'd like to clean install. Can this be done
    online? I have no OS media and have a lot of files to protect. Thanks, Patrick

PatrickDanahy, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Upgraded Win7 to Win 10 online. How clean install and save personal files.

You can use the Reset option and choose the option to save your files:

How
    to: Perform a clean install using Reset this PC in Windows 10

or

You can download install media, perform a custom install, then recovery files from Windows.old

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

the

How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

then

Recover
    personal files from the Windows.old Folder such as Documents Pictures and Windows Live Mail Emails in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Sep 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Sep 7, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Phil3 Win User
    OK, these replies are VERY helpful. I feel confident I can do this. One remaining question that perhaps I should post separately. I have a Crucial 60GB SSD. It has the OS. How to clean that completely so it is ready for Win10?

Phil3, Sep 7, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Judging from the last paragraph here :
    SSDs and Secure Erase - Crucial Community

Boot from Windows 10 install media, select custom install, then advanced, you will get a list of all the partitions on your drives. Click each one on the SSD, and delete so you are left with only one unallocated space on the SSD. Then just stop right there and let that "cook" overnight.

Then select the unallocated space and that is where you tell windows 10 to install to.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade? - Similar Threads - Clean Install Problematical

2. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to do clean WIN 10 install: How to do?...
  3. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
  4. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  6. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  7. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  8. Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD

Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD: I went through quite a few upgrades when Windows 10 arrived but have taken a break and don't feel up to speed on what has changed regarding upgrading with a "clean install". I am familiar with the Media Creation tool but used that for upgrades, and have a question on the...
  9. How to do a clean install of win 10 after a 8.1 upgrade *Retail v.*

How to do a clean install of win 10 after a 8.1 upgrade *Retail v.*: There is a lot of questioning about making a clean install of windows 10 once you upgraded from Windows 8.1 retail version. Well i had this questioning and i didn't found any clear instruction on forums or anywhere else. I spoke with microsofts agents, i had good anwers and i...
  10. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...