Windows 10: How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607

Discus and support How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a rare problem with my system, where it freezes. I have a Ryzen CPU, and a search for this problem put me to an AMD Community post where several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrolle, Mar 14, 2018.

1. mrolle Win User

How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607

I have a rare problem with my system, where it freezes. I have a Ryzen CPU, and a search for this problem put me to an AMD Community post where several Ryzen users have experienced a similar problem, and some of them have worked around it in various ways and others report they're hosed.
    One suggestion was that there's a bug in the Creators Update and reverting back to an older version (i.e. 1607) solved the problem. So I thought I'd try that, at least temporarily.
    I'd like advice on how to do this.
    I can make a recovery disk of my present system (1709).
    But I don't know how to install 1607 and keep my settings and apps. I don't even know where to get 1607.
    My computer doesn't show any installed updates older than 1709. So reverting back to an older version won't work.
    Alternatively, could I clean install 1607 as a second OS in the boot loader. Since it's for an experiment, I wouldn't mind if I lose settings of apps, though it would be nice to preserve them.
    I'm currently downloading an ISO (unofficial) of 1511. I would try reverting to 1511 if anyone can vouch for its safety.

:)

mrolle, Mar 14, 2018
  2. obaodunsi Win User

'Resolution not supported'

Good day,

The problematic version is/was is 1709 version of windows 10. I downgraded back to the 1607 version and my problem was solved. All drivers are up to date. I also had two people from the support centre look at my pc. they both recommended the downgrade to
    fix the problem after I was done updating my drivers.

I do believe the problem is from the 1709 version and not the TV. I could be wrong

obaodunsi, Mar 14, 2018
  3. How to manually downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1703 after the 10 day Rollback period?

I do understand how the rollback period works, the computer is at that "stuck" part, I'm just wanting to get it working right again. If a factory reset is all that will do it, then that's what I'll do.

Aerodynamic877, Mar 14, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

You cannot downgrade to an earlier version keeping your apps ands settings, it has to be a clean install I'm afraid.

That may be unwise if you don't trust the source.

This third-party app generates the links required to download an ISO direct from Microsoft. You'll be able to get 1607 this way.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

The site seems to be down at the moment, so try again in a little while. Or, if you can't wait, there is an archived copy of the page in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, you can download the tool from there too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180222...-download-tool

Edit: HeiDoc is back up now.

5. zbook New Member
    What progress did you make in working up the freezing?
    Had you tried a bootable Ubuntu /Linux drive?
    Had you tried clean boot?
    Had you tried safe mode?

zbook, Mar 14, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    That would be the preferred solution, if only for the fact that 1607 is at 'end of support' within weeks and will almost certainly try to update to 1709 immediately. Quite separately from windows update, Microsoft are pushing the Update Assistant onto all previous versions.

zbook is best placed to help you there.

7. mrolle Win User
    Thanks for the links to 1607.

When I download 1607, can I do an install as a second OS, and how do I do this?
    I assume that I would choose D: as my system drive for the install, so it would not affect the 1709 Windows on C:. But will it make two items in the boot menu automatically, or do I have to do something extra.

If 1607 will try to immediately upgrade to 1709, that would defeat the purpose of installing 1607. I can disconnect my Internet connection long enough to tell 1607 not to do automatic updates. Will this be sufficient? I suppose I could reconfigure my network on the 1607 to be unconnected to the Internet, so long as it is still connected to my LAN.

mrolle, Mar 17, 2018
  8. mrolle Win User

I've now got my .iso file for 1607. I tried mounting it with PowerIso and running its setup.exe, but in this case it only gives me the option to keep nothing. I've burned a DVD and I booted from it into the windows setup. There's a button called Install, which I don't want to select yet, because I don't know what options I will be offered (if any) or whether it will do a clean install on the spot.

I've read online that I will get to a place to select a Custom install. If I select my existing D: drive as the location, will it erase the D: and then install the system there? Or should I create a new E: partition with enough space and install it there?

mrolle, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    It is against the EULA to have two copies of Windows installed at the same time on a single machine with just the one license. Strictly speaking, you are expected to buy a license for the second install.

As to how to dual boot, there's a tutorial...
    *Arrow Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

I don't use dual boot. When I want to use an earlier version on my test PC (system two in my specs) I restore a system image. That way there is never more than one Windows installed at any time. You could also stay within the EULA by swapping out the current HDD and replacing it with another one and installing 1607 on that.

No, the best way is to hide the update called 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709'. You will also need to hide KB4023814 which installs the Update Assistant.
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/4...stall-the-late

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

I still think the best solution is to see if zbook can help you sort out 1709.

10. Bree New Member
    Yes, running Setup from within Windows will upgrade (or in this case downgrade) the current system. You can't do a downgrade and keep your apps and files.

See the tutorial link I have just given in post #7 for the correct way to install as dual boot. Although it's talking about dual booting with 7 or 8, AFAIK it should work with 10 too (though as I said, I haven't tried it myself).

11. mrolle Win User
    I've created unallocated space to install W10 into. I have a bootable DVD for the install.

How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607 [​IMG]

When I boot from the DVD, the installer tells me that it can't install Windows onto the partition, because the disk has an MBR partition table and needs a GPT disk. Whatever tha means? I don't know how to make a screenshot here.

So I'm following the tutorial referenced above by Bree, and running setup from the sources folder in the mounted ISO file. However, the unallocated space does not show up.

So what do I do now??

mrolle, Mar 18, 2018
  12. zbook New Member
    Use the information in this link to post images of disk management:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials

Download and install: Minitool partition Wizard: MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    Post an image into the thread.
    If there is any problem posting images please use one drive or drop box or google share links.

The minimum recommended space per Microsoft is 20 GB.
    So give yourself a little extra space.
    Windows will automatically delete memory dump files if the free space is < 25.
    So if you can give yourself some extra buffer it may better once you can get Windows installed.
    Windows 10 System Requirements Specifications | Microsoft

zbook, Mar 18, 2018
  13. mrolle Win User

I followed your suggestions. Unallocated space now 25 GB. Installed Partition Magic, see screenshot,

Now what?

mrolle, Mar 18, 2018
  14. mrolle Win User
    I'm hoping somebody will tell me how to install my 1607 DVD into the free space on my disk, so that I can proceed.

mrolle, Mar 18, 2018
  15. mrolle Win User
    I'm hoping somebody will tell me how to install my 1607 DVD into the free space on my disk, so that I can proceed.

mrolle, Mar 19, 2018
Thema:

1. How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607 - Similar Threads - downgrade 1709 1607

2. How to downgrade to Windows 7 from 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to downgrade to Windows 7 from 10: I got this 2009 Sony VAIO laptop running Windows 10. It's a nice laptop, yet I want to downgrade to Windows 7 for a more nostalgic and faster experience, because that is what it was built for. Apparently, I'm too late to just download the ISO, and I can't find any other way...
  3. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?: I have Toshiba laptop windows 7 core i3.So like years ago I upgraded it to windows 8 and it was ok, after that months ago i also updated to windows 10 and now its really slow and not responding as actual.So I downloaded the source of windows 8.1 from the website and tried to...
  4. downgrade win 10 ver1803 to ver 1709 or 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    downgrade win 10 ver1803 to ver 1709 or 1703: I own a Lenovo y520 laptop which got it's win 10 upgraded to ver1803. Now I am experiencing a faster battery drainage issue and sometimes battery also drops to 0% from 67% suddenly. I am afraid this battery drainage and sudden shutdown of my laptop will harm the hardware in...
  5. Downgrading Windows 10 from 1803 to 1709 problem

Downgrading Windows 10 from 1803 to 1709 problem: I'm trying to rollback Windows 10 from 1803 to 1709 I do have the windows.old folders but whenever I go into Settings and then to recovery it still doesn't give me the option that says Go back to the previous version of Windows 10. I need someone help for this in order for me...
  6. Update from Windows 10 version 1607 to 1709 - Product Key

Update from Windows 10 version 1607 to 1709 - Product Key: Hi All, If want to update from Windows 10 version 1607 to 1709, it require new license key (product key) ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/update-from-windows-10-version-1607-to-1709/b7e79b53-5c8f-4029-82eb-a895147586d8
  7. Cannot upgrade Windows 10 1607 build 14393.2007 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade Windows 10 1607 build 14393.2007 to 1709: Hi, as the subject says, I cannot update Windows 10 to the latest version. Already tried DISM and sfc /scannow, no luck Also tried windows update troubleshooter, windows update reset, chkdsk /f, clean boot, windows update assistant etc. Any suggestions? I have attached...
  8. Downgrading from 1703 to 1607 (no windows.old)

Downgrading from 1703 to 1607 (no windows.old): Hi, I'm having problems with the 1703 version of Windows, my laptop simply hates it: long story short, everything loads up extremely slow, games have low FPS and so on. I just want to get back to 1607. Problem is, the last time I installed Windows (back in May I believe), it...
  9. Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511

Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511: Recently Windows 10 on my desktop PC upgraded itself to Build 1607. Immediately my Brother printer stopped working (it was removed from the list of printers and could not be reinstated). Other funny things happened too. I downgraded back to Build 1511 and the printer now...
  10. How to recover from a Windows 10 ver. 1607

How to recover from a Windows 10 ver. 1607: I just tried to update Windows 10, on the first boot windows crashed. When I restarted I got the message no operating system found. Luckley (I thought) I created a recovery USB drive before updating. First I booted from that drive and tried to repair start-up--didn't work. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 downgrade 1709 to1607

2. windows 10 version 1607 downgrade

3. windows 10 downgrade from 1709 to 1607

4. how to downgrade windows 10 version 1607 ,
  5. how to downgrade window 10 1709 to 1607,
  6. downgrade windows 10 1803 to 1607,
  7. how to downgrade 1803 to 1709,
  8. downgradefrom windows 1803 to windows 1709,
  9. downgrade windows 10 to 1607,
  10. how to rollback from update in windows phone 1709 to 1607,
  11. Downgradefrom version 1709 to 1607