Windows 10: How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

Discus and support How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So my Laptop came with the home edition and I decided to upgrade to pro and tried to activate windows, but it said my key was invalid, so now I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thekittymix, Sep 30, 2016.

1. How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

So my Laptop came with the home edition and I decided to upgrade to pro and tried to activate windows, but it said my key was invalid, so now I want to go back to home edition. I tried clean installing by using the media cleaner tool but it keeps reverting back to pro. Please help.

:)

Thekittymix, Sep 30, 2016

2. Downgrade from Windows 10 pro to home

how can i Downgrade from Windows 10 pro to home cause my activation key is for home edition

narsisarabian, Sep 30, 2016
  3. Downgrade from windows 10 pro to windows 10 home single language edition.

first i had windows 10 home single language edition which was pre-activated then i installed windows 10 pro edition but then i saw that it needs a product key to activate.so could you please tell me how can i downgrade from windows 10 pro to windows 10
    home single language edition.

ShoaibAkhtar_AK, Sep 30, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

After an upgrade (it was an upgrade wasn't it, not a clean install?) you should still be able to return to you previous version of windows (if you are quick enough).

5. Tried that, wouldn't work. It says that the previous build of windows isn't found on my computer

6. Bree New Member
    If you've clean installed Pro then you need to download the iso image (or make USB install media) using the Media Creation Tool. Though if you clean installed Pro, sounds like you already have that.

Not sure what you mean by "the media cleaner tool" but if that was the 'Reset this PC' option that would just try to clean up your Pro install.

You need to run Setup from your install media (preferably by booting from it) and choose not to keep anything. You should be offered the choice of Home or Pro. The one set of install media works for both. If asked for the key, skip this by choosing 'I don't have one'. If you succeed in installing Home it will be activated automatically because the MS activation servers should already hold a digital licence for your machine.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    A clean install of Windows 10 should not be defaulting to installing Windows 10 Pro unless it finds a product key for a Pro version of Windows in UEFI/BIOS or you manually enter a product key for Windows 10 Pro. Windows setup will first use a product key detected in UEFI/BIOS to install the version of Windows the product key is for. If it doesn't find a product key in UEFI/BIOS then it will ask the user for a product key. If the user enters a product key, setup will install the version of Windows that product key is for. If the user chooses to skip entering the product key, then setup will ask the user which version they want to install.

The exception to the above rule is if the Windows 10 install media you are using has only the Pro version in it - which has not been the case since the first release build of Windows 10 build 10240. Both the first "November update" version 1511 and the "Anniversary update" version 1607 of Windows 10 come with both Home and Pro contained in the ISO file/install media.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2016
  8. How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

Ok I will try it! Thanks guys!

9. Okay so when I meant media cleaner tool I actually meant media creation tool, and every time I try to install Windows 10 Home it keeps saying if I want to install pro, even when I choose to keep nothing.

How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition [​IMG]

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to do a clean install by booting the computer from the install media. You are trying to do an "upgrade" by running setup from within the already running Windows.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Ah, I see where your problem comes from. One step before that, choose 'Create installation media for another PC'. It will offer by default to create media in the version appropriate to your PC. Run the install from that media and you will be offered the choice of Home or Pro.

How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition [​IMG]

12. Yeah, I have been trying to create installation media for another PC for the past couple of hours, I have been trying to upgrade it. Which is why I am really confused on why its not giving me the choice. I have been saving it by ISO into my desktop.

13. Bree New Member

Running it from your desktop it will only allow an install of your existing version. You need the iso on bootable media (or run the MCT again and make USB media. See option one: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html). Boot from this and you should be offered Home or Pro.

14. Ah okay thanks. Ahh great now I need to buy a usb Flash drive.....ugh

15. I installed it to a usb drive and it IS still saying the same thing. I am going to scream.

Thema:

1. How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition - Similar Threads - Downgrade Pro Home

2. Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition: I some how accidentally installed Windows 10 Pro instead of home edition that I have key/license for. I have tried doing the Registry edits in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and the other path as well but when I run the...
  3. Is it possible to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to the Home edition?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to the Home edition?: I have a computer that has Windows 10 Pro that I want to donate to a charitable foundation that houses and educates at-risk teenagers. The Director does not want the students to have access to the Pro version of Windows 10; all his existing computers have the Home version...
  4. Downgrade from Windows 10 Pro to HOME Edition.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Pro to HOME Edition.: I have a Dell Xps 8900 I purchased several years ago that came with Windows 7 Pro. I recently updated to Windows 10 Pro, but I want Windows 10 HOME Edition. Can this be done, and if so, how???...
  5. How do I downgrade windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I downgrade windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition?: I have an unactivated trial version of windows 10 pro, but a key for windows 10 home edition. Unfortunately this key cannot be entered in the activation settings since it’s technically a lower class of windows, and Microsoft only allows you to upgrade your operating system....
  6. Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...

Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...: I recently just finished building my dream pc & managed to get Windows 10 on it without any actual "issues". The only thing I didn't realize until later on was that I originally intended to get Windows 10Home edition & instead I have the Windows 10 Pro edition which I don't...
  7. How to downgrade Windows from Windows 10 PRO to Windows 10 Home Edition

How to downgrade Windows from Windows 10 PRO to Windows 10 Home Edition: I bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home edition. My son somehow installed Windows 10 Pro on it. Now the windows's activation status shows "Windows is not activated" and the Troubleshooting tool displays the following message; "We found a Windows 10 Home...
  8. How to downgrade windows Pro to home

How to downgrade windows Pro to home: Hi , I bought a laptop with pre installed windows 10 home , but today updated my laptop windows 10 home to pro by third parties product key it was updated but showing windows isn't activated,. 1. How to get my original windows 10 home product key. 2. Is it...
  9. Downgrade from win pro to home edition

Downgrade from win pro to home edition: Hi. I got key for windows home edition, I took my pc to shop for repair but it is reformatted, they installed pro edition. Is it possible to downgrade to home edition ?. If yes how can I do this, if not what is solution ?. Please help. Thanks. 67557
  10. Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition

Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition: I was finally able to upgrade Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10... All went perfectly until Windows told me it was not activated, which went smoothly... After rebooting Windows 10 again said it was not activated... I checked and even tried to reactivate it but not only would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. downgrade to home edition

2. how to install home edition on pro edition

3. downgrade from windows 10 pro to home edition

4. downgrade windows 10 pro to home edition,
  5. windows 10 downgrade to home edition,
  6. using windows 10 home key in pro downgrade,
  7. windows 10 downgrade to home efition