Windows 10: How to download with a limited data plan

Discus and support How to download with a limited data plan in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've searched on the subject, here and googling but not really finding an exact answer. I live in the country so only have broadband by satellite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andreah1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. andreah1 Win User

How to download with a limited data plan

Hi, I've searched on the subject, here and googling but not really finding an exact answer. I live in the country so only have broadband by satellite with limited data each month. I can't download windows 10 without just about using it up. I have a pc and a laptop. The pc has 8.1 and the laptop has 7. The laptop I can bring to work and use someone's mifi but I would have to do it during working hours and it looks like I can't just go to microsoft and download when I want. Have to wait. So, what do I do? I tried bringing up the command prompt and typing in the command to force download that has been posted in the forum but nothing happened. Is there any other way to do this over a limited connection? Do you think after a few months they will just have it available to download at my leisure on their website? I'm at a loss.

:)

andreah1, Jul 29, 2015

2. small point of curiosity

@Jimmy, if he has limited or no data plan, how is he going to download the app ?? With or without receiving a txt !

carman58---01, Jul 29, 2015
  3. [ Pete ] Win User
    window phone update

Yes, it's possible to update the phone via cellular data. There's a setting in settings->update that allows it (depending on data settings). Service providers may limit the ability, however, regardless of whether the use has large/unlimited data plan.

For clarification, I'm paraphrasing this from the Windows Phone team:-

"The Mobile Operator plans for all users across all plans. So while a user may have an unlimited data plan the Mobile Operator takes into account the basic user who has a limited data plan.

They will allow the user to download as much information as they want, but will limit Microsoft from sending a package to the phone that the user does not know the full size of for the automatic download or even manual retrieval.

This is just how MOs do things. How to download with a limited data plan :("

[ Pete ], Jul 29, 2015
  4. andreah1 Win User

Would this be something I could use and download when I have wifi available to me? Windows 10

andreah1, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    If you use the Media Creation Tool create to USB (or maybe someone you know has done it), then you can upgrade, or even later, after the upgrade a clean install. all the PCs that are compatible you wish without any problems. That's what I did and the upgrade & activation went smooth.

Cliff S, Jul 29, 2015
  6. andreah1 Win User
    THANK YOU. Now, once I download the tool onto a usb drive, would I have to do one for each pc I have (one desktop one laptop) or would the same file work for both and I would just enter the product key for each one as I do it?

andreah1, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It depends on if they are both the same architecture(32 bit or 64 bit) if they are both the same then yes. Once you are upgraded(you should be connected to the internet for updates during the upgrade) go to settings app updates & security>Activation to activate 10(make it genuine) Tutorial: Activate Windows 10 I did that part after setting it up how I wanted it. It took a couple of tries, probably because their servers are VERY busy*Smile.

One other thing, you might want to have a copy of your video drivers installer at hand for both PCs before upgrading. That's the 1st thing after the upgrade I reinstalled, so it's easier to read everything in the correct scaling.

Cliff S, Jul 29, 2015
  8. tumas04 Win User

tumas04, Jul 29, 2015
  9. andreah1 Win User
    I'll look at it, I "think" they are both 64 bit and both will be for the regular 10, not pro. I don't have a non-windows machine so will probably have to do it the way most are.
    And now you will know how non techy I am - how do I copy my video driver installers? My machines are just plain old stock dell's, nothing fancy on them. I was under the impression that nothing had to be reinstalled, that's it's supposed to take care of everything for me? I'm thinking I won't bother with 10, seems easier to just keep what I have. *Sad

andreah1, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Just go to manufacturers site and go to support look for drivers and download them and save to a USB or external disk. It's easy really.

The video drivers were the only thing I had to reinstall(might be because they're integrated graphics and not a graphics card) but that was my laptop (I haven't done my desktop yet). I knew before hand, I needed them, as I have about 60 installs while testing during the insider program, since last October on my laptop.

Cliff S, Jul 29, 2015
  11. andreah1 Win User
    Ok, I'll give it a whirl!

andreah1, Jul 29, 2015
  12. andreah1 Win User
    Can I ask a stupid question? First - I downloaded the tool and for my laptop (as I had free wifi where I was) I used the tool to update it. Everything worked fine, didn't need any drivers. I then also created installation media for another pc so that I can use that for the desktop I have at home. BUT, before I do that, I want to know if it will update my desktop or will it be a clean install? I only want to update it (save my settings and files) but from googling I can't get a clear answer, it seems that it would be a clean install which is not what I'm looking for. Thinking I'm going to have to sit up all night when I have free data at home from midnight to 5am to do it correctly. *Sad Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

andreah1, Aug 4, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Do not boot from the USB. Just put the USB drive in while running your old operating system and run setup.exe found on the USB drive and you will do an upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 4, 2015
  14. craarc Win User
    get someone to post you a dvd with the ISO file on it.

craarc, Aug 4, 2015
  15. andreah1 Win User
    Isn't the ISO the same as the usb and as long as I don't boot it should work the same? That's what I'm going to try but want to be sure it will update not overwrite.

andreah1, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. How to download with a limited data plan - Similar Threads - download limited data

2. Data limit closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data limit closed: I have windows 11, data limit closed, how I use internet. I can't use internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-limit-closed/fc6966ec-5322-40e6-9d6f-c30c061337b4
  3. Data limit closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data limit closed: I have windows 11, data limit closed, how I use internet. I can't use internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-limit-closed/fc6966ec-5322-40e6-9d6f-c30c061337b4
  4. data limit stuked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    data limit stuked: in win 10 data limit stuked 0mb why ?please solution.gives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-limit-stuked/a49abc8d-25e5-4371-b1f3-8d0e31d95a6b
  5. Power plan cpu limiter does not work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power plan cpu limiter does not work: What is the point of the power plan cpu MinMax settings if any program that wants extra power can just take it? it does not work submitted by /u/mizzlekinkizzle [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6u7ch/power_plan_cpu_limiter_does_not_work/
  6. Wifi data limit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi data limit: I setup a wifi data limit and when it's reached a notification is sended to me. Can I disable wifi automatically instead? submitted by /u/Geekest07 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iv3gwv/wifi_data_limit/
  7. Hot Spot - Metered Connection "Limited Data Plan" is inadequate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hot Spot - Metered Connection "Limited Data Plan" is inadequate: I access the internet using a Hot Spot through my T-Mobile phone. Metered Connections Limited Data Plan is ON. Servicing stack update (SSU) is current. The automatic updates function REPEATEDLY attempt to download regardless of my "Active Hours" setting: 9 am to 11...
  8. Windows 10 downloading updates passed data limit

Windows 10 downloading updates passed data limit: Windows 10 x64 1809 build downloading and installing updates even when monthly data limit is reached. So there is really no way to disabled updates at all ? I tried: Group policy editor (dont have that on home edition) Disable update service (something else will enable...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Updates causing problems on limited data plan

Windows 10 Automatic Updates causing problems on limited data plan: Hello I have been searching this for awhile now but can't seem to find a reasonable solution. My internet on my computer is connected via my mobile phone through tethering. It works well for my needs and I have limited data. Windows 10 Automatic Updates has been a...
  10. Best way to download the Fall Creaters Update on data limits?

Best way to download the Fall Creaters Update on data limits?: My internet has data limits. Which way would use less data for updating 2 PCs? 1. Update each PC through Windows Update. 2. Download an .ISO file on 1 PC and use it on the other. 95696