Windows 10: How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

Discus and support How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is more or less a project, seeing if I CAN do this successfully without messing up my Windows OS. I have 2 hard drives (both same 2 TB capacity);... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrokenDaily, Aug 19, 2018.

1. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

This is more or less a project, seeing if I CAN do this successfully without messing up my Windows OS. I have 2 hard drives (both same 2 TB capacity); one is my main Windows 10 OS system, the other was/will-be intended for system-image/macrium-reflect backups in-case my main OS drive bites the dust. I want to try my hand at installing linux on the 2nd drive and dual-booting windows and linux without problems

I have my BIOS set to run on UFEI instead of Legacy (used the mbr2gpt tool on my Win10 OS drive), and from what my system info tells me, I can't run secure boot at all on either drive.

How would I go about doing this right. And if I decide that dual-booting isn't worth it and I delete linux from my 2nd hard drive, how would I fix my windows bootloader (if it needs fixing at all). The intended linux build is android-x86

:)

BrokenDaily, Aug 19, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    • Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    • Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    • After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    • Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    • Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    • Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Aug 19, 2018
  4. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

Unable to see Dual Boot option

Hi David,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the OS to default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    • Click on the Boot tab.
    • Select the OS from the list and click on the Set as default.
    Reference: Refer to the following Wiki article created by J W Stuart on
    How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview.

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

1. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot 2nd

2. Dual Booting with Different OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Booting with Different OS: Hi, I have got a workstation with preinstalled windows 11. I want to work on some softwares which run on Linux. Would it be possible for me to install Linux in the same workstation without loosing the windows 11 ? With dual booting is there a chance of loosing licensing an...
  3. Dual Booting with Different OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Booting with Different OS: Hi, I have got a workstation with preinstalled windows 11. I want to work on some softwares which run on Linux. Would it be possible for me to install Linux in the same workstation without loosing the windows 11 ? With dual booting is there a chance of loosing licensing an...
  4. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  5. Elementary OS Dual Boot EFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Elementary OS Dual Boot EFI?: I'm desperate right now. I have the following hard drives: 120 GB SSD (Windows 10 EFI) 1TB SSD (500GB games) Now I want to install Elementary on the other half of the 1TB SSD to get a dual boot system which I use over EFI boats. Which partitions do I need and...
  6. Dual boot Phoenix OS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot Phoenix OS: Hi ! I have a HP 15 da0002tu notebook preinstalled Windows 10 . I need to dual boot windows and phoenix os. So I installed phoenix os to my harddrive from the exe installer. It installed successfully but when I turn on my laptop it keeps boot directly to windows 10 without...
  7. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  8. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  9. Install older OS as dual boot?

Install older OS as dual boot?: I read on the MS help website that you cannot install older versions of windows as dualboot, however I am having issues playing the same games that I played on win8.1. Microsoft promised that Win10 would improve games, but some of the games I'm playing were rendered...
  10. Eliminating second OS from dual boot

Eliminating second OS from dual boot: I have Win 10 as the second of a dual boot with Vista. Each is on it's own hard drive. If I remove the Vista drive then win 10 won't boot as it is looking for winload.exe. Is there a way I can give it access to the winload.exe it is looking forand then uninstall Vista? If...