Windows 10: How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

Discus and support How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Acer Aspire XC-603G desktop upgraded to Windows 10 64bit Home (no Hyper-V). I want to run 16 bit software that is incompatible. I would like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Firewire, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Firewire Win User

How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

I have a Acer Aspire XC-603G desktop upgraded to Windows 10 64bit Home (no Hyper-V). I want to run 16 bit software that is incompatible. I would like to dual boot with Vista x86 (gave away my XP). From what I understand, you must load the older version first due to Windows 10's MBR. Can I backup/clone Windows 10 partition, reformat and repartition the HDD, install Vista in first partition, then restore Windows 10 to the second partition? I'm thinking I'll need a fresh Windows 10 install. Or is there a simpler way? The only other way I see is to buy the Pro upgrade to get Hyper-V. And if I did the latter would it really be compatible with my Windows 95 16bit ImageReader Scanner software? Thanks

:)

Firewire, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Beauzaux Win User

How to dual boot to a x86 Windows OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

Thanks for the reply.

Therein lies the problem. Originally an 8.1 x64 machine, updated to 10 Home. Old computer, Athlon 64 3800+, running Vista x86 would run my old ImageReader Scanner software (until motherboard smoked). According to the reference below, I could mess up the
    MBR by loading an older version (Vista x86) on top of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Tried every possible compatibility mode.

Wish Home edition included Hyper-V. May try third party Oracle VirtualBox.

Beauzaux, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    How to dual boot to a x86 Windows OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

Hello,

Thanks for showing your interest in Windows 10, I will certainly help you with this.

Yes, you can dual boot on the Windows Vista computer check the Specifications however
    the 16 bit program may not run as 32-bit is the basic flat platform, you may try installing those programs in compatibility mode.

Please refer the Microsoft help article below for detailed information:

How to dual boot Windows 10 with previous
    versions of Windows

Set up a dual-boot system

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Aug 5, 2015
  4. How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

Don't know if it's simpler -- you have to make that call.

You could do the following:
    1) make room on the drive for Vista
    2) install Vista
    3) reboot, but into Win10
    4) download and install EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies
    5) open EasyBCD, click the Add New Entry button, in the Operating Systems section, use the pulldowns and enter info to add Vista as a boot option, click the Add Entry button, save the results

When you reboot, you should get an OS selection screen, with entries for Vista and Win10.

Mark Phelps, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Firewire Win User

Firewire, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

1. How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed? - Similar Threads - dual boot x86

2. HOW TO INSTALL Android x86 and Dual Boot with Windows 10 on ANY PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HOW TO INSTALL Android x86 and Dual Boot with Windows 10 on ANY PC: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gromish1995 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mn225j/how_to_install_android_x86_and_dual_boot_with/
  3. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  4. Windows 10 installation as a dual boot os

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation as a dual boot os: I have a dell Inspiron laptop. It came with windows 7 preinstalled. Now I want to install windows 10 as welp by partitioning the drive. I have created a bootable usb using the windows ISO file downloaded from windows website and using rufus tool, i have formatted the usb...
  5. How to add Windows Dual Boot with Ubuntu 16.04 already installed?

How to add Windows Dual Boot with Ubuntu 16.04 already installed?: I have a Dell Precision 7530, and my computer already has Ubuntu 16.04 properly installed and configured. It also has Windows installed, and I am able to access the product key. When I try to access Windows Boot manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1, however, I get the BSOD everytime...
  6. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  7. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?: This is more or less a project, seeing if I CAN do this successfully without messing up my Windows OS. I have 2 hard drives (both same 2 TB capacity); one is my main Windows 10 OS system, the other was/will-be intended for system-image/macrium-reflect backups in-case my main...
  8. Dual boot Windows 10 and Android-x86

Dual boot Windows 10 and Android-x86: Hello! Excuse me if this is the wrong section, please move to the appropriate section. My colleague has an old netbook and would like to either install Android-x86 on it or dual-boot with Windows. As I am a bit more advanced, I decided to try it myself so I can help him...
  9. Installing Win x86 dual-boot on a PC with Win 10 x64

Installing Win x86 dual-boot on a PC with Win 10 x64: Hello, as the title says, I have a PC with win 10 x64 installed. It is a new PC with UEFI firmware and secure boot enabled, though I can disabled it very easily. I want to installed Win 7 x86 (32bit) on a second hard drive and have it dual-boot config with the current Win...
  10. Install older OS as dual boot?

Install older OS as dual boot?: I read on the MS help website that you cannot install older versions of windows as dualboot, however I am having issues playing the same games that I played on win8.1. Microsoft promised that Win10 would improve games, but some of the games I'm playing were rendered...