Windows 10: How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10

Discus and support How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here are the things that should be taken into consideration: Windows 10 currently installed UEFI (Legacy/BIOS is supported but I do not prefer using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by excel0, Mar 3, 2016.

1. excel0 Win User

How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10

Here are the things that should be taken into consideration:
    • Windows 10 currently installed
    • UEFI (Legacy/BIOS is supported but I do not prefer using it as it may cause more problems in the future)
    • 1 Hard Disk Drive

Goals:
    • Install Windows 7 on another partition
    • Maintain my current Windows 10 installation
    • NOT have to switch to Legacy/BIOS mode

I found this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html
    But it assumes a Windows 7 installation and subsequently dual booting Windows 10 on it. What I would like is essentially the opposite.

:)

excel0, Mar 3, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 3, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 3, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

It seems that the HDD is already a GPT one.

You may follow these steps:
    Hopefully your project will be completed.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 3, 2016
  6. excel0 Win User
    That's the thing. I did that and when it starts to load up on the Windows Logo (the Windows 7 logo startup animation with the four orbs combining to make a Windows logo) it freezes. All the solutions I could find about that problem involves switching back to Legacy. I could have just posted that as my problem but I was hoping someone would post something that does not use that method.

New Problem: How to boot Windows 7 installation in UEFI
    Alternatively, How to install Windows 7 without using standard install method

excel0, Mar 4, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums

The only difference is that your disk should already be GPT so don't delete all the existing partitions on it - just pick the empty NTFS partition that you created for Windows 7 to install to.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

9. heroleo Win User
    Windows 7 does not support uefi secure boot, so you may need to disable uefi secure boot feature in bios.

heroleo, Mar 4, 2016
  10. excel0 Win User
    I have done it! I apologize for wasting your time.
    The reason why I do not want to use Legacy was because there would be some error that would not allow me to install it unless I completely rebuild the HDD from scratch. I don't know what happened but this time it seemed to allow me to install it now.

I used the Windows 7 UEFI install via USB which used the rufus software and to extract the installer to the Flashdrive. I simply switched to Legacy mode and everything went fine. I have now effectively dual booted Windows 10 and Windows 7. Thank you all for your time and effort.

excel0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10 - Similar Threads - dual boot

2. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP: Hello, can someone tell me how to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows XP ? or if you can provide a link with the complete tutorial. At this moment on computer windows 10 is installed, but this is not a problem. Because I can format hard drive, and if needed i can install...
  3. Dual booting Win10 from an image on two separate disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Win10 from an image on two separate disks: Hello Forum! Without giving a long back story like I started with, let's just say, Microsoft updates, audio, latency, WTF is going on and why didn't I disable automatic updates? Way back when, I cloned my old HDD's to SSD's and didn't realize that I lost my system reserved...
  4. Dual boot - Windows 10 - Ubuntu - ACHI issues

Dual boot - Windows 10 - Ubuntu - ACHI issues: Hello I'm trying to dual-boot a new Acer laptop which already has Windows 10 on, adding Ubuntu. To install Ubuntu I need to change the SATA mode to ACHI. Windows does not boot when ACHI is used (No Bootable Device identified). Here are the things I've already tried: -...
  5. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. It was lightning fast when booting. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. BIOS, not UEFI and MBR. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64 as a...
  6. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. It was lightning fast when booting. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64. Since doing so, I get a blank screen...
  7. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  8. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  9. dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux: HI Greg: I don't know what happened but for some reason I lost your thread. Then, when I tried to reply, it says it was locked so I couldn't respond. The exact question was that I had 2 OS which is win 10 and Linux. I want to remove Linux. I took a picture of the disk...
  10. Dual Booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...