Windows 10: How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue.

Discus and support How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With the paid version of Macrium. There is an option that allows you to create a dual boot environment with Macrium Recue disk. However, with the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by topgundcp, Nov 6, 2014.

1. topgundcp Win User

How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue.

With the paid version of Macrium. There is an option that allows you to create a dual boot environment with Macrium Recue disk. However, with the free version, this option is not available.

The advantage to dual boot with Macrium Rescue disk are as follows:
    • If you own an old PC which does not have the Boot Menu available. You don't need to change the Boot Priority in the BIOS to boot from the Macrium Rescue disk (CD/USB)
    • Save yourself a CD/USB for other use.
    • Boot faster from the SSD/HD.
    • Start up repair if your PC becomes unbootable.
    • Macrium rescue disk does have its own "File Explorer" version so you can recover data using drag and drop from unbootable Windows partition.

Here's how:
    • Create a folder called macrium under C: drive
    • Copy everything from the Macrium Rescue disk to this folder (C:\macrium)
    • Create a BAT file as shown below. You can use copy/paste to create a BAT file and save it as .bat extension.
      Code: @echo off echo Configuring Dual boot Macrium Recovery Environment bcdedit.exe /CREATE {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk Options" bcdedit.exe /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=C: bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \macrium\boot\boot.sdi for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%g in ('bcdedit.exe /create /d "Macrium Recovery" /application osloader') do (set guid={%%g}) echo GUID = %guid% created !!! bcdedit /set %guid% device ramdisk=[c:]\macrium\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} bcdedit /set %guid% osdevice ramdisk=[c:]\macrium\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} bcdedit.exe /SET %guid% systemroot \windows REM use the next line for UEFI style installation bcdedit /set %guid% path \Windows\system32\winload.efi REM For MBR, use the next line bcdedit.exe /SET %guid% path \Windows\system32\winload.exe bcdedit.exe /SET %guid% winpe yes bcdedit.exe /SET %guid% detecthal yes bcdedit.exe /SET %guid% nx OptIn bcdedit /displayorder %guid% /addlast bcdedit /timeout 5 echo "Done... Reboot your PC" pause[/quote] NOTE: there's are 2 red lines in the code, one for the MBR type installation and the other for UEFI. Use only one line that applies to your Windows Installation type MBR/UEFI and remove the other.
    • Save the current BCD: Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdedit /export myBCD
      and save this myBCD file to somewhere else.
    • Right click on the BAT file and run as Admin
    • Reboot. You should see the dual boot menu with the timeout set to 5.

To remove the dual boot environment:
    • Open the Admin command prompt and type: bcdedit /import myBCD
    • Delete the folder C:\macrium.

Hope this helps !!!

:)

topgundcp, Nov 6, 2014

2. Windows 10 boot bcd error 0xc000000e

I had this problem during updating windows 10 with major update on my desktop, no idea why.

The best and simplest solution for this Boot BCD problem:

I use Macrium free rescue disk to boot my desktop (it's windows PE). This software has an option to FIX windows boot. You need to install free Macrium on another PC in order to create a rescue disk to do restore. By the way, it's the BEST FREE backup software
    and that saved my life several times with image backup. Thanks Macrium.

You don't need to type any dos command, it's done automatically.

Boot your problem pc with this rescue disk.

You need just to choose your system partition and click on "Fix windows boot" option , that's it.

---

I retry windows 10 major update again, and that worked the second time!!!

Hoang D Trinh, Nov 6, 2014
  3. johnptd Win User
    Blue Screen Error 'PC/device needs to be repaired file:/BCD error code:0xc000000d'

Brittany,

I just fixed an error like that on a Dell Inspiron yesterday. The best and easiest tool for fixing this is to use Macrium Reflect's Rescue Media. It has a "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. This is what you have to do:

1. Download the "free" version of Macrium Reflect from here:

Download Macrium Reflect Free

2. Install it on a working computer and create the Rescue Media (Create Rescue Media). Make sure you set it to use
    Windows PE version 10. If it has not picked that, click the "Change PE Version" and select PE version 10. You can create the Rescue Media on either a CD or a USB Flash drive although a USB Flash drive would be better and you
    only need a minimum of a 1GB drive.

3. Once the Rescue Media is created, you need to start your problem laptop with the Rescue Media connected to it and change where you are booting from. As soon as you press the power button on the laptop, continually press the "F12" key.
    This will allow you to access the Boot Options screen to modify from where your laptop will boot. It should eventually give you a list of devices to boot from. Select the USB Flash drive which contains the Rescue Media. Use the keyboard arrow keys to get to
    the correct line and then {Enter} to select it. Once selected, it should then boot into Macrium Reflect running off the USB drive.

4. Follow the instructions on this page (How to fix Windows Boot problems) to perform the repair.

Good luck,

JohnD

johnptd, Nov 6, 2014
  4. AddRAM Win User

You`re missing 2 vital components, the Windows 8 and Windows 10 install material.

Or are we to assume that Windows 8 is installed already ?????

AddRAM, Nov 12, 2014
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Not sure if I understand your question. As the title said, you must have Windows 8/10 installed before you can set up dual boot with Macrium.

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2014
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Sorry, Your Title clearly states How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue.

It says nothing about having 8 and 10 already installed, there is no need for Macrium to create a dual boot of any Operating System *Smile

AddRAM, Nov 12, 2014
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Again, it's true there's no need to create dual boot with Macrium. However, It is convenient when you have an old PC with legacy BIOS and you don't have a BOOT MENU available then each time you want to boot Macrium, you would have to go in the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from. In addition, it is faster and you don't have to carry USB/DVD rescue disk around. That's why they have this option available with the Paid Version of Macrium.

topgundcp, Nov 18, 2014
  8. How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue.

I have the paid Pro version of MR -- but to me, the important part of this thread is that it provides a way to add MR to the boot selection menu for the FREE version -- and that alone is worth having this thread.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to dual boot Windows 8/10 with Free Macrium Rescue. - Similar Threads - dual boot Free

2. Low Screen Resolution When Booting into Macrium Reflect Free Rescue

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Low Screen Resolution When Booting into Macrium Reflect Free Rescue: Greetings, Using MR v7.2.5107 on a Windows 19041.508 Home PC with a Nvidia GeForce GT705 / Intel HD Graphics 4600, when I boot to MR Rescue, I only get 800 x 600 screen resolution - no other higher resolution options. Windows 10 resolution is 1920 x 1080 and works fine. This...
  3. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  4. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  5. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  6. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  7. Macrium Reflect Free 7 64-bit rescue USB drive won't boot

Macrium Reflect Free 7 64-bit rescue USB drive won't boot: I have an old Thinkpad SL510. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on it. I installed Macrium Reflect 7 Free and did a image backup. I also created a rescue USB drive. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to boot into this 64-bit USB rescue drive. I had created a...
  8. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...
  9. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...
  10. Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10

Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10: I'm not familiar with the UEFI boot system in W10. Any pointers? Thanks. 40116

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot.wim macrium on kickstart

2. macrium has anyone had a problem creating dual booting with 2 hard drives when using macrium?

3. can macrium 7.2 free create dual boot

4. can macrium create dual boot