Windows 10: How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO

Discus and support How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So you want to reinstall Windows 10, or maybe dual-boot with Linux? Then (especially with Linux) you are like "How to I make the ISO installable from?"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Josbeph, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Josbeph Win User

How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO

So you want to reinstall Windows 10, or maybe dual-boot with Linux? Then (especially with Linux) you are like "How to I make the ISO installable from?" Then you've come to the right place. Use this software called Rufus (rufus.akeo.ie). Its really fast and can use about any ISO you have!

:)

Josbeph, Oct 20, 2016

2. Creating an installation USB stick

Hello,

As per your query, I would suggest you to refer the below link.
    Follow the steps of Upgrade to Windows 10 using the tool
    Download Windows 10

Do let us know the update.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Oct 20, 2016
  3. KittLee Win User
    Creating an installation USB stick

How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO [​IMG]

It says "Then have to find on the download file Steps for Creating an installation USB stick "

I don't really know what it means, and I can't find anything for installation USB stick in the
    Windows 10 ISO file.

Does anyone know what I should do?

KittLee, Oct 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Rufus has caused a lot of issues for people who haven't picked the correct settings. I personally avoid it because there are much more reliable methods to create a bootable USB flash drive that is bootable in both UEFI and legacy BIOS computers.

Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

To make the USB universally bootable between UEFI and legacy BIOS, use FAT32 file system at step 9:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=FAT32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, mount your ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive and you're done. If you are Windows, you need a mounting program like WinISO:
    How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

Windows 8 and Windows 10 mount ISO files natively, just right click ISO file and select Mount.

The only downside to formatting the USB flash drive as FAT32 instead of NTFS is the file size limit.

NavyLCDR, Oct 20, 2016
  5. Josbeph Win User
    I guess that is true, but providing you have a UEFI BIOS, Rufus is great. It has always worked for me though, and ive used it on computers ranging from laptops from 2001 (With Legacy BIOS) to brand new Gaming PCs (UEFI BIOS). But your results may vary.

Josbeph, Oct 21, 2016
  6. *Ditto I prefer to use diskpart over Rufus. My (fat 32) install thumb drives work with both UEFI and legacy BIOS.

alphanumeric, Oct 23, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    A few days ago on another forum, a guy from a media company claiming to be experts in pc's posted a video showing how to create a bootable usb drive using diskpart and told everyone to use commands like active (not used for uefi of course), and insisted you should use ntfs.

I told him you have to use fat32 for a uefi pc, and he replied NTFS was better due to file size limit! So much for experts eh - LOL!

cereberus, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

He's partially right, NTFS formatting is required when a file reaches 4GB, or as some say, 4GB plus 1Byte. FAT32 formatting has a few limitations and some are also based on the Operating System. When it comes to booting NTFS usually isn't the proper choice, but it may depend a lot on what the BIOS allows.

Berton, Oct 24, 2016
  9. I can install in UEFI mode with an NTFS formatted thumb drive on my ASUS laptop. Won't work on my wife's Acer though. Both are UEFI. I think the safe bet for most people is to use Fat 32 for their install media. I don't put anything else on that thumb drive. I use 8 gig thumb drives for install drives.

alphanumeric, Oct 24, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Ok I see that in order to boot from ntfs in uefi, the bios has to have ntfs boot modules built in.

This is not a common feature. The uefi standard is for fat32 and gives greatest compatibility. My original point still basically stands as that advice was being given that would fail on most (not all though as I thought) devices.

cereberus, Oct 24, 2016
  11. *Ditto Using NTFS would likely fail for most people trying to do a UEFI install. Or they end up with a legacy install instead. Some would then wonder why, and some wouldn't even notice, lol.

alphanumeric, Oct 24, 2016
  12. AddRAM Win User
    Diskpart is dangerous in the hands of a novice and should not be used to setup a drive, much simpler to create and use a PW Boot CD or let the installer do its thing.

I prefer a MBR drive, nice and clean *Smile I had it installed EFI on a GPT, looked silly *Sleep

AddRAM, Oct 25, 2016
  13. How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO

I agree with the could be dangerous in the hands of a novice. IMHO, its not if you pay attention to what your doing. The drive sizes are listed etc.
    Anyway for me "its much simpler" to use what's on hand than to use a third party tool. Different strokes for different folks though.
    The Media Creation Tool will do it for you, and make a UEFI compatible drive. It's only good for Home or Pro though. That's not a big deal for most people.
    I also run Education and Enterprise and need to make those thumb drives up manually. I also customize my drives somewhat by adding OEM info for the PC its going to be used on and adding product keys when necessary.
    The tutorials will list several options to do it, and you can pick the one that suits you.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO - Similar Threads - easily installation USB

2. how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?: how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?i cannot reboot our work computer, nothing works, usb drives are not read I had to reformat, i have no way of accessing anything on the system and am trying to restart it. Regback fails and I am at a a loss....
  3. how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?: how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?i cannot reboot our work computer, nothing works, usb drives are not read I had to reformat, i have no way of accessing anything on the system and am trying to restart it. Regback fails and I am at a a loss....
  4. how can i create a bootable win10.iso to run from a fat32 usb stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Making a USB Boot Stick

Making a USB Boot Stick: I keep getting Error 0x8004255A-oxA001B. Three times, on different USB sticks. Please Advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-usb-boot-stick/ddd8a4e8-1408-4446-bb1e-b5837d145275
  6. installing windows 10 from a usb iso

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    installing windows 10 from a usb iso: Hi there, I've been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my Lenovo V110-15AST laptop for a month, but unsuccessfully. I watched many videos and used the CMD prompt but dd not succeed. My problem started when I deleted the partition where the windows 10 was installed after...
  7. How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?: I give up. I'm been trying for nearly two days now to make a booable USB flash drive with the Win 10 install ISO on my desktop for the latest Win 10 Upgrade, to the October 2020 version. Until this version, I was alwasy able to burn a bootable DVD, used Nero. But this...
  8. Simply copy ISO image file from USB stick?

Simply copy ISO image file from USB stick?: Hello, can I simply copy a finished Windows 10 ISO file to a USB stick and then boot with it, or do I need software beforehand that makes the USB stick bootable with the ISO file? ISO-Imagedatei einfach aus USB-Stick kopieren?
  9. How install windows10 on a usb stick ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How install windows10 on a usb stick ?: Hi, I'd like to install windows10 on a usb stick. If I boot from the installation media the windows installer doesn't see any usb stick, the the discs. How can I install windows to a usb stick ? submitted by /u/belibelibelib [link] [comments]...
  10. How to make iso from installed 10049? $Windows.?

How to make iso from installed 10049? $Windows.?: i know this is on the forum somewhere but cannot find. somebody point me to the thread. 10049 is loaded and stable - I'm imagining there is a way to create .iso from the $Windows folder where it seemed to stash the update files [from 10041 to 10049[] 5131