Windows 10: How to edit a read only document.

Discus and support How to edit a read only document. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am at my wits end with this problem and would be very grateful for a solution. I have a document, in Dropbox though now copied to the Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gordon99, Jul 5, 2017.

1. gordon99 Win User

How to edit a read only document.

I am at my wits end with this problem and would be very grateful for a solution.

I have a document, in Dropbox though now copied to the Documents folder, which I wrote myself some years ago. I use Apache Open Office but the document is saved as an MS Word.

I have edited this document hundreds of times without a hitch. The other day I attempted to alter the document but, to my surprise, I found it had become 'read only'.

I have tried renaming the doc; I have emailed it to my wife's PC ( she also uses Windows 10 with a recent version of MS Word to find that she also cannot amend it and I have also tried a number of other purported solutions found on the web but all to no avail.

Can anyone assist me please

:)

gordon99, Jul 5, 2017
  2. JimWynne Win User

how to edit a read only file to allow the text to be printed

You should be able to print a read-only file. What type of file, and what happens when you try to print?

JimWynne, Jul 5, 2017
  3. how to edit a read only file to allow the text to be printed

see subject above for question

DonSouther, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Are the file properties set to read only? Often the quick solution is copy content into a new doc

Samuria, Jul 5, 2017
  5. gordon99 Win User
    Hello Samura,

I have just copied and pasted the document into a new folder but it is still stuck as 'read only'.
    Now regarding file properties, this is a tricky one. I have tried giving full control to the potential owners but I find the procedure for doing this difficult. I have managed to give full control to my user account though I admit I have been unable to give full control to SYSTEM. However, none of my other files seem to need full control in order that I can amend.

gordon99, Jul 5, 2017
  6. robgr Win User
    Try and copy the content of the doc into a new blank doc (not copy the doc as a file)
    Check file attributes and not the permissions (r/c file, properties, attributes). Is it read only here?

robgr, Jul 5, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Is it possible that at some time in the past you password-protected this particular Word document? Maybe the 'read only' has nothing to do with file permissions, but is a setting within the Word document itself.

Bree, Jul 5, 2017
  8. gordon99 Win User

Hello Bree,

You are quite correct. I did have this document password protected and I did this shortly before the problem commenced. As you might expect I removed the password protection in case this was the root of the problem but this has had no effect.

However, I am very interested in what you say and I wonder if you could expand when you mention 'a setting within the Word document itself'. If this is the root cause, which I am very inclined to think it is, is there a way around this of which you have knowledge?

gordon99, Jul 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Bree, Jul 5, 2017
  10. gordon99 Win User
    Hello all, especially robgr.

Success at last.

I have just tried your suggested method robgr and low and behold it worked. I am very grateful for all your responses. I am ashamed to tell how many hours I have spent trying to solve this particular problem when the solution sent by robgr was so easy to do.

I am pretty sure the problem stemmed from putting a password onto the file but the reason may be one of those 'unknown unknowns'

Thank you all for your help.

gordon99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to edit a read only document. - Similar Threads - edit read document

2. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  3. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  4. Read-only documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read-only documents: When I attempt to save new documents in Word 2019, the "read-only" check box is always selected. How do I change my file properties, so that all my new documents can be edited, and/or deleted?...
  5. LibreOffice Writer document is locked/read only. How can I edit this document?

LibreOffice Writer document is locked/read only. How can I edit this document?: I am using this program for the first time. I created a document two days ago and now trying to access to complete and the document is locked and the only access is Read Only. How can I access to complete my work? Thank you. * Moved from Education * Original title:...
  6. How to save read only document to edit

How to save read only document to edit: how to save read only document to edit * Moved from Education/Win 10/Update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-read-only-document-to-edit/67186e90-64ac-4a62-a8a8-6e87d6860854"
  7. read only documents

read only documents: After upgrading to Windows 10 and restoring my documents they are now all read-only. how can I reverse this so I can open and edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/29e2e95a-8c1e-4484-ada3-56d06e2b487f"
  8. read only document

read only document: How do I change my document from a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-document/1a578271-3dea-4ac2-aed1-3a6b1f0634ea"
  9. Read-only documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read-only documents: I am frustrated when opening a document and it had defaulted to read-only. I would like to remove that feature permanently. I don't always find the need to protect my documents by read-only. Is there a way to change this? I can change it but it won't stay; I find that the...
  10. Read only Documents

Read only Documents: Hello, all my documents in any of my Microsoft office programs are "READ ONLY" and "UPLOAD BLOCKED cannot verify necessary permissions". I haven't changed any settings or anything and all of the sudden this keeps popping up. I need help settings all Microsoft programs...