Windows 10: How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions?

Discus and support How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Bild: untitled39jwv.png - abload.de See the image there. How can you access the file systems of the first two partitions on that disk? I want to add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by daninthemix, Jun 28, 2016.

1. How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions?

Bild: untitled39jwv.png - abload.de

See the image there. How can you access the file systems of the first two partitions on that disk? I want to add files to the recovery environment, but you can't do anything with those partitions in Windows (can't assign drive letters or anything).

:)

daninthemix, Jun 28, 2016

2. How to display the Boot Camp icon in the system tray?

Hi Folks,

I have installed Windows 10 on a Mac. Things seem to be working but I can't locate the Boot Camp icon for the system tray. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane Devenshire, Jun 28, 2016
  3. How to display the Boot Camp icon in the system tray?

Unfortunately Boot Camp is not lists under Setting > System > Notification. I will try the apple site.

Shane Devenshire, Jun 28, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions?

The Recovery Environment is in the Recovery Partition (450MB): WinRE.wim (hidden)This file is built based on the WinPE which contains 2 executables:
    recenv.exe
    (Recovery Environment) and startrep.exe (Startup repair)

To access it, you'd need to use diskpart command to assign a letter, change the attribute to unhidden on WinRE.wim , copy it to another folder or desktop, mount it, modify it and copy back.

topgundcp, Jun 28, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    You can assign drive letters using the DISKPART commands but be very careful about modifying these partitions. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to explore the contents of these partitions.

DISKPART example commands:

• Open Elevated Command Prompt.
    • Type: DISKPART
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: list volume
    • Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: select volume n where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type assign letter=L where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.
    • Copy the files you need using Windows Explorer to access the drive
    • To remove the drive letter type remove letter=L

Steve C, Jun 28, 2016
  6. Thanks for the replies. What about the Bitlocker Recovery environment? When you choose 'more recovery options' and it boots you straight into an admin CMD window, with an X: drive that has a Windows folder with loads of utils (including Regedit, etc)?

7. So after mounting it with Diskpart, it won't even let me enter the Recovery folder. Even after trying to change the owner / permissions.

8. Steve C Win User

Are you logged on as Administrator?

I'd be wary of changing permission on these special partitions until you receive more advice on the Forum.

Why do you want to change this partition anyway?

Steve C, Jun 28, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    The folder structure of the Recovery Partition is ahown below:

How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions? [​IMG]

When you are in the Recovery Environment, WinPE is loaded into RAM, the folder structure looks the same as Windows under X: ie. Windows, System32 and includes limited set of commands such as regedit.exe etc...

topgundcp, Jun 28, 2016
  10. I want to know: 1) Can I add tools to the Recovery Environment and 2) Can I remove the Recovery Environment completely (bearing in mind, this is a Bitlocker-protected OS).

The former because I'm interested in adding functionality to the RE, and the latter because in one specific case, I want to prevent a user from using the Bitlocker RE to subvert the Windows security (you can re-enable the local admin account, for instance, even without any credentials).

11. Thankyou all for your help - I have tested, and I can both add apps to the Winre.wim, or cripple the RE by removing cmd.exe.

Thanks!

daninthemix, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to edit the files in the boot / system partitions? - Similar Threads - edit files boot

2. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  3. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  4. Boot files missing from system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot files missing from system reserved partition: My husband is trying to move boot files from the hard drive to the ssd, but there are no files showing in the system reserved partition. I have checked, they are not hidden. He originally had my windows 10 on a thumb drive but has already deleted it so we cannot start over...
  5. Boot files missing from system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot files missing from system reserved partition: My husband is trying to move boot files from the hard drive to the ssd, but there are no files showing in the system reserved partition. I have checked, they are not hidden. He originally had my windows 10 on a thumb drive but has already deleted it so we cannot start over...
  6. Boot files missing from system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. [Edit: Solved] System partition is assigned a label on every boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [Edit: Solved] System partition is assigned a label on every boot.: I hope you're doing well and having a great day.If I remove the label of my system partition, it is automatically reassigned on next boot. Is there a way to remove it so it doesn't get reassigned on boot?Thank you....
  8. lost boot and system partition!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost boot and system partition!!: hello i was update my windows 10 and this was happen. windows can't boot and in cmd didn't show any boot or system in info column. what should i do? i have a picture of working windows and my partitions pictures where is my boot and system? how can i make the boot and system...
  9. Unknown Partition - Unknown File System - Cannot edit or remove!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown Partition - Unknown File System - Cannot edit or remove!: I was in the process of updating several sata controllers and chipset drivers. I also installed a new USB 3.0 hub and was in the process of moving around several devices between ports. I had a problem with my keyboard which uses USB 2.0 as a connector but I would recieve a...
  10. How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?: It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how. 5233