Windows 10: How to enable Cortana on a local account?

Discus and support How to enable Cortana on a local account? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've noticed that I need to switch the entire computer to a Microsoft account, just to use Cortana! Is there a way to use Cortana normally, but while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by The King, Jul 29, 2015.

1. The King Win User

How to enable Cortana on a local account?

I've noticed that I need to switch the entire computer to a Microsoft account, just to use Cortana!
    Is there a way to use Cortana normally, but while keeping the local account?
    On Windows 8, I used to be able to sign in individually for each app, can I do the same thing for Cortana?

:)

The King, Jul 29, 2015

2. how to re-enable a local account in Win 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

I see you telling that you have disabled Local account. In windows 10, there is no option to disable a local account, instead to remove it permanently. Could you please let me know how you managed to do this.

Also I appreciate if you could send the screenshot of the screen where you're facing the issue, which helps us to analyze the problem and guide you accordingly.
    Refer How to include a screenshot in your post

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 29, 2015
  3. how to re-enable a local account in Win 10

I had created a local account for my kid, then disabled it for various reasons. Now I have created a Microsoft email account for him. In Family settings I can now see the pending account with the note "once X has signed in to Win 10 etc it'll show up here".

Below this I can see the old disabled account with a note "this device has been upgraded to Win 10 and settings for this account have been turned off; select this child to turn the settings on again". If I select the child, I am told "get your child to
    sign in and change their settings"

My problem is how do I get the child to sign in? Neither account shows up at login, and the old local user management tool appears not to be available in Win 10.

any help gratefully received!

ToughNails, Jul 29, 2015
  4. machare Win User

I sign in with a local account. Cortana appears to work, though as I won't share my contacts with MS I don't get very far.

machare, Jul 30, 2015
  5. The King Win User
    I'd really like to know how you managed to get Cortana working on a local account!
    Thanks a lot!

The King, Jul 30, 2015
  6. machare Win User
    I did do quite a bit of messing about checking the language etc making sure it was supposed to work, particularly on my desktop computer. The laptop worked more easily. Unfortunately I can not provide a concise answer as to what was the magical step. The only thing I would say is that both computers do have MS accounts which I never use to sign on. I created these accounts my adding local accounts and then converting them to MS accounts to get the last two Insider build updates to install.

machare, Jul 31, 2015
  7. The King Win User
    So you mean like you have two accounts, and whenever you wanna use Cortana, you switch to the MS one?

The King, Jul 31, 2015
  8. machare Win User

No, I never sign on with the MS accounts. I just said that I have the a/cs for the reason I mentioned.

machare, Aug 1, 2015
  9. monty Win User
    Hi all

I have the same issue, can't connect to Cortana on a local account however I made sure that several things are setup properly:

Region: United Kingdom
    Language English (United Kingdom)
    Time settings: +0 hrs London time
    mic: working with skype/recorder and positive feedback test.

what else should we look for?

Thanks

monty, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Kevin2161 Win User
    Hi There,
    I am trying to set up Windows 10 Cortana. 1. You sign in to your Microsoft account, 2. Then, it asks you to enter your "Old Password" one last time. I have tried for hours, putting in every old password i ever used for my Microsoft account. I get "Red lettering" (which if I see one more time?) saying wrong password. Would someone please explain to me step by step how the heck I use Windows 10 Highly advertised "Cortan". Thank you for anyone's help in this matter. Thank You,

Kevin2161, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Kevin, it turns out that the "old password" refers to your Windows user password, not a Microsoft account password. In an effort to get people to create/use Microsoft accounts, Microsoft wants you to abandon logging into Windows with your Windows username and password, and instead use your Microsoft account username and password. Thus, if you're still using your Windows username and password to log into Windows, you'll have to enter this as the "old password" when enabling Cortana. The reason they call it the "old password" (while not telling you which password!) is that in addition to enabling Cortana, it will secretly in the background change your Windows logon to require your Microsoft account info instead of your "old" logon info.

Once I got through this, Cortana worked. I tried it out for a couple of hours, found it worthless, and completely removed it from my system (which is also not straightforward; there's another thread devoted to that).

Anthony2816, Aug 19, 2015
  12. Lothar Win User
    Wait.. you guys mean to say one cannot even use Cortanna without being signed into a Microsoft account? I didn't know that and nothing I've read from Microsoft says that either. - and some settings are linked into Bing.com too .. you have to be logged into a Bing account to turn off some data Cortana sends to Microsoft. I wondered how this bing account is even around because no one says you have to have one for Cortana. I assume they mean for you to already be signed into to Bing via your Microsoft account.

Looks like to experience Cortanna I need to set up a dual boot with another copy of Windows 8 Core to use for my daily OS and have a copy of Windows 10 activated on another partition so I can use my MS account for Cortanna - then Only Ever use Win 10/ Cortana with false and fake information and keep that OS from doing anything else. forever empty.

MICROSOFT YOU SUCK!

Lothar, Aug 19, 2015
  13. How to enable Cortana on a local account?

Seems that way. I guess since Cortana is meant to be cross-platform, it has to store all your information (schedule, browsing habits, etc.) in "the cloud" (and by "the cloud" I mean the servers of Microsoft's marketing department). That way if you set an alarm while at work, it will be on your home computer later.

My experience with Cortana is that for most of what I asked it would just open a browser window to the Bing entry on the topic. Which is why I deleted it.

Anthony2816, Aug 19, 2015
  14. Harpert Win User
    Cortana will share your contacts with Microsoft !

I for one would NOT be grateful if one of the people I work with would make my details public.
    I thinks we all have a responsibility to avoid sharing too much information with multi nationals

Cortana is a TOY that is not going to help you much in daily life
    Also your co-workers and people living with you, might not appreciate when you are "shouting" commands into your computer.
    So unless you are a horder living by yourself without a social life and without contacts.... I can't imagine a good reason to activate Cortana....

Harpert, Aug 19, 2015
  15. cmp9969 Win User
    The "Old Password" is the password to your local account. It is about to change your local account to a Microsoft Account. If you don't mind this, then enter your local account password. If you think this is overly intrusive of Microsoft, don't do it and let Cortana die.

cmp9969, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

1. How to enable Cortana on a local account? - Similar Threads - enable Cortana local

2. Can't sign into Cortana with either Microsoft or Local Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign into Cortana with either Microsoft or Local Account: After trying to Log In to Cortana with my Microsoft Account, I get this message.We're Having Trouble Signing You InTry AgainSign In With Different AccountHere is a list of the things I have tried.* I have created new Local Account in Settings/Accounts and tried logging into...
  3. Can't sign into Cortana with either Microsoft or Local Account

in Cortana
    Can't sign into Cortana with either Microsoft or Local Account: After trying to Log In to Cortana with my Microsoft Account, I get this message.We're Having Trouble Signing You InTry AgainSign In With Different AccountHere is a list of the things I have tried.* I have created new Local Account in Settings/Accounts and tried logging into...
  4. How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...: How to built-in administrator enable the account from user account.....? I tried following command but getting below error. [ATTACH] Can you give the solution to fix the issue....
  5. How to enable Cortana on Windows 10?

in Cortana
    How to enable Cortana on Windows 10?: How do i enable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro 1909? Note that i am in Romania. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-cortana-on-windows-10/8b7f5ea3-c484-4076-8791-3ed7013d81cd
  6. enable Cortana

in Cortana
    enable Cortana: I cannot get Cortana to change and open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-cortana/ea55e2d4-433c-4259-95f6-07586c39d704"
  7. Enable Local Account using Local Users and Groups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable Local Account using Local Users and Groups: I've typed lusrmgr.msc into Run, Right click on the name (ex: "user1") I want to disable, and click on Properties. And in the General tab, uncheck the Account is disabled box, and click/tap on OK. But when I click on its properties, the checkbox is check again. No matter how...
  8. Enabling Cortana

in Cortana
    Enabling Cortana: hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it just takes me to the search bar i have looked around and followed some pre-existing guides with no luck i am running 10 pro...
  9. Is Cortana disabled with a local account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Cortana disabled with a local account?: I think that this has been asked before, but I still can't find an answer. I would prefer to use a local account, but unless I use my Microsoft account I can't get Cortana to run. Is this right? 23455
  10. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...