Windows 10: How to enable fast boot on PC

Discus and support How to enable fast boot on PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently got a new mobo with UEFI support. I'd like to enable fast boot but msinfo32 still tells me the BIOS is set to Legacy. Is there any good way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DaChi, Nov 21, 2017.

1. DaChi Win User

How to enable fast boot on PC

I recently got a new mobo with UEFI support. I'd like to enable fast boot but msinfo32 still tells me the BIOS is set to Legacy. Is there any good way to change this without reinstalling Windows?

:)

DaChi, Nov 21, 2017

2. Fast boot not enabled

I have Samsung Ultrabook NP530U4c- S60IN.

For some reasons I had to "Reset" windows 10.

After this boot is too slow and not seeing any options to enable fast boot which was previously there. My laptop has SSD to facilitate rapid boot............

Abhijeetingle, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Fast boot not enabled

HI,

If supported :

How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello DaChi, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could use the method in the tutorial below to convert from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without data loss. I would still recommend to backup anything that you do not want to lose to be safe though.

*Arrow Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss Installation Upgrade Tutorials

After you are using UEFI, you can enable Fast Boot.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  5. vram Win User
    Doesn’t fast boot lock the drive on shutdown, meaning if windows won’t boot, you won’t be able to just boot off a repair disk or install it into another PC for data retrieval?

6. cereberus Win User
    No. You can always use a live linux drive for example.

cereberus, Nov 21, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    You sure?

“When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.“

Taken from here:
    The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode

vram, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to enable fast boot on PC - Similar Threads - enable fast boot

2. PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow: Hi there,I have a really frustrating problem with my pc.I have reinstalled windows multiple times and searched the whole internet for a solution and tried everything I can possibly find on already existing topics but I can't seem to find a solution.The problem is my pc boots...
  3. PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow: Hi there,I have a really frustrating problem with my pc.I have reinstalled windows multiple times and searched the whole internet for a solution and tried everything I can possibly find on already existing topics but I can't seem to find a solution.The problem is my pc boots...
  4. After enabling Fast Boot, PC won’t enter BIOS, tried a solution and now PC bootloops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After enabling Fast Boot, PC won’t enter BIOS, tried a solution and now PC bootloops.: Hi all,Recently I upgraded my PC due to a shorted motherboard, and was tinkering with the BIOS. After first post, the PC was incredibly slow despite the new parts, and for whatever reason, could not download certain games and what not. I went into the BIOs and found that the...
  5. How to enable automatic sign in without turning on fast boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to enable automatic sign in without turning on fast boot?: this is a small question, I have a desktop , with only my account (microsoft account) that always prompts me for my pin or password when I turn on the PC. Now I remember that before I disabled fast boot, the moment I turned on my pc, my account was already logging in (all...
  6. fast boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fast boot: hi I am unable to fast boot my system. I have win 10, 8 gb graphic, ssid still it takes 5 min to boot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-boot/fe58e21a-8d67-4f71-a956-c56d37860ac2
  7. Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled: when ever i power or go to hibernation mode my laptop freezes on a black screen for a couple of seconds and then reboots instead of powering off. Now i read something about this issue with Enduro laptops (Dual video cards) and im indeed a enduro laptop, But i can find the...
  8. Boot not that fast

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot not that fast: Hello I have a new configuration (z170 chipset, i3-6320, fast SSD) for my desktop and it boots slower than my laptop (Acer V3-574G (i7-5500) with the same SSD as my desktop). I don't think the i3-6320 vs i7-5500 can explain such difference. First thing is that Hibernation...
  9. Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows How to Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows [img] Information The Fast Boot feature for UEFI motherboards has a Fast and Ultra Fast option that allows your PC to...
  10. Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot: Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread because I'm facing a behaviour of my computer I would like to change or fix, but I don't know how I should do any of these. The operating system I use is Windows 10 Home 1709 (Fall Creators Update). The undesired behaviour is that,...