Windows 10: How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI?

Discus and support How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an older Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop. I replaced its original spinning HDD with a brand new Samsung SSD 850 EVO drive, that was advertised as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ahmd, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ahmd Win User

How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI?

I have an older Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop. I replaced its original spinning HDD with a brand new Samsung SSD 850 EVO drive, that was advertised as supporting hardware encryption. So now I'm trying to enable it.

Here's what I did:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro from OEM disk, no crapware, just Microsoft stuff.

2. Installed Samsung Magician software from the disc that came with the SSD drive.

3. (Tried to) enable encryption. (The UI is kinda weird to understand.) I set it to "Encrypted Drive" which for some reason says "ready to enable":

How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI? [​IMG]

4. I then ran the BitLocker on drive C:. This laptop doesn't have TPM chip and I had to use a USB stick to unlock it. It took several reboots, but now the drive shows as encrypted:

5. But now the question is -- does it use hardware or software encryption?

The Windows Explorer UI doesn't seem to tell me that. So I ran the manage-bde -status c: command and got this:

Which kinda looks like the hardware encryption is NOT enabled.

So what am I missing here?

PS. I keep finding some scarce references online that for the hardware encryption to work, it requires a UEFI (instead of BIOS) which this laptop does not have. It just has an older BIOS. But can I still use hardware encryption without UEFI?

EDIT: After a suggestion I tried to disable BitLocker and then ran the following command:

manage-bde -on c: -fet Hardware -startupkey d:

and got this result:

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>manage-bde -on c: -fet Hardware -startupkey d:
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.14393
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume C: [Windows]
    [OS Volume]
    ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x803100b2):
    The drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption.

NOTE: If the -on switch has failed to add key protectors or start encryption,
    you may need to call "manage-bde -off" before attempting -on again.

:)

2. [Samsung 850 Evo SSD Encryption (Magician Software)] & [WPD Volume Driver Windows (Portable USB Storage) Errors] & [Windows 10 Features - Disable?]

I just recently encrypted my SSD (Not M.2) and I kept getting WPD Volume Driver Errors in Windows (Yellow Explanation Marks) Under Device Manager. Right under any and all USB Sticks or SD Card Reader Drive Letters.

At first, I thought I messed up Secure Boot (Windows) in BIOS maybe in using the Magician Software (free Dos) which is CMS (Legacy Mode) ON.

So, I Clean Installed Windows 10, over again, even though, the encryption of the SSD Erases everything, and was already on a Clean Install...

Each time the new Install clears the WPD Volume Errors, but would return... as I went along re-installing software.

To save you time, about it, this repeated for some days, and I finally pinned it down to the Windows 10 Features. I kept Clicking all of the Features in the Programs in Control Panel. (Turning them all ON)

Apparently, some, (but, not sure, which), features will cause these WPD Volume Driver Errors on all USB Sticks and SD Card Drive Letters after I encrypted the SSD.

My, question is Why? and which features (Microsoft), would cause this kind of horrible thing to my new "good" hardware system?

PS: I do not use the Extra features in Windows 10, except maybe old Net Beans, besides recently. I have never read anywhere that happens from Windows 10 Features and was wondering, if I was the only one?

PSS: Do not repeat the process, results may not vary much.

MatthewBott, Jan 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 purchased version -- can't personalize settings ...

I’m trying on an HP 2500 Notebook PC w/Samsung SSD 850 EVO

I tried rebooting as suggested below. It defaulted to an option to reinstall as Windows 10 Pro only, not the home version

MichaelCBerger, Jan 27, 2017
  4. How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI?

According to this article to use E-Drive, which after reading equates to Encrypted drive, you must be UEFI based. Read what should I watch out for when using e-Drive.

The article within reason explains their different options.

Access Denied

Caledon Ken, Jan 28, 2017
  5. ahmd Win User
    Thanks. And yes, I guess I'm stuck with the software-based encryption since the BIOS I have does not support UEFI and Windows 10 BitLocker won't use hardware based encryption because of that, even if the SSD supports it. I just wish they had it documented better -- both in Samsung manual and in their sales page (Amazon) before you buy it.

But you know, after watching this presentation, I'm kinda thinking that maybe software based encryption is somewhat safer:
    Bypassing of Self-Encrypting Drives – Techniques for Hackers and Forensic Investigators - YouTube

6. I'm a big believer in encryption but with that said I also know the risks. Had two people on these forums in the last two weeks that had lost access to their data.

I encrypted data when I take it out of my house and for files on my computer I ensure I have an unencrypted copy safely tucked away.

It's really important to keep copies of keys outside encryption so you can access. It also important to test your ability to decrypt your data on a alternate machine should your machine meet an untimely demise, like fried motherboard.

Caledon Ken, Jan 29, 2017
  7. ahmd Win User
    Yes, all you need to save (with BitLocker) is Identifier and Recovery Key. The former is used to ID the drive if you have several, and the latter is a form of your private key for decryption. Both can be easily tucked away into your favorite password manager. I personally use LastPass.

Also make sure to watch the video I linked to above. It proves that even a full disk encryption can be bypassed in some cases. Pretty unnerving stuff though.

8. How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI?

I use password safe and as I don't use cloud I keep a copy outside my encrypted data when its offsite.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI?

1. How to enable hardware encryption on Samsung SSD 850 EVO w/o UEFI? - Similar Threads - enable hardware encryption

2. Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?: I'm having lots of BSODs and the forum member who is assisting me (Lots of IRQ_Less... and KERNEL_SECURITY... BSODs on 2 month old build - Windows 10 Forums) picked up lots of retry messages from the Beta Collector that I uploaded for my Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Are all these...
  3. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  4. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I...
  5. System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Following a successful install of Creator's Update I transferred all files-including OS-to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500gb) using Samsung Magician software supplied with the SSD. File transfer went was perfect. Old HDD was removed and replaced with Samsung SSD. Reboot was...
  6. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  7. Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?

Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?: Hello. My SSD: Ssd Samsung Evo 850 250 GB, motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 UEFI, So i want to write about my issues with Windows 10 just before format, when i was on MBR partition. I want to be sure that my SSD is fine or not. So listen. Windows 10 get somehow...
  8. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  9. SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode: Hi guys, i'm using win 10 pro x64 on a samsung evo 850 120gb ssd. My samsung magician just can't recognize the OS, anyone knows how to fix? Thank you and sorry for my bad grammar! *Tongue [img] 24028
  10. Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB: I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB and while I had been using it on my laptop with Windows 7 everything had been running ok even the Rapid mode, but when I updated to Windows 10, I am getting this error : Rapid mode is in inactive state due to system internal errors. Please...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung ssd encryption

2. how to use hardware encruption features on ssd

3. samsung magician enable encryption