Windows 10: How to ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING and get it to work

Discus and support How to ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING and get it to work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings! I now (for the first time ever) want to stream a video from my PC to my WD TV Live. But how do I do it? I have searched this forum, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Burgurne, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Burgurne Win User

How to ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING and get it to work

Greetings!
    I now (for the first time ever) want to stream a video from my PC to my WD TV Live. But how do I do it?
    I have searched this forum, and found out, that I might have to ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING, but I don't know where in Windows 10 I do that? I am on a Danish Windows, so I can't just search help for ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING.

One time, and only one time, has the WD Tv Live boks and my Windows found eachother, but that just gave a black picture on the TV, and a frozen playback in the "Movie and TV"-app.

Please a guide to how I can playback a video from my PC to my TV Live Boks *Smile

:)

Burgurne, Feb 24, 2017

2. Unable to stream video from pc to TV with Windows 10

I did not get on how you are streaming so that it will show PC folders on TV. Have you installed a third party streaming server? In that case it might be the issue with that software/server rather than Win10, or be some driver.

For me PlayTo option works perfect without any issue in just 2 clicks. selecct the media (music/photo/video) and select your connected TV from PlayTo menu.

You'll need to enable streaming for Play To to work. search for Media Streaming Options and enble it.

My TV is Bravis 40R562C not smart TV

HTH

SaggingComa, Feb 24, 2017
  3. Why are unshared libraries/folder accessible through the media server?

My Computer is in a homegroup, I set up my libraries to my liking and on the network i'm only sharing my videos and music. Works like a charm so far. Now I have also enabled the media server so I can stream to my consoles/tv, however when I access the media
    server through one of my devices I get access to all my libraries. Despite saying it would only "allow access to your shared media" it clearly enables everything.

So to get to the core question: why is this and how can I disable this behavior? I only want the media server to stream content that is set up as shared.

Hans-GeorgW, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Winuser, Feb 25, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    There is one built in to Windows 10, but it takes a bit of finding. Open Windows Media Player, in the Library view you'll find it under 'Stream > Turn on media streaming...'.

Personally I leave it turned off and use 'Cast to...' instead, from File Explorer, Edge etc.

6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Feb 25, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Probably the easiest media server/ streamer is PLEX MEDIA SERVER (Free) -- forget plex pass and download the server from the site and not the ms store which only handles the client.

Some smart TV's include the player - otherwise its easy to use a chromecast / fire tv stick to use as a remote client -- you can for Google cast devices use your phone as a handset for controlling the media on the TV. Amazon also has a phone app but since the amazon devices come with a handset you can use that (and it can be voice controlled -- although I'm not a fan of yelling at hardware devices - unless Manchester Utd scores a Goal !!!!).

Casting directly from phone to TV (via DLNA) is a bit "??????" and will really EAT your phone's battery.

PLEX will handle music / TV / video -- read the documentation but it's simple -- works on Linux too -- so if you are thinking of NAS servers then it's a good app to start with.

Some smart TV's will browse your PLEX media server files without using a PLEX client - simply use the built in "media server" app - Panasonic for example.

If you can get VLC (100% free of course) on a client (remote TV) either as a side loaded app or via amazon tv stick for example then that will also play your remote media just fine - simply browse local network and play the video --it will play more video formats without transcoding --Plex sometimes needs to transcode video -- if you have decent network (even as slow as around 5 Mib/s - in my book though that's SLOOOOOW) streaming will work fine up to 1080p but don't even THINK of 4K UHD - that will be mega thumb twiddling time just to get the movie even started. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 25, 2017
  8. Burgurne Win User

Okay. I did what #3 wrote, using Windows Media Player it is now working, direct from my PC and to WD TV Live *Smile. After setting the streaming-settings, it is very easy to control everything from my PC.

Burgurne, Feb 25, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    @Burgurne

Gott kvöld!

The idea of using a media server is that you can stream to remote devices - WITHOUT having to control from the computer sending the stream -- OK if that's what you want to do fine - but it's often more convenient to be able to control what you want to watch FROM THE REMOTE DEVICE rather than sitting in front of a PC.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 25, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You can do that when you've turned on media streaming in Media Player - it becomes a media server. Fairly basic and there are better ones available (like your PLEX) but a media server none the less.

11. Burgurne Win User
    Yep, I can control some basic from the WD TV Lives remote. Not perfect, but it works for now *Smile

But I see your point, Jimbo45 (God aften, min Nordiske ven) , if this is going to be a permanent thing, I will for sure be looking after some more complex Media server. I will take a look at PLEX.

Burgurne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING and get it to work - Similar Threads - ENABLE MEDIA STREAMING

2. I can't get media streaming to work properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't get media streaming to work properly: I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 11, my first time using 11 and I can't get the media streaming working correctly.I have media streaming turned on and all the folders I want shared. I can see those folders and interact with them with no problems from another PC on...
  3. I can't get media streaming to work properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't get media streaming to work properly: I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 11, my first time using 11 and I can't get the media streaming working correctly.I have media streaming turned on and all the folders I want shared. I can see those folders and interact with them with no problems from another PC on...
  4. Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file: Hi yall, Does anybody know if I can start/stop Media Streaming from a batch file? Otherwise I have to go Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Media streaming every time it needs a reboot (sometimes it hangs or it fails to start after reboot)....
  5. Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file: HiIs there any way to start/stop the Media Streaming from a batch file? I been encountering that, sometimes, after a reboot or when the pc wakes up, I need to start it from scrat or even restart it Media Streaming because my TV wont pick it up. I been going all the way from...
  6. Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Streaming - enable/disable from batch file: HiIs there any way to start/stop the Media Streaming from a batch file? I been encountering that, sometimes, after a reboot or when the pc wakes up, I need to start it from scrat or even restart it Media Streaming because my TV wont pick it up. I been going all the way from...
  7. Cant enable media streaming on Media Player

Cant enable media streaming on Media Player: Windows 10 pro v.1909 - When I try to turn on media streaming nothing happens - still says streaming not turned on- Have tied pretty much everything - Uninstalled and reinstalled media player 12 - checked all services are running - checked group policy for prevent streaming...
  8. media streaming on this computer will not work?

media streaming on this computer will not work?: media streaming on this computer will not work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-streaming-on-this-computer-will-not-work/28f88ccd-0d96-4d7a-97fd-2057f258626c
  9. media streaming switch not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    media streaming switch not working: media streaming switch not working after latest 1809 update to win10pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-streaming-switch-not-working/fbca8118-1bab-4986-abdc-e0ff204d9898
  10. Turn on media streaming is not working

Turn on media streaming is not working: Turn on media streaming is not working. when I click Turn on media streaming, it does not do anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/turn-on-media-streaming-is-not-working/a298205b-f312-4102-8430-20e0ae887beb