Windows 10: How to encrypt my USB flash drive?

Discus and support How to encrypt my USB flash drive? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; All my passwords are on a spreadsheet held on an encrypted USB flash drive. I cannot remember how I provided it with encryption - it's been a long... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Stevekir, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

How to encrypt my USB flash drive?

All my passwords are on a spreadsheet held on an encrypted USB flash drive. I cannot remember how I provided it with encryption - it's been a long time. It does not need any software to be installed to decrypt and open it or re-incrypt it after reading its files. As a further backup I now want to copy all those files on to another USB flash drive (that's no problem) and then encrypt the flash drive with the same password, preferably (a strong preference) without the need to run software to encrypt it or decrypt it.

>> How can I do that please?

The reason why I don't want to rely on externally sourced software to encrypt or decrypt is because any such software might be discontinued (like Truecrypt has been) or change to some pay-per-use version or some other disadvantageous form.

Bitlocker requires an enhanced version of Windows which I don't want.

>> If I did a straight copy of the encrypted USB to the new one, would the password be included in the copy?

EDIT: My encrypted USB drive shows up in "This PC" as this:

How to encrypt my USB flash drive? [​IMG]

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Oct 8, 2017

2. I cannot open a usb flash drive that was encripted by bitlocker on this version of windows

please help on how to open a bit locker - encrypted usb flash drive on my windows 10

WILSON IROI, Oct 8, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I suspect you bought it that way. From the name 'Total Lock' it appears to be a product of Integral Memory plc. It uses hardware based encryption built into the USB.

http://www.integralmemory.com/faq/wh...sed-encryption

Integral's current encrypted USBs: http://www.integralmemory.com/product-categories/encrypted-usb-drives
    Other brands are available: encrypted usb - Recherche Google

Bree, Oct 8, 2017
Thema:

1. How to encrypt my USB flash drive? - Similar Threads - encrypt USB flash

2. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  3. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  4. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  7. Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives

Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives: Win 10 Pro 64-bit Ver. 1909 b,18363.535 I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so much about losing the data -it's largely a back-up of working data- but want to provide an obstacle so they would reformat the...
  8. Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives: Win 10 Pro 64-bit Ver. 1909 b,18363.535 I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so much about losing the data -it's largely a back-up of working data- but want to provide an obstacle so they would reformat the...
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?

BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?: I have a dedicated USB flash drive to store all my files and its now encrypted with BitLocker. What if I insert this USB drive to another computer and edit my documents directly from the USB drive without saving the files onto the other computer? Will data still leak to that...