Windows 10: How to enter safe mode when system totally frozen

Discus and support How to enter safe mode when system totally frozen in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My windows is completely frozen. Key strokes don't work. The cursor moves around the screen but clicking things doesn't work. ctr+alt+del doesn't do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by michael13, Sep 17, 2015.

1. michael13 Win User

How to enter safe mode when system totally frozen

My windows is completely frozen. Key strokes don't work. The cursor moves around the screen but clicking things doesn't work. ctr+alt+del doesn't do anything.

When I shut down manually and restart the system stays frozen on restart. F-8 isn't working to enter safe mode.

How can I unfreeze the system, or how can I enter safe mode while everything is frozen?

:)

michael13, Sep 17, 2015

2. safe mode totally frozen, 100% disk usage

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in
    this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 17, 2015
  3. safe mode totally frozen, 100% disk usage

Booting up the notebook, it takes very long time to completely start up. When i finally got logged into windows, i checked the task manager to see that there is 100% disk usage. I deactivated those antivirus programs (yeah, gfs sister installed multiple
    of them) and tried to reboot in safe mode.

When I now start it in safe-mode, it's still super slow and after i log into windows, I just see a black screen with the Start-menu open, but i cannot click anything. I can not click on anything, nothing happens, I can only open Task manager but its empty.
    I have to hold the Power button really long to shutdown the notebook.

I thought i could repair it with the Windows Media Creation Tool ISO but it's not getting loaded on startup.

I tried pressing several keys while booting, but I cannot seem to open BIOS. It's an ASUS notebook so it should be F2-Key. I also tried pressing F8, del, F10, i can't get to the BIOS screen.

There are some Gigabytes of Pictures of her newborn baby on the notebook, so if anyone has any advice on how to save the data,

let me know.

Have a nice day,

Sleepmode

Sleepmode12, Sep 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 17, 2015
  5. michael13 Win User
    Thanks, but I've tried all of those already. None of them work. Ctr+alt+del does nothing. I can't access anything out of the start menu because clicking doesn't work. And I don't have a login screen. When I turn the computer on it just automatically opens windows and then freezes.

michael13, Sep 17, 2015
  6. This is not ideal as it could corrupt things, but it might help
    I have done this before in Win 8 when it hangs and cannot get into safe mode

start windows booting
    as soon as it starting to load windows force power off your machine (hold power button in)

repeat this about 4 or 5 times, windows will then pop up with a message about something went wrong and windows is unable to be loaded, then it should offer the safe mode options

the force power off confuses it into thinking there are problems booting
    as above though I have not done this with 10 to test, but have done this before in 8 with no bad effects

paulsalter, Sep 17, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    it is written that 3 boot failures - will trigger recovery..

or you could boot from setup media and select repair this computer (from install screen)

8. How to enter safe mode when system totally frozen

That's for the number, I knew it did this but wasn't sure after how many fails it offered the recovery

paulsalter, Sep 17, 2015
  9. michael13 Win User
    OK, that has worked (so far). I forced it to power off while in the middle of the startup process a couple of times. Next time I started up (didn't count how many times) it gave me the option to launch the trouble shooter. Which I have done. Let's see how it goes now. Thanks.

michael13, Sep 17, 2015
  10. michael13 Win User
    Success. I was able to completely reset my computer to the factory pre-sets.

By repeatedly forcing it to shut down in the middle of the startup routine I was able to access the trouble shooter. From there is was pretty straight forward.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

michael13, Sep 17, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    paulsalter is a sturdy soul. *Smile I must confess to mashing the power button repeatedly on occasion to get out of a bind whether it is widely recommended or not.

Word Man, Sep 17, 2015
  12. Good to hear you got it working again *Smile

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to enter safe mode when system totally frozen - Similar Threads - enter safe mode

2. Can't enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enter safe mode: I can't enter safe mode . I have been trying from many days . Related video: https://youtu.be/8vE0ORHdXWE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enter-safe-mode/72bba3b6-a849-440d-8c33-c4625ccaed5f
  3. Can't enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enter safe mode: I can't enter safe mode . I have been trying from many days . Related video: https://youtu.be/8vE0ORHdXWE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enter-safe-mode/72bba3b6-a849-440d-8c33-c4625ccaed5f
  4. Can't enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows not entering safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not entering safe mode: I want to switch my graphics card from Nvidia to AMD. For this I need to uninstall the current graphics drivers and install new ones in safe mode. Unfortunately, my windows won't enter safe mode. When I click "startup settings" and select restart, the computer just boots back...
  6. Black screen when entering safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen when entering safe mode: I need to enter safe mode to use a driver uninstaller as when I use it not in safe mode, it says I need to be in safe mode. So I go to the power, hold shift, and click restart, it takes me to the menus where I go to troubleshoot, advanced, start-up settings, restart....
  7. How to enter safe mode in WINre ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enter safe mode in WINre ?: I cannot enter safe mode by using WINre by using Startup Settings even though I have tried pressing 5 and F5 it keeps showing the error Critical Process Died...
  8. Can't enter safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't enter safe mode: I have gone through previous postings and while the answer seems close to what I need to, they solution does not work. First of all, I am frustrated by constantly being told my password is bad - yet here I am - finally - bad password and all. What's up with that? Now to...
  9. Cannot enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter safe mode: Hi, My Asus laptop is stuck in a startup repair loop while trying to fix error 0x80070091, I've tried following things: Use this guide: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Help Forums Use the option 'reset this pc' and tried to use 'system recovery' but all...
  10. How do enter safe mode without enter in windows ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do enter safe mode without enter in windows ?: Hi,guys , im brazilian so.. sorry for my english... I have a problem.. how do enter in safe mode without enter in windows? I tried this mode but, dont show this option. help me [img] thanks for all 39641