Windows 10: How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's?

Discus and support How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Win10 Home installed on 2 desktops and a laptop. They are networked together via ethernet cable. They belong to the same homegroup, and all "sharing"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DCS, Nov 4, 2015.

1. DCS
    DCS Win User

How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's?

Win10 Home installed on 2 desktops and a laptop. They are networked together via ethernet cable. They belong to the same homegroup, and all "sharing" is working fine. .

My internet connection at home is a metered connection via Jetpack. My home network (ethernet) is based on a dd-wrt router in gateway mode. The gateway router is then one client on my Jetpack internet router.

On all 3 machines, I stopped and disabled the Windows Update service to avoid losing all my bandwidth to auto updates.

Yesterday, I took my laptop to work (unlimited data). I enabled and started the Update sevice. I checked for updates and let it download and install until the WU utility said my laptop was up to date.

Then I brought the laptop home, turned off the jetpack to disable internet, cabled the laptop to the ethernet network, verified network and homegroup comms, verified that all three machines we set up to receive updates "from more than one place" with "local network" option selected, then I enabled and started Windows Update service on all 3 machines, and went to bed.

My hope was that the 2 desktops would update from the laptop.

Nothing happened. No P2P updates occurred.

I did some more reading and found the following paragraph:

When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimization. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesn’t download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file.

So it sounds like i need to cable the 3 machines together and enable and start WU service, then turn on the internet and "Check for Updates" on all 3 machines, and then hope that windows will recognize the update files available on the laptop and do some P2P update sharing rather than downloading full update files for each desktop.

In other words, it's really out of my hands? Is that right?

Is there a command or trick for forcing a desktop to try to find updates from an ethernet connected laptop that belongs to the network and is even in the same homegroup?

Must the networked machines be connected to the internet for the update sharing process to take place?

:)

2. neilcq Win User

Windows 10 updates from PCs on your local network on public wifi

My question is about security of Windows 10 updates. Under normal circumstances, having the Windows Update download from LAN ("PCs on your local network") option on for your home network (LAN) will install updates from other PCs on the same network. Technically,
    when connected to a public wifi network, you are also on the LAN - would Windows Updates download from other PCs on the public wifi network?

It would be good to have clarification as I'd be happy with P2P download from my home LAN, but not from a public wifi network.

neilcq, Nov 4, 2015
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    Windows 10 Update & Security is missing from settings

Hi,

Using the P2P option allows you to share a Windows update to all computers on our local network. The setting to not allow Windows to use your bandwidth for P2P Windows updates is still available in Update & Security. Go to Advanced options then Delivery Optimization.

Feel free to post back if you have other Windows concerns.

Ar Rom, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's?

1. How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's? - Similar Threads - entice P2P local

2. p2p

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    p2p: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/p2p%E4%B8%8B%E8%BD%BD%E5%99%A8%E6%80%8E%E4%B9%88/336c8ccf-a022-4c2c-bbb2-ac7d60a99ed0
  3. Lost home network connections with last W10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost home network connections with last W10 update: We have two computers in a home network connected by cable to the same router. A printer is connected by USB to one of the computers. Before the last W10 update in February, the other computer could print to this printer as long as the first computer was turned on. This...
  4. Network connectivity between PC's running W10 pro and home

Network connectivity between PC's running W10 pro and home: I have 3 PC's, all running the same version of windows 10 1909 except 2 are 'Pro' 1 is 'Home' The problem is that although both Pro versions can access shared folders on any of the 3 machines, the one running 'home' cannot access shared folders on the other 2. When clicking...
  5. 2 W10 PCs on home network

2 W10 PCs on home network: Hello all....can't connect over my home network after updating 1 PCs OS from 7 to 10 10 ProN 18363.476 Network... Everything worked prior to updating the OS on PC 1 Cable modem to netgear 7900 7900 to PC 1 7900 to netgear Proline to PC 2 Same workgroup both PCs are on a...
  6. One PC on W10 home network will not show

One PC on W10 home network will not show: All three PCs have the same network sharing settings. Two are W10 Pro, one W10 Home. Have tried resetting network on all etc etc. Can see if addressed directly, e.g. //PC3/whatever - but the PC never shows up under Network in File Explorer. Why?! 137318
  7. W10 Home Network - File Sharing?

W10 Home Network - File Sharing?: after HomeGroup was removed in April 2018, I can't figure out how to share my files/folders over a network. I went into the [properties] of each of my drives > [Sharing] > [Advanced Sharing] > set [permissions] > [Apply] then what do i do? right-click file/folder, select...
  8. W7 and W10 networking/sharing on home network

W7 and W10 networking/sharing on home network: Unfortunately my laptop had to be rolled back to W7 due to driver issues after the version 1803 update. Now I cannot get my home networking sharing working. I can see both computers but get "you do not have permission to access>>>>" warning on both pc when trying to access...
  9. Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?: Is there any way to restrict the peer to peer sharing of Windows Updates (WUDO, just so this shows up in searches) to only specific local networks? I know I can say to get/share updates with PCs on the local network, or local plus internet. But I'd like to restrict this...
  10. Updates for W10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates for W10 Home: Microsoft made the following announcement... ..... those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates...... For W10 Home Users does ".... made...