Windows 10: How to export BEK keys for fixed drives?

Discus and support How to export BEK keys for fixed drives? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I hope someone has found the way around this, cause i haven't. The story here is, that i have two HDD as backup and both bitlocked. I recently... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Spyros78, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Spyros78 Win User

How to export BEK keys for fixed drives?

I hope someone has found the way around this, cause i haven't.

The story here is, that i have two HDD as backup and both bitlocked. I recently re-built their partitions and re-locked them as before (when i had win7), but while i can backup their recovery keys, no option now for BEK as i had created in Win7. Searched much so far but i found no relevant direction.

I need it really bad, especially for the recovery mode scenario. Anyone with proper solution or accurate info on this? *Huh

Update: Seems i should look a bit better on my own system. For anyone has the same question (after all we're humans and get distracted), in bitlocker manager, if backup recovery key is selected for any fixed drive, BEK key automatically exports to the same location as well. *Party

:)

Spyros78, Jul 26, 2018
  2. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

• Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    • usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    • clicked on save
    • ONE bek key created on USB drive
    • Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    • USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    • Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    • clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

kevvyb, Jul 26, 2018
  3. kevvyb Win User
    Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

Just worked out what it is. There is a bek key for StartUp and a bek key for Recovery. A bit confusing as there is also a 'BitLocker Recovery Key' (different format to bek Recovery key)....???

Can anyone shed any further light?

UPDATE:
    Must be that the system partition requires both startup and recovery .bek keys.

The data partition appears to only have one .bek key, presumably a recovery key.

The encryption of both system and data partitions has created just one BitLocker Recovery Key in a text file for each partition.

kevvyb, Jul 26, 2018
  4. How to export BEK keys for fixed drives?

How to export photos windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps & check if it helps.

If you were using other application apart from file explorer, you may follow the below steps to export to pen drive/flash drive.

• Open the location where the Photos are located using File Explorer.
    • Select the files you want to Export.
    • Right click on the file and select ‘Send to’ from its context menu.
    • Now select the Jump drive from the sub menu.
    • Once the transfer is done, you may open the jump hard disk drive from the File Explorer and check if the file is present there.
    Please get back with the above information to assist you better.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

How to export BEK keys for fixed drives?

1. How to export BEK keys for fixed drives? - Similar Threads - export BEK keys

2. How to export all the programs that are installed in all drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to export all the programs that are installed in all drives.: how can i export all the programs that are installed in all drive. im using wmic but it only provide list of software or programs installed in c drive but not in all driveGet list of all programs or software's installed in all drives C,D E etcCan someone provide me a solution...
  3. How to export all the programs that are installed in all drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to export all the programs that are installed in all drives.: how can i export all the programs that are installed in all drive. im using wmic but it only provide list of software or programs installed in c drive but not in all driveGet list of all programs or software's installed in all drives C,D E etcCan someone provide me a solution...
  4. How to export all the programs that are installed in all drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to fix a sticky key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix a sticky key?: My left control button is sticking, and is difficult to press. I don't want to break it, but I need to take it off to clean under it. How should I go about doing that? or would going to best buy or somewhere be a better option?Galaxy Book Pro 360 - 4 months old...
  6. Registry key information export

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry key information export: Hi, I'm looking to grab information from users' registry (one key in particular which states the VPN their using). I would then like to have this information exported so that they all are on one report with just the user name and that key information. What is the best way...
  7. problem exporting/importing registry keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem exporting/importing registry keys: I am using Repetier-Host for 3D printing. Configs are stored in the registry. Some configs are lines of code that contain CR, LF characters. These entries are made by the program. [ATTACH] If I look at the entry using Modify, copy the entry, save it to a txt file and look...
  8. exporting from computer to flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exporting from computer to flash drive: I have been trying to export a few photos from my computer to my flash drive and can't. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exporting-from-computer-to-flash-drive/9adfc7bc-352c-46f9-a3e8-fb5186d13d24
  9. Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows: How to: Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows How to Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows System configuration information is stored centrally in a hierarchical database called the registry. You can use Registry Editor to add and edit registry keys and...
  10. Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key: I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process. To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bek file