Windows 10: How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store)

Discus and support How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an excellent UWP app that I use to control my Squeezeboxes (Soundicity) which is sadly no longer available in the windows store. I`d like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by scoob101, Nov 13, 2017.

1. scoob101 Win User

How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store)

I have an excellent UWP app that I use to control my Squeezeboxes (Soundicity) which is sadly no longer available in the windows store.

I`d like to deploy this app to another machine I have on my network.

Is it possible to extract the relevant files from one PC, in order to deploy Soundicity to another machine?

:)

scoob101, Nov 13, 2017

2. Deploying App from Visual Studio fails on one account with DEP0600, can be deployed to a remote machine with no drama

Hi Andrew,

I had the same problem, but I found a solution, maybe it will help you as well.

In my case the problem was that when VS2017 wanted to deploy the UWP app locally it was reading files from the build folder of another UWP app.

Here are the steps I used:

1. Attach a VS debugger on the VS instance (devenv.exe) you want to use to deploy the app.

2. In the VS instance you attached to devenv.exe open "Exception Settings" (Ctrl+Alt+E) and in the search field type "XmlException".

3. Check the checkbox in front of the System.Xml.XmlException entry.

4. Now try to deploy the UWP app in the other VS instance and wait for the exception breakpoint to be hit.

5. Now open the call stack and go back to the point where you can see the last method call in the Microsoft.VisualStudio.TailoredProjectServices.dll. If necessary load the symbols from the MS symbol server.

6. Double click on that entry and open "Locals" (Debug->Windows->Locals). There check if the folder being used belongs to another UWP app. If yes, go to that given folder and delete the entire "bin" folder.

7. Now if you try to deploy the app again it should deploy without any issues.

Best regards,

Zoltan

Zoltán Farkas (Wilczek), Nov 13, 2017
  3. 93tid Win User
    app question: The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt

If an app is written as an UWP app from the ground up then it will be released in both app stores and work on both platforms. A PC-only app will need to be repackaged to become an UWP app. It's not difficult, but the will needs be there.

93tid, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Have you checked in the library in the store app, to see if it shows up there?
    I ask because all apps I ever had on Windows 8 and Windows 10 show up there for me(I always use the same Microsoft account for all my Windows systems).
    Maybe if you are lucky, it doesn't show in the store, but they still have it, for someone, like in your predicament.

Cliff S, Nov 13, 2017
  5. scoob101 Win User
    Thanks, yes it is in the Library - didn't think of looking in there.

Is there any method that you know of to extract the files and back them up locally, just in case?

scoob101, Nov 15, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Not that I know of, sorry.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store) - Similar Threads - Extract old UWP

2. Default UWP apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default UWP apps: Hi, I wanted to understand, If there are any Default UWP apps that comes with vanilla Win10 Prof OS. If yes, how can i verify which are the UWP apps that are currently installed. Is there command to pull the list....
  3. UWP apps not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UWP apps not working: Hello, I am using a Surface Pro (2017) on the slow ring of Windows Insider. Over the couple last weeks, performance was so slow it began making the machine useless. I did a backup of all my files and decided to do a fresh install of Windows. To my surprise however, I was...
  4. Update UWP App

in Windows 10 Support
    Update UWP App: This may have come with a LastPass install, but not sure. When booting this console window opens labeled like Thread Title. Cannot find how it is opening. Task Scheduler and AutoRuns checked. Scratching ass at this point as I never heard about Universal Apps while searching....
  5. Update UWP app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update UWP app: At bootup I keep getting this DOS window that says "Update UWP file?" It slows down my bootup noticeably! I researched this heading and found that the MIcrosoft Store Apps Settings should be Automatically ON. I followed the instructions and discovered thatthis feature is ON...
  6. UWP apps failing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UWP apps failing.: So recently, out of the blue, all of the apps that would come from the Microsoft Store stopped being able to boot. (This started happening around two weeks ago) Everything from the Calculator, to the Calendar, to Mail, to Groove Music, to Photos, Xbox Companion, and even the...
  7. UWP apps fonts

in Windows 10 Customization
    UWP apps fonts: I have 3 PCs: Desktop 1 Desktop 2 Laptop One day I noticed that the font size/spacing is different for UWP apps while using the Windows 10 settings app. The two images show easily show a difference when switching between them in the sentences. Desktop 1 and Laptop are...
  8. UWP Apps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP Apps not opening: Hello, I changed the permissions of the WindowsApps folder, as i was trying to edit some of the files, however now the apps will not open. I am sure that this is not due to me modifying any files. Is there a way to restore the permissions, or what permissions need to be...
  9. The Lifecycle of a UWP App

in Windows 10 News
    The Lifecycle of a UWP App: Lifecycle management in a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app is critical for the efficient use of battery power and memory. When done correctly, it allows the user to multitask between apps without needing to know anything about these resource optimizations. Today’s post...
  10. Deployment errors deploying UWP to Microsoft Windows Emulators

in Windows 10 Support
    Deployment errors deploying UWP to Microsoft Windows Emulators: The UWP can be deployed to the Local Machine; the Simulator and the device Lumia 950. The Hyper-V shows that the emulators are running. But it cannot be deployed to the emulators. Here are the error messages from two different version of emulators: [img] [img]...