Windows 10: How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files?

Discus and support How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I want to find and delete files that are taking up space. I mainly want to find large files that I'm unaware of. I've already run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016.

1. How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files?

Hi all, I want to find and delete files that are taking up space. I mainly want to find large files that I'm unaware of.

I've already run the Windows 10 app "Disk Clean Up" and it deleted about 2GB worth of files.

Any help would be great!

:)

NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016
  2. CJLim Win User

Nokia 5800 - how can i delete unnecessary languages?

The languages are part of a language pack which cannot be modified by the user, so the answer is no.

CJLim, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Nokia 5800 - how can i delete unnecessary languages?

I have Nokia 5800 with software v20.

Every day I need only two languages: Russian and English. But menu "writng language" has long list of unnecessary languages: Bulgarian, English, Deutsch, Magyar, Romana, Russian, Ukrainian. It is inconvenient because this list is out of screen in landscape
    orientation of phone.

Is it possible to remove unnecessary languages from the available language list?

Thank you.

piligrim---01, Oct 22, 2016
  4. How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files?

I don't want to install a 3rd party app as this would mean I'm giving the app access to all of my files... *Shock

NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    CCleaner is good but it's a 3rd party program. You can do the following yourself:

1. Clear the browser cache for all users
    2. Delete the files in c:\windows\temp
    3. Delete the files in %localappdata%\temp for each user
    4. Unistall programs not needed

Steve C, Oct 22, 2016
  6. Thanks!

I did as you suggested, but is there something else I can do to find large files then decide if I want to delete them or not?

NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Yes! Tree Size Free is excellent. It is 3rd party but quite safe to use - just be sure of the files you are deleting. See TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

Steve C, Oct 22, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files?

As you wish not to install a 3rd party app, just go to Settings>System>Storage and click an view around.
    when necessary, it will open File Explorer to view if & when needed.

How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Oct 22, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    ccleaner would save you a lot of manual work and time.

swarfega, Oct 22, 2016
  10. Wow, this is the first time I'm seeing this feature in Windows 10! I'm checking it out now! Thank you!!!

NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome.
    There are a lot of... not hidden... but, also not obvious things in settings.

Cliff S, Oct 22, 2016
  12. But if I delete "hidden" files isn't it possible for me to delete important files...? :'( :'(

NiceAndShy, Oct 24, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

I think you misunderstood my comment.
    I meant hidden things in the settings app.
    It can be hard to see what is a link to a further setting(or control panel also) and what is not.

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2016
  14. Thanks! I spent some time in that "Storage" function but I couldn't find much to delete.

Other than Disk Clean Up, is there anything else I can try?

NiceAndShy, Oct 25, 2016
  15. Traijan Win User
    Warning: 3rd Party app: WinDirStat

It allows me to see all of my HDD's and know what is on them and see which are the biggest offenders (in my case it's always my Steam games coming in at close to 1TB, but there are also some that show up that surprise me they are so large (Nvidia once showed up with some huge GB gobbling needs on my PC)

Traijan, Oct 25, 2016
Thema:

1. How To Find And Delete Unnecessary Files? - Similar Threads - Find Delete Unnecessary

2. Find deleted Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find deleted Files: How do I find a file or folder that was deleted without downloading a third party software or for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-deleted-files/8243c401-edd6-42b1-9f1c-24e6ea52e815
  3. Find deleted Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Find deleted Files: How do I find a file or folder that was deleted without downloading a third party software or for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-deleted-files/8243c401-edd6-42b1-9f1c-24e6ea52e815
  4. "unnecessary files"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "unnecessary files"?: Hello Everyone: Today I do " Disk Cleanup". It processed very slow, it seems that there are too many file to clean. Later, the window said: The Disk Cleanup utility is cleaning unnecessary files on your machine....
  5. Windows 10 Unnecessary Files Deletion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Unnecessary Files Deletion: Hello guys, I am having a full installation of windows 10 that is 18Gb in size. I need to delete some unnecessary files of windows 10 so there will be more space for other purposes. Is there any lists of those unnecessary files to remove them? submitted by...
  6. unnecessary and junk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unnecessary and junk files: Please tell me how I to clean unnecessary junk files and software from pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unnecessary-and-junk-files/8d39523d-ac2b-4416-a065-6eb50e896532"
  7. delete unnecessary files and apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delete unnecessary files and apps: Delete unnecessary apps and files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-unnecessary-files-and-apps/3733fe49-cfd4-4a8e-910d-d6f70fa75751
  8. Deleting unnecessary partitions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Deleting unnecessary partitions: So after some bad times the other week I have reinstalled windows. I now have some (probably ) unnecessary partitions. I really should have wiped the drive and started from scratch when I reinstalled Windows but hey ho. Which of these are safe to delete ? Presumably I will...
  9. Deleting an unnecessary UPDATE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleting an unnecessary UPDATE: A tech operator deleted an update its been almost 7hrs so far says restoring registry and files how long could this take. A game I play won't play after loading that's why on remote session update was removed....
  10. Delete unused/unnecessary files

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete unused/unnecessary files: Hello, Recently had to make some changes to associate files to programs. Have noticed in the list lot of unknown files, dont know where they came from. Previously (on win7) had installed "AVG tuneup" program, it had the exact function to clean these files, but did not insall...