Windows 10: How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?

Discus and support How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I ping another Windows device on my LAN my local Windows uses an IPv6 address. (I think I have IPv4 pings blocked by my firewalls.) A packet trace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Jul 3, 2018.

1. How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?

When I ping another Windows device on my LAN my local Windows uses an IPv6 address. (I think I have IPv4 pings blocked by my firewalls.) A packet trace shows Windows issuing NBNS, MDNS, and LLMNR packets which seem to be from 3 different network discovery procedures. The MDNS and LLMNR responses both return IPv6 addresses.

Is there any command, either from Microsoft or 3rd party, that returns IPv6 addresses gathered by these (or other) commands.

"NSLOOKUP -query=AAAA ...." would work if the addresses were registered on my router's name server, but they are not. (My router's DNS does not return IPv6 addresses that it knows about, and the ping used link-local addresses that are not provided to DNS servers anyway.)

Some network scanning tools - SoftPerfect's Network Scanner, for instance - find some of the IPv6 addresses on my LAN, but I want to be able to query the addresses for a specify device name, not scan the whole address. (And even the SoftPerfect tool does not find the IPv6 addresses for my Synaology NAS. And a "ping -6 ..." by name for the Synaology NAS fails but a "ping -6 ..." by address succeeds. The Synology NAS must work at hiding its IPv6 address.)

:)

pokeefe0001, Jul 3, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Converting to IPV6 - how do I set up Local LAN addresses

Hi there

ISP is migrating to IPV6 shortly. I'm going to bite the bullet and try to convert LAN adresses to IPV6 -- not sure how to do this Google isn't totally helpful on this either.

I believe for the switch over period one can use something like a NAT64 gateway for access to both IPV4 and IPV6 systems.

I've set the DNS's in the router to use Google;s public DNS64 which are :

2001:4860:4860::6464
    2001:4860:4860::64

My Routers IPV6 menu suggests I use default link as gateway

2001:0db8:0:f101::1

This works so far on Internet

Google's public DNS64 returns IPV4 addresses as "pseudo" ipv6 ones which

I've set the router to IPV4/IPV6 dual stack.

I'm stuck on what I should use on the local LAN though. I've only got 1 Linux computer now with Internet access -should be up to 4 - 6 windows machines, plus 3 android phones plus an amazon fire TV box, 2X Linux NAS servers and a smart TV.

The amazon TV works as does the smart TV but I haven't a clue about the local computers.

I can only access the NAS box now from another Linux VM an -- Windows machines just don't get a look in.

This is only a test --I can revert back but eventually this will have to work and I've a bit of free time today to play with this.

BTW take a note of ALL settings before playing with any of this type of stuff as it will an impossible job to get it all back again if it doesn't work.

Would appreciate help from Gurus.

Router is IPV6 capable - no probs there.

How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN? [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 3, 2018
  3. First Affordable IPv6 Router Begins To Be Available In The UK

People are talking IPv6 compatible as being around a long time. Well, actually, IPv6 WAN at router then NAT IPv4 on LAN has been around a while. Getting IPv6 on LAN is a different beast. I for one won't and can't upgrade many legacy devices, so when IPv6 comes, I will have to NAT it to IPv4 on the LAN.

Completely Bonkers, Jul 3, 2018
  4. btarunr Win User

How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?

World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol

Major Internet service providers (ISPs), home networking equipment manufacturers, and web companies around the world are coming together to permanently enable IPv6 for their products and services by 6 June 2012.

Organized by the Internet Society, and building on the successful one-day World IPv6 Day event held on 8 June 2011, World IPv6 Launch represents a major milestone in the global deployment of IPv6. As the successor to the current Internet Protocol, IPv4, IPv6 is critical to the Internet’s continued growth as a platform for innovation and economic development.

How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN? 169a_thm.jpg

“The fact that leading companies across several industries are making significant commitments to participate in World IPv6 Launch is yet another indication that IPv6 is no longer a lab experiment; it's here and is an important next step in the Internet’s evolution,” commented Leslie Daigle, the Internet Society’s Chief Internet Technology Officer. “And, as there are more IPv6 services, it becomes increasingly important for companies to accelerate their own deployment plans.”

ISPs participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 for enough users so that at least 1% of their wireline residential subscribers who visit participating websites will do so using IPv6 by 6 June 2012. These ISPs have committed that IPv6 will be available automatically as the normal course of business for a significant portion of their subscribers. Committed ISPs are:
    • AT&T
    • Comcast
    • Free Telecom
    • Internode
    • KDDI
    • Time Warner Cable
    • XS4ALL
    Participating home networking equipment manufacturers will enable IPv6 by default through the range of their home router products by 6 June 2012. Committed equipment manufacturers are:
    • Cisco
    • D-Link
    Web companies participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 on their main websites permanently beginning 6 June 2012. Inaugural participants are:
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • Microsoft Bing
    • Yahoo!
    Content delivery network providers Akamai and Limelight will be enabling their customers to join this list of participating websites by enabling IPv6 throughout their infrastructure.
    As IPv4 addresses become increasingly scarce, every segment of the industry must act quickly to accelerate full IPv6 adoption or risk increased costs and limited functionality online for Internet users everywhere. World IPv6 Launch participants are leading the way in this effort.

For more information about World IPv6 Launch, products and services covered, as well as links to useful information for users and information about how other companies may participate, visit World IPv6 Launch.

About the need for IPv6
    IPv4 has approximately four billion IP addresses (the sequence of numbers assigned to each Internet-connected device). The explosion in the number of people, devices, and web services on the Internet means that IPv4 is running out of space. IPv6, the next-generation Internet protocol which provides more than 340 trillion, trillion, trillion addresses, will connect the billions of people not connected today and will help ensure the Internet can continue its current growth rate indefinitely.

About the Internet Society
    The Internet Society is the world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards and future development. Based on its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members and Chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments, and other organizations around the world. For more information, see InternetSociety.org.

btarunr, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?

1. How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN? - Similar Threads - find IPv6 addresses

2. How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address: I want to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 randomly forever because i scare someone can trace me but i don't see any tool to change ip random not handmade. And 1 question : If i upgrade windows 10 to 11, can it change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address . And if they know my IPipv4 and ipv6,...
  3. How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address: I want to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 randomly forever because i scare someone can trace me but i don't see any tool to change ip random not handmade. And 1 question : If i upgrade windows 10 to 11, can it change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address . And if they know my IPipv4 and ipv6,...
  4. How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How can I find a MAC address of LAN device from old computer hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find a MAC address of LAN device from old computer hard drive.: My old computers motherboard died. And I bought a new computer and kept the old HDD. But my internet connection is bound to the old computer LAN MAC address. I have tried to find it in the old drive windows register, but there is not defined. Is in windows an option like in...
  6. How to block an IPv6 address in windows firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to block an IPv6 address in windows firewall: I have noticed some suspicious activity on my computer. My Gmail password might even have been changed I’ve not change the back, so I am very concerned. The activity seems to be coming from an iPv6 address. So, I would like to block it with windows firewall....
  7. IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN: Hello, I got a place with a small network, a workgroup environment, sharing files. They've worked fine for a long time, then all of a sudden 1 of the computers starts getting errors with the mapped network drive to the "server" computer. Over the past 8 or so months I've...
  8. Unable to get ipv6 address

Unable to get ipv6 address: I have problem with ipv6 connectivity.I have 2 different OS on the same machine, but only ubuntu can access ipv6. On win10, it seems that the ipv6 address cannot be assigned to the OS. I can only get one fe80: gateway. Another win10 device can get ipv6 address through the...
  9. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...
  10. Converting to IPV6 - how do I set up Local LAN addresses

Converting to IPV6 - how do I set up Local LAN addresses: Hi there ISP is migrating to IPV6 shortly. I'm going to bite the bullet and try to convert LAN adresses to IPV6 -- not sure how to do this Google isn't totally helpful on this either. I believe for the switch over period one can use something like a NAT64 gateway for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ipv6 lan adress hiw to find it

2. find local LAN IP4 and IPV6 addresses of my computer

3. find ipv6 lan address

4. how to find the ipv6 add on a device,
  5. how to find ipv6 of headless device