Windows 10: How to find Microsoft Windows Product Key On External Hard Drive

Discus and support How to find Microsoft Windows Product Key On External Hard Drive in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Windows 10 crashed while updating OS because the power went out. The drive will no longer boot up. I have connected the problem hard drive to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by JohnRoss1969, Feb 24, 2016.

1. How to find Microsoft Windows Product Key On External Hard Drive

Windows 10 crashed while updating OS because the power went out. The drive will no longer boot up.

I have connected the problem hard drive to another PC's USB port so I can see my files. I am now able to view all of the files.

I will be formatting the problem hard drive, installing Windows 7, then upgrading back to Windows 10. I have my Windows 7 CD but have misplaced the Product Key Code. I would also like to find the Product Key Code for Windows 7, now upgraded to Windows 10 that's NOT Working.

:)

JohnRoss1969, Feb 24, 2016

2. I have a question of clean installing windows 10 on a new ssd.

If you have an external hard disk, you could backup your files then restore then on the drive when you install Windows 10:

How to Backup to an External Hard Drive

How to Restore a Backup From an External Hard Drive in Windows 7

Perform a clean install on the new SSD then use your Windows 7 product key to activate it:

How to install and activate
    Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Home Encryption

Although Windows 10 Home does not support encryption of external drives, my system (unbeknownst to me) encrypted both my internal and an external hard drive. I was able to find the recovery key at my Microsoft account for my internal drive so I could use
    my Dell laptop, and find the encryption option and turn it off (I never turned it on).

However, there is no record at my Microsoft account for the recovery key for the external drive (I tried the same key, but it's a different Key ID).

Any ideas how this happened, and where the key might be stored? Do I have no choice but to reformat and lose the data?

Thanks!

Harold

CoralGlint59935, Feb 24, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

How to find Microsoft Windows Product Key On External Hard Drive

davidhk, Feb 24, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Produkey will do this - you have to use

File - Select Source, click "Load the product keys from an external source" and navigate to windows directory

cereberus, Feb 24, 2016
  6. Cereberus, Thank you for responding.

I downloaded Produkey but it did not find what I was looking for. Do you know in what file within Windows the Product Key resides?

JohnRoss1969, Feb 28, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    I just point it to the C:\windows directory.

cereberus, Feb 28, 2016
  8. TrustMe Win User

You need to point to the C:\Windows\System32\config directory. Because your using a USB device to connect your hard drive it will not be the "C" drive. Point to what ever drive letter the problem hard drive is.

TrustMe, Feb 28, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    That depends - a lot of prewindows up t to the X drive, leaving C mapping in place.

cereberus, Feb 29, 2016
  10. Cereberus, Thanks again for respondoing. I checked the Windows 32 Config folder & I'm getting a message that says I do not have permission to access the file. I can only assume it's because on the problem hard drive I was listed as the administrator? It is not recognising me as a administrator because I am not logged on through Windows on the problem drive?

I also checked under Windows Old as I am trying to obtain Windows 7 key code that I have a CD for & not the current OS Windows 10 upgrade.

JohnRoss1969, Feb 29, 2016
  11. TrustMe Win User
    I think cereberus was correct, just point to Windows. I did this so long ago I'm trying to remember. A friend gave me a computer to retrieve his product key and it would not boot.

I used a live Linux USB to boot his computer and made a copy of his config folder. Now what you have to do is make a new folder and name it Windows, inside the Windows folder make another new folder and name it System32. Inside the System32 folder place the copied config folder.

Then I moved the Windows folder to a working computer and installed ProduKey. I pointer ProduKey to the Windows folder and it worked. I think I even left the Windows folder on the USB flash drive.

I did not get the message about not having permission accessing the file.

That is the best I can remember. Good luck.

TrustMe, Mar 1, 2016
  12. I Copied System32 config folder to thumb drive. Received the following, Error: 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

JohnRoss1969, Mar 1, 2016
  13. TrustMe Win User

Did you make a new Windows folder and a new System32 folder inside the Windows folder? Then place the copied config folder inside the System32 folder? It has to be dune this way. Then point ProduKey to the new Windows folder.

I don't know why you are getting the error message. I'm taking a guess here but try right clicking on ProduKey.exe or its shortcut and choose "Run as Administor". Maybe that will help.

Are you logged in as administrator or if your using someone's computer are you using an administrative account? Maybe that is the problem.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to find Microsoft Windows Product Key On External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - find Microsoft Product

2. how to find windows product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to find windows product key: how to find windows 10 homepro product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-windows-product-key/77c34b5d-26e4-4213-916a-e26ead6d3b2b
  3. how to find product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to find product key: how to find my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-product-key/504952ff-c8ae-453c-ace6-f4ea8308791f
  4. How to find a product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find a product key?: Why my product key has been blocked from use by Microsoft and how to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-a-product-key/cd2393e7-4a27-4f45-a0a8-f8c2c9efa362
  5. How to find a product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find a product key?: Why my product key has been blocked from use by Microsoft and how to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-a-product-key/cd2393e7-4a27-4f45-a0a8-f8c2c9efa362
  6. How to find "PHOTOS" in external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find "PHOTOS" in external hard drive.: My old Acer Desktop with Windows 10 died peacefully. I removed the hard drive from it and have a hard drive dock. When I plug in the dock, I see the following see image below. My question is where are my photos? How can I find them? I want to transfer them to my new computer....
  7. How to find Product Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to find Product Key: I've got a simple question how can I find my Product Key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-product-key/c5453467-5f80-4d01-a0e6-ae2020fbb334
  8. how to find window product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to find window product key: how to locate the product key of window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-window-product-key/1497bff8-eee2-4a1c-8708-fb8576dd709b
  9. how to find product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to find product key: I purchased my laptop via ebay in april 2019. It has windows 10 preinstalled when I purchased it now it shows I need to activate windows following undates but I don't have/know the product key can anyone assist me with this issue? Thank you Elizabeth...
  10. How to find product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to find product key?: bought this pc from a seller online pre built. now i couldnt find my product key pls help ***Original title: product key*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-product-key/171bec31-b728-4384-b661-6fcd17054d1b"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. find windows key on external drive

2. find product key on external hard drive

3. how to find windows key on hard drive

4. how to find a product key on hdd,
  5. CAN YOU FIND THE WINDOWS KEY ON A HARD DRIVE,
  6. find product key office external drive,
  7. find windows key external hard drive,
  8. find office product key on external drive,
  9. find windows product key on other hard drive,
  10. how to find office product key in a hard drive,
  11. getting windows key from hard rive,