Windows 10: How to find screen on time (SOT) on windows laptops

Discus and support How to find screen on time (SOT) on windows laptops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Is there a way to find the screen on time for your device running windows 10? If there is no built in way to do this, is there any 3rd party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nster, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Nster Win User

How to find screen on time (SOT) on windows laptops

Hi,

Is there a way to find the screen on time for your device running windows 10?

If there is no built in way to do this, is there any 3rd party program that can measure screen on time (SOT measures how many hours your screen is on as a way of testing battery life)

Thanks in advanced for the help!

:)

Nster, Dec 1, 2015
  2. BLKBRD37 Win User

Resizing Windows 10 Screen.

When I try to drag the screen Sot icon to your Reply, it just won't stay there.

bb37

BLKBRD37, Dec 1, 2015
  3. CK-600 Car Kit (Nokia N97 phone) - 2000 Model Year Chrysler Grand Voyager LX

I dont think this will work with the sot lead you have, the audio level will be too high and may damage the amplifier. this will need to installed with a soft mute lead and i can not find one for your car. the best thing you can do is contact a nokia accredited
    engineer, that way it will be done correct first time.

Dan.

dannyboy---01, Dec 1, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Not heard of SOT with regard to PCs before.

Uptime is a measure of time elapsed since the OS was started.

It can be seen at the bottom of the TaskManager Performance CPU tab.

SOT usually refers to always-on devices like Mobile Phones - where the battery life is more heavily drained when the screen is on.

Fafhrd, Dec 1, 2015
  5. Sniper47 Win User
    I need this answered as well. Surely in the very long history of Windows there must be some app that records the amount of time the screen has been on? I can find nothing. It's very strange.

Sniper47, Jan 18, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I doubt if there's even a feature on the GPU or chipset with a timer associated with the screen monitor "on" event in a desktop PC or even a standard laptop - just uptime, which can include periods when the monitor is on or off - although there are obviously events that can turn off the signal to the monitor after a certain time after inactivity - it's only really important in always-on devices like mobile phones to monitor battery-draining resource use which need to be switched off promptly to conserve limited battery resources.

Traditionally monitors were separate devices which could be switched off externally to the system, or not even connected at all in the case of some server systems. Not that long ago, CRT monitors were in use, which for the most part were analog devices that could not report their state (i.e off or on) back to the PC.

How do Android-based systems handle this? There is a feature on battery>screen>time on, but it is even difficult on Google to discover what API calls are made to get this, except the user activity timeout which turns the screen off after a predefined time - which has a Windows counterpart.

I guess Windows phones and tablets must have this feature at the hardware level, but it apparently wasn't available in the Windows Phone v. 7.5 API, and it probably just remains some obfuscated feature in Windows 10 that has not been implemented publically yet. If enough people shout at the windows development team that they want to build an app that will show SOT, the functionality and API calls will probably be released in the future. As battery drain times get better, it's a feature that will be less used in the future.

Fafhrd, Jan 18, 2016
  7. Sniper47 Win User
    Fairly sure its not nearly as complicated as all that. Laptops have been around for a couple of decades, a relatively enormous amount of time... and there's 2 general states to a display... On or off. Surely Windows must "know" whether a display is on or off, especially since it has the power to turn a display on or off. Maybe there's just been no use for recording screen on time so no app has been created yet...

Sniper47, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to find screen on time (SOT) on windows laptops - Similar Threads - find screen SOT

2. Problem with headphones in SoT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with headphones in SoT: Hello and welcome. I have Senhheiser Momentum 4 headphones and Windows 11. When I turn on SoT, they go into hands-free telephone mode, which makes comfortable gaming impossible. This problem occurred with other headphones of this brand and on Windows 10, but I could turn off...
  3. Problem with headphones in SoT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with headphones in SoT: Hello and welcome. I have Senhheiser Momentum 4 headphones and Windows 11. When I turn on SoT, they go into hands-free telephone mode, which makes comfortable gaming impossible. This problem occurred with other headphones of this brand and on Windows 10, but I could turn off...
  4. Trying to connect to SoT servers for a week.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to connect to SoT servers for a week.: Hi. I've been trying to play Sea of Thieves for a week now, but I always get the "Marblebeard" connection error, which is related to NAT. However my NAT is in "Open", and after contacting SoT support they stopped responding to me I saw that I don't have Xbox Live services in...
  5. How to find laptop screen size in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to find laptop screen size in windows 10?: Hello guys! I want to know how you can find your laptop screen size in windows as there any easy way.\ Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-laptop-screen-size-in-windows-10/5860c342-9f97-4087-a411-01e9df56ac43
  6. I cannot seem to find out how to disable Screen time Notifications.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I cannot seem to find out how to disable Screen time Notifications.: I am a member in the family. My father is the organizer and he needs to know how to disable this in order for it to help me. I am familiar with the screen time limits but I am concerned with me when I hit a certain time for an example 15 or 2 minutes a blue banner or bar in...
  7. SOT Microsoft Store install issues.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    SOT Microsoft Store install issues.: I already own the game and am trying to reinstall it again. When i try to download it via the Microsoft Store on either my C or D drive D has more space, it won't let me download it on that drive. I have tried the wsreset trick and there is no fix. The Install button is there...
  8. How to find the time it takes for an app to start in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to find the time it takes for an app to start in Windows 10?: How to find the time it takes for an app to start from the time the app icon is clicked on Start Menu or Task bar in Windows 10? Actually, they start practically immediately, but I'd like to know, how to check the time it takes. Thanks!...
  9. SoT trying to set up a second account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SoT trying to set up a second account: I got this game for my son, and he has been enjoying it, but lamenting the fact that most of his friends are playing other games. I bought a second copy so that we can play together (different win 10 machines) but I am having a difficult time figuring out how to log into the...
  10. How to find/backup Windows 10 on a laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to find/backup Windows 10 on a laptop: I've just bought an Asus Win 10 laptop and noticed that there is no CD-key at the bottom and the laptop does not prompt me to make a recovery disc. How do I backup my windows copy if I need to reformat or if the HD becomes corrupt? The last laptop I bought in 2013 had a key....