Windows 10: how to find your Windows 10 Key

Discus and support how to find your Windows 10 Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; http://pcsupport.about.com/od/produc...oduct-keys.htm Anyone know a software like the ones mentioned in this article to find my windows 10 key? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robby, Sep 18, 2015.

1. robby Win User

how to find your Windows 10 Key

robby, Sep 18, 2015

2. How to find your Windows 10 product key?

Windows 10 free upgrade does not include a free product key.

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license
    you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function in Windows 10.

If you have your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key, you can use that to activate.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

how to find your Windows 10 Key [​IMG]

Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Sep 18, 2015
  3. How to find your Windows 10 product key?

How to find your Windows 10 product key

<Original title - windows 10 activate >

<PC/Phone not stated>

SAMER NOUR EDDINE, Sep 18, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Hi, if you did a Win10 upgrade from your old OS using the promotional offer then you do not have a key. You only receive a key if you have purchased a new Win10 Standalone (aka Retail) license

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    The free upgrade is just that: an upgrade.

If you can transfer the OS that you upgraded on the first machine to the other computer, and then upgrade the second machine, that'd be OK.

If not, you'll need to buy a license.

bobkn, Sep 18, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    That depends on whether the original license was Retail or OEM.

• If the original license was Retail then the user will have full transfer rights to a new device.
    • If the original was of an OEM flavor, then the user will be required to purchase a new Win10 license as transfer is not possible

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  7. You say there is no key if you upgraded.... If so, what is the Magical Jellybean key finder showing me?
    It says cd key, and gives me five (5) sets of numbers and letters ...It also gives me a product number and some other stuff.

KY COLONEL, Sep 18, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

There are a few Win10 generic keys that may be displayed.

Yours is probably showing this:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    or maybe
    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99

The license is stored as hardware hash on MS servers. No product key.

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  9. The free upgrade gives you a generic key as mentioned. It's of little use. When you do the free upgrade and then activate Windows 10 a hardware ID for that PC is stored on the activation server, along with which version of Windows 10 that PC got with the free upgrade. When you do a clean install on that PC you can just skip entering a key and it will activate against the hardware ID on the activation server. If you do a clean install on hardware with no activation record / stored hardware ID, it will fail activation if you use that generic key. You would then have to enter a valid (non generic) key to activate.

alphanumeric, Sep 18, 2015
  10. alphanumeric, Sep 18, 2015
  11. robby Win User
    Interesting discussion. What if I went back to windows 8.1 would I get my non generic key back?

robby, Sep 18, 2015
  12. robby Win User
    ShowKey plus gave me my installed key, which is neither of the keys your provided above. Does that mean I have my real key?

robby, Sep 18, 2015
  13. how to find your Windows 10 Key

What version (Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc) of Windows 10 are you running, and what build is it? How did you originally install it? Upgrade or clean install?

alphanumeric, Sep 18, 2015
  14. WhyMe Win User
    It means that unless you purchased a brand new Win10 license you have one of the other generic keys. I have generic keys (for my upgraded devices) and a unique key for new Win10 Standalone (aka retail) license.

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    It is not a discussion. It is a statement of fact.

If you rolled back to Win8.1 then you would be using your original license and key once more. The stored Win10 hardware hash for your device will remain on MS servers.

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

1. how to find your Windows 10 Key - Similar Threads - find Key

2. Cannot find bitlocker recovery key to my old laptop in my account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot find bitlocker recovery key to my old laptop in my account: Hi there, About a year ago, my old laptop died and only recently, I decided to recover my information. At the service center, they managed to retrieve my SSD drive and connect it to a new laptop. However, to access the files, they require the BitLocker recovery key. I...
  3. Cannot find bitlocker recovery key to my old laptop in my account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find bitlocker recovery key to my old laptop in my account: Hi there, About a year ago, my old laptop died and only recently, I decided to recover my information. At the service center, they managed to retrieve my SSD drive and connect it to a new laptop. However, to access the files, they require the BitLocker recovery key. I...
  4. Cannot find bitlocker recovery key to my old laptop in my account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to find my Microsoft recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find my Microsoft recovery key: How to find my Microsoft recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-microsoft-recovery-key/7a54ded8-c71d-462f-877b-676cb1850893
  6. How to find my Microsoft recovery key

How to find my Microsoft recovery key: How to find my Microsoft recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-microsoft-recovery-key/7a54ded8-c71d-462f-877b-676cb1850893
  7. i cant find my product key to activate my windows 10pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i cant find my product key to activate my windows 10pro: Please help with my product key for Windows 10pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-my-product-key-to-activate-my-windows/e0771d02-ef14-429b-bb47-e3f461d4a616
  8. i cant find my product key to activate my windows 10pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant find my product key to activate my windows 10pro: Please help with my product key for Windows 10pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-my-product-key-to-activate-my-windows/e0771d02-ef14-429b-bb47-e3f461d4a616
  9. i cant find my product key to activate my windows 10pro

10. How to find my Windows 10 Home Digital Key Code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to find my Windows 10 Home Digital Key Code: Hello Community; I failed to back up my old computer and it crashed, DEAD.I now have a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home, no visible key code stickers.It is probably a Digital Key code, is there a way that I can find out what it is for future use in case I have to reinstall my...