Windows 10: How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?

Discus and support How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (Pro), installed all the updates, but my Start Menu is broken - when you start typing in the search box, it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dark77, Dec 6, 2016.

1. dark77 Win User

How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?

Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (Pro), installed all the updates, but my Start Menu is broken - when you start typing in the search box, it shows no results, if I type "Settings", nothing comes up, if I type "Word", nothing gets there. Curiously, if I type the full name ("winword"), it manages to find the file.

I tried to fix this by:
    1. Powershell method
    2. Setting Refcount of user profile in registry to 0 and restart
    3. Rebuild the search index (rebuild done, but no change)

Now, about a year ago, this has happenned to me once. That time the only thing that worked is that I created a new user profile, and then copied everything from that profile to my usual profile. After that everything is OK.

So I created the new user profile (everything is OK on it, Search and Start Menu work sweetly) but I cannot locate the website with the instruction on how to copy the complete profile from my new one to my old one that I am used to.

This was a fresh installation, so I have absolutely zero files in My Docs / My Music / My Photos ,etc, I only need to do this to fix the broken Search / Start Menu on my usual profile.

Anyone know a page with the instructions that work for sure?

Cheers

:)

dark77, Dec 6, 2016
  2. Linney Win User

Windows 10 App Store and Apps Missing and can't reinstall

You might have a corrupted user profile.

Fix: Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10

<link to Reimage pushing site removed>

copying a user profile to another profile

Copying A User Profile To Another Profile

How to fix corrupt user profile in windows 8?

Fix corrupt profile in Windows 8

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more

You don't want to copy these files. They will be created for you in the new user profile.

Ntuser.dat

Ntuser.dat.log

Ntuser.ini

It may be necessary to show both Hidden, and System Files, and also to uncheck "Hide known file types" in Control Panel/ File Explorer Options/ View, to navigate to the mentioned locations and to see file extensions.

Linney, Dec 6, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    Microsoft Edge Performance Issues

How to fix corrupt user profile in windows 8?

Fix corrupt profile in Windows 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

It may be necessary to show both Hidden, and System Files, and also to uncheck "Hide known file types" in Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View, to navigate to the mentioned locations and to see file extensions.

How to test integrity of user profile?

How to test integrity of user profile?

Linney, Dec 6, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I read your post after having some account problems. See my post 2 at Unresponsive Start menu which is the solution to your problem.

Steve C, Dec 23, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    You need 3 accounts the faulty one the one with a good profile and one to copy as you cant copy the files in use the profiles are in c: users so you login with 3rd profile or use a linux boot cd and copy the files from the working one to the bad one its simpler with linux live cd as no problems with security

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it? - Similar Threads - fix corrupt user

2. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: Recently, I've been trying to purchase an application on the Microsoft Store, however the payment screen would always go blank in a matter of seconds. After some online research, I was able to follow a thread that proposed the solution of trying to purchase the application...
  3. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  4. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  5. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: My main only user profile cannot launch cmd.exe, Windows Defender, and a 1-2 other utilities. This happened after I install a Linux distro using WSL. Tried troubleshooting it using online solutions, which didn't help. I upgraded to Windows 11 and that didn't help. I took my...
  6. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  7. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  8. User profile corrupted, repair/fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile corrupted, repair/fix: It appears my Microsoft Account/Windows 10 user profile is corrupted. I have been unable to install some? apps from the Microsoft Store, specifically People and MSN Weather. Also, I recently tried to install updates for my church accounting software. It started and then...
  9. Fixing a corrupt user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fixing a corrupt user profile: I've been trying off and on for months trying to get Microsoft Ultimate Word Games to sync with the cloud, but I can't do it. I've read that I have a corrupt user profile as far as MUWG is concerned--my other games [Microsoft Solitaire, etc.] have no problem syncing, so I...
  10. Windows 10 - How to copy 1 user profile to a new user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - How to copy 1 user profile to a new user profile: My oldest son would like to give my youngest son his Windows 10 laptop, but he doesn't want the younger son to use his user profile. Because the current user profile has all the software, links, etc. that the younger one needs, I would like to make a duplicate user profile...