Windows 10: How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons?

Discus and support How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an install with a low end Celeron-based Acer laptop that serves mostly as a desktop, hooked to a big monitor via VGA cable. Unfortunately the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Jun 12, 2015.

1. cognus Win User

How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons?

I have an install with a low end Celeron-based Acer laptop that serves mostly as a desktop, hooked to a big monitor via VGA cable. Unfortunately the laptop must be opened to get to the power button.
    The user is a legal professional, not a pc tech.

with auto-arrange etc UNCHECKED [so, supposedly icons do what you make them do], the icons will rearrange themselves in a random fashion, resize differently, "ghost-out", etc. it really is maddening because user-installed Apps and just simple file paths are impossibly difficult for non-tech users on windows 10 [and its immediate predecessor].

what is the PERMANENT cure for this? I see a good number of threads on MS boards re: this problem on 8.0 and 8.1, none of which are encouraging. seems microsoft is pretty clueless about it - This does not happen on all systems of course, but in my experience, connectiing Intel HD-family graphics to external monitors is a roll of the dice [pretty solid with AMD or Nvidia]. Sometimes no sync at all occurs, sometimes resolution is difficult to set [impossible for non-tech users], primary display designation is lost/reassigned, etc.

help pls

:)

cognus, Jun 12, 2015

2. i have an invisible window

There is an invisible window in middle of my desktop it sounds weird but it is there it is blocking me from pressing buttons (icons, Search box etc)i more or less figured out wear it is because when i put my mouse over it it shows me the resize arrows
    but it doesn't resize and it doesn't move i cant x it or minus it how do i get rid of it

schneir wilhelm, Jun 12, 2015
  3. AleksTarn Win User
    Start button does not react; one-window-mode; desktop disappeared

I had upgraded to 10 a week ago. (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Notebook).

Everything worked fine until today. Then, out of the blue:

1) the Start button does not react as it did before (shows just Start menu and does not move to the Desktop)

2) I can't get to my Desktop and to all its icons (which just disappeared)

3) Explorer (and other applications) cannot get resized and catches the whole window. The control button "resize-maximize" does not react.

Please help

AleksTarn, Jun 12, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Which build are you using.. that might give someone an idea of how to start to help you out.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  5. cognus Win User
    This thread is a new find for me, and still pretty current. There are a couple of potential "solutions" here that I had not heard of. in particular, the point one poster made about differing resolutions makes some sense, when we're dealing with the poorly implemented Intel HD graphics trying to switch between displays. I'll give one or more of these a shot. also the very last/recent post is quite interesting but I dunno if the user can stomach it.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/37635-63-desktop-icons-moving

cognus, Jun 13, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Pretty current means?? Build 10130?? And the thread you posted is for WIn7 and not Win10. .. are you having the issue with Win10?? I only ask because you didn't make it very clear.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  7. cognus Win User
    Apologies: I have not seen this on the windows 10 systems [I have seen/worked-on only 5], only on windows 8.1 and I have no idea which build that one is on - the current Windows 10 dual-monitor setup is 130.
    Apparently in Windows 8 [8.1?] the method of storing icon &/or thumbnail cache has changed. Is that correct and copied over into Windows 10? i.e. there is a series of iconcache and thumbcache files created/maintained?

cognus, Jun 13, 2015
  8. ZuzDCruz Win User

I have similar problem for 1 months and i tried everything,even with register and no soulution. i have tv connected to my nvidia 660gtx and primary samsung monitor and when tv was off it worked great, but when i had tv on and cloned screen or dual screen, desktop icons always changed in left after quiting every game.(autoarrange was off and resolutions matched and size of aplications and other icons was on 100% on both screens)) then i go to nvidia control panel(or ATI) and adjust dual monitor settings there and i changed the source of cloned screen and now it is working. im not so good in english but you try to work something in this way,it worked for me it seems. and i tried everything before that but it works i can play any game and icons are like i left them.

ZuzDCruz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons? - Similar Threads - fix moving resizing

2. How to stop desktop icons moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop desktop icons moving: Hi there,I have an issue don't we all where my desktop icons continuously, after gaming or system restarts etc, move to the my 2nd display and have changed order etc.I have seen many threads where people have similar issues but not this particular issue.I am running a dual...
  3. How to stop desktop icons moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop desktop icons moving: Hi there,I have an issue don't we all where my desktop icons continuously, after gaming or system restarts etc, move to the my 2nd display and have changed order etc.I have seen many threads where people have similar issues but not this particular issue.I am running a dual...
  4. how do I resize the icons on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I resize the icons on my desktop?: how do I resize the icons on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-resize-the-icons-on-my-desktop/eaaf63f0-6c53-4ac8-bc86-5216a82266ec
  5. Desktop Icon Resized Itself

Desktop Icon Resized Itself: How does the recycle bin icon suddenly resize itself on the desktop? It did on my Windows tablet. How do I get it back to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-resized-itself/ab239c5e-11b9-40a7-af8a-08935f755e64
  6. Desktop Icons are Huge - How do I resize?

Desktop Icons are Huge - How do I resize?: I just did a fresh install of Windows10 and everything was good until a few minutes ago. All of a sudden I noticed my desktop icons are huge. How do I resize them back to a normal size? Thanks...
  7. How to "advanced" resize desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to "advanced" resize desktop icons?: This has always annoyed me. I have one machine that runs one software suite(two desktop apps). I want them to be large icons. Usually one of the apps will scale on its own and the other will not resize, rather just the area to select it gets larger. Usually I load a custom...
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves?: I read through a long thread from last year here: Desktop icons keep rearranging That ended about where it started: No cure. I was struck by how many people have this issue of Icons set on the desktop, which move around after restarts or other interruptions, are inconsistent...
  10. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....