Windows 10: How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

Discus and support How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a few file extensions where the 'Open with' option is not working. When I right click on these extensions I get an 'Open with' option with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by streetwolf, Sep 20, 2016.

1. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

I have a few file extensions where the 'Open with' option is not working. When I right click on these extensions I get an 'Open with' option with an arrow that just produces another 'Open with' instead of a list of other programs that can open the particular file extension.

Some example extensions are .txt .prn .jpg. Other extensions work just fine such as .ini files. Any idea how I can get back the list of alternate programs to open my extensions that aren't working correctly?

:)

streetwolf, Sep 20, 2016

2. File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Sep 20, 2016
  3. cjb_931 Win User
    cjb_931, Sep 20, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  5. Didn't work. I fired up Windows 10 under VMWare and a .txt file shows notepad and wordpad in the 'Open with' context menu. I compared the two Registries and what I saw is exactly the same between the two. Of course I could be missing where the 'Open with' programs are stored. Any other ideas?

streetwolf, Sep 20, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Selecting to open a file with an app will also add the app to the "Open with" list.

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  7. Only if things are working correctly. Here's a few things I notice:

1. When I go into 'Default Programs' and change .txt files to use another program I do get a list of other programs that I can use to open the .txt file. This list is what should appear on the 'Open with' context menu in File Manager.

2. The extensions with the 'Open with' problem also don't have 'Open' on the context menu. It should be the first entry on the list. I can still click on the file and it will open with he default program.

Got to be something in the Registry. I thought I would find under .txt in the Registry an Openwith List with wordpad and notepad. But there isn't any even on my VM Windows where 'Open with' works fine.

streetwolf, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's definitely a registy issue for them.

If you like, download and merge the .reg file below to see if it restores the default Open with items for .txt files for you.

txt_Open_with.reg

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  9. I fixed the problem. I use PDF-XChange Editor which adds stuff to the context menu. I uninstalled it and 'Open with' now workss fine.

streetwolf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu. - Similar Threads - fix 'Open with'

2. How to fix, I noticed that in the context menu the "Open PowerShell Here" option is written...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix, I noticed that in the context menu the "Open PowerShell Here" option is written...: Hello! I fresh installed windows 11 pro on my Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop and after finishing the installation, I noticed that in the context menu the "Open PowerShell Here" option is written in Arabic even though the language I chose from the installation is English US. can...
  3. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  4. Windows Context Menu Not Opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Context Menu Not Opening: Hey Anyone, WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON TASKBAR AND SELECT TASKBAR SETTING IT DOES NOT OPEN SETTING ELSE IT FLASHES COMMAND PROMPT LIKE SOMETHING WHICH JUST POPS UP AND CLOSE AND NOTHING HAPPENS... THE SAME PROBLEM ALSO OCCUR WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP AND SELECT DESKTOP...
  5. Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?: Hi there, i noticed that with time the context menues on my machines takes longer and longer to open. The effect is dependend in which folder i am on my system like the desktop, downloads or documents. So for the desktop i cant notice any slow down sub 1 second to open...
  6. Add option to context menu to open file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Add option to context menu to open file type: By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click). As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have...
  7. context menu 'open' video

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    context menu 'open' video: When i right click on a video and select open my video opens in windows media player. I would like to edit the open value in the registry so it opens in another program. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where this 'open' value would be. I have found 'open...
  8. open with notepad context menu

open with notepad context menu: Code: ;notepad [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell] @="\"notepad.exe %1\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open] @="Open &With Notepad" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command] @="notepad.exe %1"[/quote] the above dont seem to give me open with notepad in context menu unlike in win7. any...
  9. How to scroll File Explorer context menu

How to scroll File Explorer context menu: Windows 10 File Explorer has a arrow at the bottom to scroll the menu, how can the menu be scrolled in the old "normal" fashion? 48187
  10. Network map context menu (Fix Icon and context menu)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network map context menu (Fix Icon and context menu): For all those that have a blank icon in network router and the non working network map feature as it is removed from windows 8/10 (this plug and play driver bug never got corrected from microsoft, imo) here is a reg file that fixes both of the 3 problems. Just copy those...