Windows 10: How to force-eject an external drive?

Discus and support How to force-eject an external drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Avast: [img] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by battlezone, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dalchina New Member

How to force-eject an external drive?

Avast:

How to force-eject an external drive? [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 14, 2018

2. Thanks. I had no idea the Avast icon in the System Tray could be right-clicked and more features accessed. I'm terrible at finding hidden features. I will try and see if disabling Avast before trying to eject a drive.

battlezone, Feb 14, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    Not really hidden, it's long been a general design principle in Windows that a left-click selects or opens, while a right-click gives further options or controls. You can right-click on almost anything.

4. How to force-eject an external drive?

Hidden as in out of sight. After over 20 years on Mac computers, and just a bit over one month on the PC, I'm still getting used to the PC's idiosyncrasies.

battlezone, Feb 15, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Lots of those... suggest having coffee and paracetamol to hand.

dalchina, Feb 15, 2018
  6. It's not going to be a picnic!

battlezone, Feb 16, 2018
  7. If I try to shut down the computer so that I may safely remove the external drive, and if I get a pop-up that says the drive is currently in use, will that not mess up things if I shut the computer down? I'm not even sure I can shut the computer down under these conditions other than with a forced shutdown.

battlezone, Feb 24, 2018
  8. Kari Win User

You simply press WIN + R to open RUN prompt, type shutdown -s -f -t 0 and hit Enter to force Windows to shut down. No worries, no lost data.

When done, disconnect the external USB device.

9. Bree New Member
    No, shutting down the computer will first shut down all running processes, including the one that's using the drive. You won't get a pop-up.

10. I thank you both. This puts my concern to rest.

battlezone, Feb 24, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    I reckon you should experiment with disabling autorun / autoplay on external drives.

Open the Settings app and click Devices. Select AutoPlay from the left sidebar.

How to force-eject an external drive? [​IMG]

Apply the settings in the screenshot.

Run regedit then navigate to:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Here is where it gets tricky. In each location check for NoDriveTypeAutoRun in the right pane. If it's not there right click and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it NoDriveTypeAutoRun

Enter DD in hex as your value for the DWORD "NoDriveTypeAutorun" you created above. This will allow the installer CD ROMs you insert to still autorun but nothing else.

To disable autorun for ALL drives including CD ROM, enter the value of 255 decimal or FF hex.

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to force-eject an external drive? - Similar Threads - force eject external

2. Can not eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not eject external hard drive: I currently have an external hard drive attached to my computer through a front USB port. When I try to eject it with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, it says "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and...
  3. Problem Ejecting External Drive

Problem Ejecting External Drive: I've been using a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive via USB for quite a while. Recently when I go to eject the drive, I get the following pop up. Before I get scathed, I realize that I don't need to eject it via taskbar icon, but I've been doing it that way for quite a long time....
  4. External drives not ejecting properly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External drives not ejecting properly.: The title explains the point. I have a WD Elements external HDD (3TB), and in any windows 10 machine it refuses to eject properly. I don’t wanna just disconnect it without letting the drive spin down as a lot of important files and backups i have in it. In event viewer it...
  5. How do I eject an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I eject an external hard drive?: When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try and eject, it says that it cannot because it's still being used in a program. I ended up closing all my programs and windows...
  6. EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY

in Windows 10 Customization
    EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY: When I try to eject the external drive from my laptop, I get the following message: "This device is currently in use. Close any program or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I tried to clear the message by checking over and over if any program or...
  7. how eject external drive

how eject external drive: Where is "eject external drive" located and is it really necessary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-eject-external-drive/cbeb6cdd-5036-462a-b25f-7e4897b911c7
  8. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. Can not eject external hard drive!

Can not eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  10. how to eject usb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to eject usb external hard drive: how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-eject-usb-external-hard-drive/379c0bb2-2d84-4414-a1ae-5a6cae18cd8b"