Windows 10: How to force Explorer to build icon cache for a whole drive or tree?

Discus and support How to force Explorer to build icon cache for a whole drive or tree? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a huge image collection, spanning literally thousands of folders. The collection is pretty static - meaning once a file is placed in there, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tom2112, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Tom2112 Win User

How to force Explorer to build icon cache for a whole drive or tree?

I have a huge image collection, spanning literally thousands of folders. The collection is pretty static - meaning once a file is placed in there, it stays unchanged. When browsing the collection in Explorer, it takes a long time for Windows to generate the large icons (thumbnails). I have increased my icon cache from 500 to 4096, but this still isn't large enough to cover the whole collection. So I end up sitting and waiting while Explorer regenerates icons again. And every time I scroll down, I have to wait while it regenerates more icons.

My question is:
    Is there a way to force Explorer to generate all of the icons in a folder at once, rather than playing the scroll-wait-scroll-wait game?
    Also, is there a way to make Explorer keep the icons so it doesn't have to regenerate so frequently?

Thanks,
    Tom

:)

Tom2112, Aug 26, 2016

2. How do you force or allow a drive (not C: or D: ) to spin down when not in use.

I have a couple of large internal hard disks that are used exclusively for backups. These backups are done by Acronis on a schedule that may cause a backup daily or weekly. In either case, once the backup is done there is no other use for the drives and
    they could/should spin down. How can I configure the drives to spin down after XX min. of idle time yet spin up on demand? Also, how can I detect if the HDD is spinning?

ChesterCopeland, Aug 26, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How do you force or allow a drive (not C: or D: ) to spin down when not in use.

Control Panel > Power Options

BulldogXX, Aug 26, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I either close then reopen File Explorer [or Windows Explorer on Win7 and earlier] or I simply click the Name at the top of the column, or other heading, to reread how the files are listed to get the icons for the default programs to show instead of the generic ones. The problem with the view, and for the Desktop and other things, is that is a Dynamic view, constantly or frequently being redrawn. Static view would be like a picture on the wall, not changing at all.

Berton, Aug 26, 2016
Thema:

1. How to force Explorer to build icon cache for a whole drive or tree? - Similar Threads - force Explorer build

2. Start Menu refuses to build icon cache for specified pinned element

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu refuses to build icon cache for specified pinned element: [ATTACH] No matter what I do it just wont update it. Obviously such primitive operation as re-pin is useless. I went into `%appdatalocal%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\` and found cache file...
  3. 1903 Build Explore Icons

1903 Build Explore Icons: did the upgrade - big mistake - lost all my wonderful settings want to get rid of the Library and One Dive icons in Exploererererer - File Manager right click does nothing. the bazillion websites and videos on how to get rid of these in regedit and windows along with sfc...
  4. How to remove 'Network locations' from Explorer tree?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove 'Network locations' from Explorer tree?: Hi, is there any option or way to remove 'Network locations' from Explorer tree? Maybe with a registry edit [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-network-locations-from-explorer-tree/90771889-b9f8-42ff-b53f-d6791361fc0e
  5. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  6. is there any way to force explorer to rebuild thumbnail cache for a single folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there any way to force explorer to rebuild thumbnail cache for a single folder?: submitted by /u/Remote-Local [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fvvyte/is_there_any_way_to_force_explorer_to_rebuild/
  7. Icons for Drives in Explorer

Icons for Drives in Explorer: Hi folks I've just inserted a MicroSD Card into my Surface Pro 4. It shows up with an Icon depicting the Surface Pro. However, I'd like it to show the standard Windows symbol for this drive. I've tried to delete the iconcache, tried to add a new registry key, deleted the...
  8. Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree: Hello, I am in File Explorer regularly, and having to access the C drive through the My PC folder is a nuisance. My external drives ( D and E) show up at the top level of the tree, I'd really like the same for my C drive. For greater clarity, please see attached...
  9. Is TAKEOWN of a whole User tree dangerous?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is TAKEOWN of a whole User tree dangerous?: I'm waiting for delivery of physical parts to repair laptop A The user urgently needs her data on laptop B until A is fixed (or thrown away & replaced) What I did I attached via USB the System disk from A to temporary system B, where it was F: drive Then to enable...
  10. Icon Caching Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Caching Problem: Folks, I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect to work. From what I could tell Shockwave was having an argument with Windows 10. I've tried everything suggested on this...