Windows 10: How to force focus to a program

Discus and support How to force focus to a program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a desktop computer I am using as a home theater PC to play movies on my HDTV via HDMI. I've got dual monitors, the HDTV is the secondary, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

How to force focus to a program

I have a desktop computer I am using as a home theater PC to play movies on my HDTV via HDMI. I've got dual monitors, the HDTV is the secondary, the VGA PC monitor is the primary. I've got it set to login automatically the user account set up for the Kodi media player program. When started, Kodi opens full screen on the HDTV and I still have the VGA PC monitor available to do other work on the PC.

I would like to set Kodi to start automatically when the user account "Kodi" logs in, either by setting a task in task scheduler or adding it to proper "run" key in the registry. I have no problems doing that, I can get that to work.

The problem is, when Kodi starts with one of those methods, the focus does not automatically go to the Kodi program. I have to run Kodi in fullscreen windowed mode to allow the VGA PC monitor to remain available for other work. I have taskbar set to autohide. Since Kodi does not get the focus automatically when it starts, I am left with the taskbar sitting below it until I move the mouse pointer over to the HDTV screen and click in Kodi, then the task bar hides. Most of the time I never use the mouse to click in Kodi, I use a remote control app on my phone or tablet and this will not shift the focus to Kodi, so the dang taskbar stays there at the bottom.

I have a temporary workaround by using a program called KodiLauncher (or something like that), which starts with the Kodi account login and that program starts Kodi and then shifts the focus to it. But to minimize the time from boot to watching movies, I would like to bypass the third party launcher and just launch Kodi with the focus switched to it, but can't figure out the focus part of it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

:)

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Feb 8, 2016
  3. How to force a WiFi-connection to a known network using N8?

Try this

1)turn your wifi on then

2) go to SETTINGS >CONNECTIVITY>SETTINGS>NETWORK DESTINATION

3)access point n add new access point

4)it will show AUTOMATICALLY SEARCH FOR AVLBL AP

5)click yes

6) it will show your wifi access point then add ur wifi credentials and done

if this doesn't work set ur wifi priority to higher in INTERNET category

hope this will solve ur issue How to force focus to a program :)

chiragkapuriya, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

How to force focus to a program

1. How to force focus to a program - Similar Threads - force focus program

2. Program refusing to lose focus.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program refusing to lose focus.: Hello, I run a small business, we have a pc for receiving orders. We have 2 main programs running, lets say A and B. When an order is received at program A and program B is on focus, the B should normally minimize as the A comes to foreground notifying for the new order. The...
  3. Program refusing to lose focus.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program refusing to lose focus.: Hello, I run a small business, we have a pc for receiving orders. We have 2 main programs running, lets say A and B. When an order is received at program A and program B is on focus, the B should normally minimize as the A comes to foreground notifying for the new order. The...
  4. Program refusing to lose focus.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Program flashes instead of gaining Focus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program flashes instead of gaining Focus: I have some shortcut keys assigned that perform an action when presses, eg, Launch my Browser. However, when I do this, instead of my Browser gaining focus, it just flashes on the Taskbar, and I have to click it in order to see it/give it focus. Is there a setting or...
  6. How can I keep an Alt-Tabbed program in focus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I keep an Alt-Tabbed program in focus?: Hello! I have a little question regarding tab focus. I play Minecraft Windows 10 Edition, and sometimes, I want to Alt-Tab to check stuff on Discord or a browser, but doing so makes the game lose focus and when I Alt-Tab back to the game, it disconnects me from it and I have...
  7. How to tell what program is stealing your focus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to tell what program is stealing your focus?: I can’t do anything because something is stealing focus, how do I find this program? submitted by /u/purpleMoneys89 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hi5rpd/how_to_tell_what_program_is_stealing_your_focus/
  8. Taskbar: How to Disable Forced Program Page Selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar: How to Disable Forced Program Page Selection: This question pertains to the taskbar, and the feature that forces the user to select a specific tab/page within a program before switching to that program from the taskbar: Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to quickly switch between programs on the taskbar...
  9. Program game forcing resolution.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program game forcing resolution.: So, I've been having this problem for a long time and I haven't been able to find a fix for it neither do i know when it started, thus I'll go straight to the point: When I launch CS:GO it forces my resolution to 4:3 and i have to manually change it to 16:9, even with having...
  10. force uninstall a program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    force uninstall a program: I installed 5Kplayer to play dvds on a portable dvd player. It doesn't work and it won't let me uninstall. Says program is still running, but it's not. I need to force uninstall....