Windows 10: How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type

Discus and support How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; To whom may solve this galling problem: Since the inception of Win 10, to which I was almost forced to upgrade, despite being absolutely happy with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by haku, Jul 20, 2017.

1. haku Win User

How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type

To whom may solve this galling problem:

Since the inception of Win 10, to which I was almost forced to upgrade, despite being absolutely happy with Win 8, I have been confronted with several disturbing and downright annoying problems and quirks.

Some I have been able to resolve thanks to third party tweaks, other keep recurring, especially now, after the recent major Windows 10 "creator" update - with which I was also forced to comply. Will these people at MS ever learn to stop harassing users?

Be that as it may, this is the problem I have not been able to resolve, despite all efforts at changing things on every level in Settings - to name but one thing.

Whatever I do, whatever I try - principally for much used image files: jpg and suchlike, and for Adobe pdf files - Windows 10 keeps reverting to its horrid Edge app for pdf, or html etc., and for image files to its even more horrid Photos app, which seems to have been designed a decade ago.

My own preferences being of course Adobe Reader for pdf and all related files / and IrfanView 34 or 64 for most image files.

So, how can I stop Windows 10 taking over my preferences, throwing them under the bus, and reverting to its own clunky apps?

Again, I tried every possibility in Settings for linking files to apps and vice-versa: nothing doing.

Before the latest major update, I had found a third party tweak, (Windows10-KB917607-x64), which worked perfectly for a time both with image and pdf files, then, after an interim Win update, the image tweak ceased to work, but pdf was still linked to Adobe Reader. But now, after that lengthy "creator" update, the tweak does not have any effect any more either. What a pain!
    Somehow, I managed to keep Edge away with a small third party tweak called "Edge Block", but that's a rather drastic (if reversible) measure, occasioning error messages, and obliging the user to launch a file with "Open With".

So, if any other knowledgeable user knows how to get me out of that conundrum, i.e., just let me double click on any type of file and having it open with any type of app I have chosen - bypassing all Windows' choices in other words, I will be most grateful.

As a small ancillary remark, which needs not to be answered since I found a ready solution: at the initial Win 10 update, it got rid of a few apps it pretended not to be compatible with (a ridiculous assumption in my case, because I can arrange for emulating previous windows) and that without asking me whether I agreed or not (in one case I had even to retrieve a program I use often from an old computer of mine!) And of course, it got also rid, without any explanation or reason whatsoever of my trusted Windows Solitaire (aka Patience), which can fortunately be retrieved and installed via a third party link.

To add insult to injury, despite my Windows' language being Dutch, all so-called apps from Windows which come with Windows 10 are in French!!! No way to change that. And phone calls to MS here in Brussels result in unearthly mumbles and suggestion to reinstall - hold your seats - the whole hard disk!!!

It's to drive someone to despair. If I didn't despise Apple even more, I would have changed to that even more "I know what's good for you idiotic user" operating system since long. What a mess.

But if there is someone out there who can help me out, I will virtually kiss her or his hands repeatedly *chuckle

Thanks for reading so far.

:)

2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jul 20, 2017
  3. History says I already have Windows 8.1 Update (KB 2919355) installed; yet Win Update Keeps Prompting me to install it and when I try it won't.

How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type [​IMG]

The important update to get Win 10 and to secure the "Upgrade Reservation for it" for 8.1 is to install KB 2919355 according to everything I've read about "making a reservation" or getting the Win 10 icon in the notification area.

This question covers the upgrade reservation whose icon I have not been able to secure even though I installed KB 2919355 over two months ago, and it keeps telling me I need to install it. That doesn't surprise me; I have a whole collection of error messages,
    etc. from Redmond MSFT that make no sense over the last 25 years. They happen.

Windows Update says ***that update*** was installed successfully back in May of 2015.

And yes I have genuine Windows on this box and all my boxes.

Further when I have tried to use the Insider Program to update this 8.1 PC to a Windows 10 build, I get bounced and the error message (thank you Redmond MSFT for this as well) says you cannot run Windows 8.1 on this PC--it says nothing about Windows 10
    which is lazy and sloppy on the part of a company I respect--MSFT.

I beg to differ with MSFT's message to me since I have been running Windows 8 for about 3 years whenever the Beta was available on this very PC, and the day 8.1 was available I was able to upgrade to it on this PC with no problem whatsoever.

If there is a MSFT engineer willing to take a swing at these questions meaningfully, I'd appreciate it since they are participating on these threads.

Windows Update still says I need to install it and of course this is contradictory but I've been watching error messages from MSFT that make no sense frequently for 25 years.

So why is this happening? How often does Windows Update tell you that you need a major update that is critical to reserve a new OS when it tells you at the same time in Update history that you already have it?

Also if you have been updating via the Windows Insider program (on another PC--a tablet) and you are running Build 10166 are you supposed to have that icon? Or will you automatically be given the opportunity to install Windows 10 RTM on the big day July
    29? Should you have an icon showing in order to get it? And will it be available by the upgrade channel or via a .iso.

My experience remains that as long as you have 7.5 GB of free space, you can always update to the next build. It never has required anywhere from 15-20GB that you often see people post here. Anything less and you'll waste a lot of time trying. But 7.5
    GB even though it is a slow process relative to what you'd expect in the era of Windows 10 and compatred with any other OS setups, you won't have a problem at all getting it in--you just have to be patient. I'm sure that if you have the fastest SSD in the
    world, that might speed things up.

Thanks for help and time in advance.

Win 8 to 10, Jul 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I think your question is something like "How do I prevent my default program associations changing?"
    I can't answer that directly, but those who use Adobe (search the forum) have reported problems much more frequently than any others - at least that's my impression.
    E.g.
    Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader. - Windows 10 Forums

Here on line URLs to pdf's were reported as opening in Edge if Edge was the browser in use, although the pdf default was Adobe. Is that your case?
    How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader??? - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

First, here's how to set them - I assume you know that, and that you can't set program associations from within a program.
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Second, even though you've set associations you may find that after installing a program which has registered itself as being able to handle a particular file type, you will be asked whether you want to continue to use the associated program again. This can be annoying, but I suppose is meant to prompt you that you have the option of changing to the program you've just installed.

Third, a couple of older version programs (Winzip was one) were reported a long time back as causing defaults to be lost or changed on restarting.

There have been other threads on this topic, but none I've noticed for a while, but could have missed some.

My personal experience? Defaults are normally stable. A couple of times a year I may find a change to some multimedia file type or pdf has occurred, without me being able to work out why. However, I don't use Adobe.

You may find this of interest:
    Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Do you suffer from a string of 'An app default was reset...' notifications?

Has Windows 10 reset your default apps back to Microsoft stock? Setting up Windows 10 Pro

The solution is to work out which app is using deprecated methods and triggers the reset, then look for the latest update which should be compatible with Windows 10. In your case it is almost certainly Infranview. In the thread linked to above updating Infranview solved all default resets. The others that get reset (like your Adobe, and for that thread Firefox) are just collateral damage when Infranview triggered the reset.

6. Bree New Member
    An 'explanation' (of sorts)...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...re-deprecation

...annoying! I use Sol.exe copied from and old Windows XP box (you'll need the cards.dll too). That version never gets removed (too old to be noticed). *Smile

7. haku Win User
    Hi Dalchina and Bree,

Thanks for the speedy reaction.

Actually, I had tried out several of the proposed tweaks - including the registry corrections - to no avail.

However, what pdf Adobe is concerned, the proposal to set Adobe Reader within the program as the default handler (in Settings/General), seems to do the trick. At least for the moment. Does seem to stick. We will see tomorrow after a reboot if luck still holds.

Having image files stick to the chosen program seems a more problematic situation. Got the very latest version of Irfanview, so updating makes no sense. So, I guess that, for the moment, I will have to right click and "open with" to get to my preferred app.

Why oh why must it all be so complicated and convoluted. Imagine, the update even managed to do away with my defaults for printing. Result: several programs did not launch properly because they needed a default printer.

And that is only the tip of the Microsoft iceberg of Win 10 annoyances.

Thanks again! Bye!

8. dalchina New Member

Adobe seems to be the exception that proves (tests) the rule that defaults aren't managed from within programs (a security 'feature').

Partly managing defaults is a learning curve, as with anything new, partly once there are no conflicts (3rd party programs) with the system, it's stable. But I agree, more have stumbled in this area than with past OS's.

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  9. haku Win User
    Thanks again for the prompt reply.
    The bad news: Setting Adobe Reader as pdf handler within that program's General Options only works during a session. After a boot or reboot, the "Anniversary" update Win 10 reverts to its Edge shenanigans. Actually it reverts after a refresh, too.

No learning curve, here. A proper scandal. Coz it's obvious that Microsoft want to ram Edge as a kind of browser down the users' throats in order to collect hits and their financial rewards in future. I know, Apple is even worse, but at least they admit they are a quasi dictatorial system. Sometimes one would wish the days of Fortran, Cobol and even Pascal were here again. What unconscionable misbehaviour!That's what the so-called European commission commissars should go after, not harassing Google like they do. But they barely know how to find a Enter key there.

But I am confident that somehow, somewhere at this wonderful forum will come up with a general solution to all these annoyances. They always do.

Meanwhile I'll have to live with that digital harassment, I guess.

Thanks again. I'll mark the thing as "solved" even if it isn't.

10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  11. haku Win User
    Hi again Dalchina!

Neither solutions works. I thought for a moment that the nifty "Default Programs Editor" would do the trick, but no - whatever way I apply it (even doing the registry changes as an option). This problem is simply obstinate.

I will now go over to a drastic, disagreeable measure. I know someone high up at Microsoft in Brussels and will call him. But he'll probably refer me to one of their technicians with a free ticket, and the result will be, as always with Microsoft: reinstall your HD. That's the best they can usually come up with when they have no solution.

But I also carry the biggest possible stick over here in tiny Belgium: the linguistic stick. Indeed, for whatever reason, all Microsoft "free" apps coming with Windows 10 are in French - and that while my OS is configured for Dutch. This is politically such a hot topic over here, that I can apply untold pressure - or rather have it applied by someone higher up.

It saddens me to have to do this to that Microsoft person, but if they can't learn the decent way, they'll have to learn it the hard way. This is too much of a harassment and loss of precious work time.

I fear we'll stay otherwise stuck in a vicious circle - judging from the number of complaints we now find on Internet about this matter (not the Dutch-French problem, but those default apps).

Such arrogance is unworthy of a big company.

12. Bree New Member
    Do you get notifications like "an app caused a problem with the default app setting for pdf files so it was reset to MS edge"? If so, as explained earlier, this is triggered by another app that uses deprecated methods of setting default associations.

We have eliminated Infranview as the culprit, so some detective work would be needed. These notifications can occur quite a few seconds after the guilty app was used. It's not generally opening such an app that causes the problem, more often it is the Open or 'Save as' dialog that is the trigger (it may well check on the defaults when you use it). When it happens, ask what actions you recently took that may be the cause, then look for updates for that app.

Thema:

1. How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type - Similar Threads - force stick apps

2. Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type": When I try to find the .jar extension so I can change its default app, it is literally not there. I've seen screenshots, and I do everything right, yet the .jar extension isn't even there for me....
  3. how to change .jar to java in choose defualt apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change .jar to java in choose defualt apps by file type: hello i went to Settings, Apps, Default apps, then Scrolled down to Choose default apps by file type. then i Scrolled down to .jar and pressed on it to change it to java but java didn't appear as one of the apps, i checked and used every method and i have java downloaded,...
  4. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  5. [Setting] Choose defal apps by file type Suggestion

[Setting] Choose defal apps by file type Suggestion: Hello, When I change a default apps by file type: .txt from Notepad to VSCode. I must be scroll until I find the .txt. And with the many hundreds of file type. It takes time to scroll until find .txt. After all, I can change the default app. If we have an search box for...
  6. Cannot choose another app for unknown file types

Cannot choose another app for unknown file types: Trying to use Houdini network server HQueue. I think It's interface needs a browser . Windows 10 showing up this popup and looking for a "localhost" file type. Is there any method to add a "choose another app" option so I can choose a browser. Thanks [ATTACH]...
  7. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  8. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...
  9. choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(: Hi Win 10 home - just purchased on ASUS computer (don't know how to determine "build" ) New to win 10 and I really Hate that microsoft forces downloads!!! Has anyone been able to restore the pick and choose function of "the good old days" ? It is not only annoying...