Windows 10: How to FTP from Windows 10?

Discus and support How to FTP from Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not sure whether this is the most appropriate forum, but I hope that the moderators will move it if there's a better one. I have tried to access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bobkn, Oct 3, 2015.

1. bobkn Win User

How to FTP from Windows 10?

I'm not sure whether this is the most appropriate forum, but I hope that the moderators will move it if there's a better one.

I have tried to access FTP sites from the Edge and IE11 browsers. No go.

I have also tried from a command line window (with admin rights). ftp does not connect, and ping times out. (I have added both to the Windows Firewall exceptions).

(Just for fun, I did a "ping localhost". Response time was less than 1 ms.)

I don't really know what I'm doing here. I don't recall when I last FTPed something, but it may have been when XP ruled the Earth. Back in the innocent days, when a PC could be connected to the Net without a firewall and expect not to be turned into a zombie within minutes.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

:)

bobkn, Oct 3, 2015
  2. JohnOra Win User

Antimalware scanning ftp file transfers between local servers

I run Secure Shell Client for ftp and ssh. Sometimes I want to ftp files from my Windows 10 PC to my LINUX server using ftp. When I try and do this, Windows 10 Antimalware kicks in and starts scanning the file I am trying to ftp. This makes an ftp
    process that should take a couple of minute take 30 minutes. How do I stop this service from scanning these transfers. It doesn't make sense that it would do this within the same network.

JohnOra, Oct 3, 2015
  3. Ricke 59 Win User
    Added FTP network place, can't delete file

With Win 10, I've added a network place for ftp use, using Windows explorer.

Accessing the ftp site works fine

Copying files to the ftp site works fine

Deleting file on the ftp site will not work.

How can I make this work?

Would be nice not having to use other ftp-client.

Ricke 59, Oct 3, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

This is working just fine for me in Edge, Firefox, and File Explorer:
    L: ftp://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/debian-cd/

It does not require a username/password, so don't know if that is the problem or not.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    The mention of Debian in that link means a version of Linux.

I don't worry about the Browser used for using File Transfer Protocol to work with my Domain, have used Globalscape's CuteFTP for more than 15 years. There's a free FTP program available from Free FTP download | FTP software. A couple of file management programs have FTP capability, Power Desk and Total Commander [both paid for].

Berton, Oct 3, 2015
  6. In addition to NavyLCDR's suggestions, I recommend FileZilla. In any case you should try one free third-party ftp client to make sure you can ftp from your copy of Windows. Then you can work on the issue with the native app.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 3, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I wasn't suggesting anything. I was just posting that I am not having any problems with FTP with Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  8. How to FTP from Windows 10?

Just springboarding off your post.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 3, 2015
  9. Well, I haven't tried FTP with the new edge browser or IE for that matter. I agree with Berton, I use Cute FTP for all of my FTP needs and it works beautifully I might add.

play2mefish, Oct 3, 2015
  10. Well, I just tried from a cmd prompt and it worked fine for me. However, I do have the Enterprise version of Windows 10 installed but I would think that FTP would be available in all versions.

play2mefish, Oct 3, 2015
  11. bro67 Win User
    FTP capabilities have always been available for all versions of Windows as TFTP. I use WinSCP with Putty for FTP & SFTP connections to my NAS.

bro67, Oct 3, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion.

It's no go from Edge, IE11, or the command prompt FTP application.

I haven't tried any third party FTP applications, but I'm fairly confident that I can predict the result. (Wouldn't work.)

I still guess that it's a firewall issue. Whether it's due to Windows, my Linksys wireless router (hardwired to my primary PC), or the Comcast Arris modem, I can't guess.

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I'm sorry my post was misleading. I did not mean to be suggesting downloading Linux or anything else How to FTP from Windows 10? :) I just meant to say that I could FTP with Windows 10. I think your problem is more than likely a firewall setting somewhere. The only firewall, antivirus, and/or malware protection I run is Windows 10 built in.

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2015
  14. Why don't you contact Comcast and start there. Comcast will isolate the problem for you even if the fix does not turn out to be Comcast's responsibility.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 4, 2015
  15. bobkn Win User
    I just experimented with the security setting on my modem.

It was set to "High Security". Setting it to "Minimum" allowed Ping and FTP to run.

I'll have to study to see what I can tolerate. Maybe I don't need anything special there, because all traffic to the modem passes through a Linksys router.

Not the sort of thing I know anything about. I get the impression that it's not commonly played with by most here.

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

1. How to FTP from Windows 10? - Similar Threads - FTP

2. FTP installed as part of IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not seem to support TLS 1.3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FTP installed as part of IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not seem to support TLS 1.3: Hi, I have upgraded several servers to Windows Server 2022, and installed some from scratch.For all it seems as if the FTP service installed as part of the IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not support TLS 1.3.The maximum version I can get working is TLS 1.2.Do anyone know if,...
  3. FTP installed as part of IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not seem to support TLS 1.3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FTP installed as part of IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not seem to support TLS 1.3: Hi, I have upgraded several servers to Windows Server 2022, and installed some from scratch.For all it seems as if the FTP service installed as part of the IIS on Windows Server 2022 does not support TLS 1.3.The maximum version I can get working is TLS 1.2.Do anyone know if,...
  4. Why won't windows 11 let me change default ftp to my ftp program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't windows 11 let me change default ftp to my ftp program: I use WinSCP as my default ftp handler but when I try to set it as default in Settings>Default Apps it will only allow me to use MS Edge. How can I fix this?...
  5. Why won't windows 11 let me change default ftp to my ftp program

Why won't windows 11 let me change default ftp to my ftp program: I use WinSCP as my default ftp handler but when I try to set it as default in Settings>Default Apps it will only allow me to use MS Edge. How can I fix this?...
  6. Problem opening video files from external hard drive shared via FTP network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem opening video files from external hard drive shared via FTP network: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...
  7. Problem opening video files from external hard drive shared via FTP network

Problem opening video files from external hard drive shared via FTP network: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...
  8. Problem opening video files from external hard drive shared via FTP network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Problem opening vide files from external hard drive shared via FTP network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem opening vide files from external hard drive shared via FTP network: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...
  10. Problem opening vide files from external hard drive shared via FTP network

Problem opening vide files from external hard drive shared via FTP network: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...