Windows 10: How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from?

Discus and support How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to figure out a free safe accurate way to completely back up a Windows 10 hard drive using a CD or DVD without having to boot into the OS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by davewin, Mar 6, 2018.

1. davewin Win User

How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from?

I'm trying to figure out a free safe accurate way to completely back up a Windows 10 hard drive using a CD or DVD without having to boot into the OS. Is anyone aware of the best ways to do this?

Basically if I wipe the drive, I want to be able to completely restore it.

:)

davewin, Mar 6, 2018
  2. Harish KR Win User

How do I get my Windows 10 OS in my dying hard drive transferred to a new Hard drive?

I have a Dell inspiron 5437 with windows 10 Home(preinstalled with windows 8.1 by OEM).

The problem now is my dying Hard drive. I think i can squeeze some 2-3 boots and get some backup files before it is fully dead. Now How can I get the OS to be activated when I replace my dying Hard drive with a new one?

Please Help me as I do not want to lose my lisenced Windows 10 OS. Also Please be specific in the answer that I hope shall be getting before the death of my Hard drive.

Harish KR, Mar 6, 2018
  3. windows reinstall on new hard drive

how can I reinstall windows 10 on a hard drive that has no boot freature. Believe my hard drive is toast. I have a spare installed but there is no bootmgr. I do not have backup software as my laptop was upgraded from windows 7. CAN I CREATE A BOOTABLE
    WINDOWS 10 DISK THAT CAN BE INSTALLED ON A SECONDARY HARD DRIVE?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

rayandjudyStewart, Mar 6, 2018
  4. How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from?

Josey Wales, Mar 6, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    Well, you have to BOOT to some OS to get anything like that done. It doesn't have to be HDD, a BOOT-able CD or USB with some OS and appropriate program can be made. Macrium Reflect can make such CD/USB or you could make it with some Linux distro.
    Needless to say that you have to use same program you made the backup with to restore it.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Writing to DVD is going to be a problem as you may be backing up 33 gig+ you need a hard drive or a USB drive

Samuria, Mar 7, 2018
  7. davewin Win User
    Let me clarify because I think some wrong assumptions are being made:

I don't want to back up _to_ CD or DVD, I want to backup the drive _using_ a CD or DVD (as opposed to a USB drive, which can be compromised)... This of course means I need to boot from the disc with an OS that can make and restore the backup.

I need something free, safe, and accurate; if Macrium Reflect is it, great. However, if there's caveats like I need to purchase a licence to restore the drive, or there's "watermarks" on files or other kinds of tampering or blocks, then that's not feasible.

I've used SystemRescueCD partimage in the past for Windows XP, but I get warnings now that ntfs-3g isn't compatible with Windows 10 (and 7), so I'm just posting here before going down the long winding road again of researching and trying out what will ACTUALLY feasibly work 100% for full backup and restore with a Windows 10 drive.

davewin, Mar 7, 2018
  8. Clintlgm Win User

*Ditto Download Macrium Reflect Free from Macrium Reflect direct I would add that backing up to a USB or eSATA External hard drive is quite safe nothing can attack it if it's not plugged in and turned on. The USB recovery thumb drive is simple and also safe since you load it from the BIOS not windows. With the current MR Ver 7, your backups are protected and can't be altered The Guardian feature protects them and can only be removed from within MR. The Free version will restore as well as back up no differently than the Paid for version. You have more features and setting with the paid version which is well worth the cost for the security it provides.

Clintlgm, Mar 7, 2018
  9. Word Man Win User
    None of that with Macrium Reflect Free, only limitation on some advanced features and can't do incrementals, only full and differential. Go for it.

Word Man, Mar 7, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    None of caveats like that. You install MR free, make rescue disk/USB (it's in MR menu) and you can make a full or partial disk image on any media it fits in. It's full backup in one .mrimg file which you can copy or transfer anywhere. It's typically about 75 - 80% of disk space on original disk you are backing up. Once it's restored, it's exactly same as it was before imaging. No more no less including same partitions.
    As long as MR is installed .mrimg file can be mounted as virtual disk and files in it perused or copied from.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Mar 7, 2018
  12. davewin Win User
    Again, I was talking about _using_ USB as the back up controller, not as the destination (which is why I mentioned it with CD and DVD when I clarified that's not what I'm trying to back up _to_).

I will have to use a USB external hard drive to back up _to_, but I don't want to use a USB thumb drive as the backup "controller" because even before booting to Windows, USB port firmware can be modified by the person who originally had the computer and install a virus on an operating system on the USB... I'm less concerned about it going to the backup drive because it's not going to ever boot any OS.

davewin, Mar 7, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

Methinks you are asking for too much. Every computer has to have a running OS and that' on the rescue USB or disk together with MR program to restore image with. If modifying is your concern, you can make it on a closed session CD or write protected USB.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Sounds like Kyhi's rescue disk would fit the bill. You'd probably need the x86 or x64 ISO to match the system you want to work on. It includes Macrium amongst (many) other tools.

TenForums | Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

15. RolandJS Win User
    I have both USB and DVD Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows boots because sometimes one or the other will not boot; of course I can remake the boot stick or boot DVD later -- after the OS restore is done.

RolandJS, Mar 7, 2018
Thema:

1. How to fully backup Windows 10 hard drive without having to boot from? - Similar Threads - fully backup hard

2. Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive: I had to send my laptop to get repaired, so I backed up my laptop onto an external hard drive. I have gotten my laptop back, and as expected, everything is gone. I am trying to restore from my backup, but it does not seem to be working. I created the backup with Windows 10,...
  3. Windows 10 will not load from SSD without hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 will not load from SSD without hard drive: Hello, Recently I installed a SSD and was able to use both it and a hard drive simultaneously, with the SSD acting as the boot drive. Yesterday when I turned on my PC Windows failed to stat and the screen advised to restore Windows, which led tot he loss of my files etc....
  4. Fully wiped hard drive still trying to boot windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fully wiped hard drive still trying to boot windows.: I recently wiped a 1 tb laptop hard drive. In Windows Disk Management it shows that all partitions are 100% free, when I search through the hard drive no files are shown either. I installed the drive back into my laptop and I expected it to boot to bios but instead it tried...
  5. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  6. How to Boot into a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Boot into a hard drive: Hi, So I installed windows on a hard drive, I just don't know how to boot into that hard drive. I went into boot options, I tried every single option and it just says, "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY." I tried...
  7. How to Fully Backup Window 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Fully Backup Window 10?: Someone who knows how to back up windows10, I recently reinstalled windows10 but with lots of programs and apps, it would be great if you could share me how to install/backup windows10 with personal apps and programs, Setting. something like image backup.. because i don't...
  8. Can't clear fully the hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't clear fully the hard drive: As you can see, my sister's laptop is not cleaning fully. Drive C, before two years ago started to signal that there is no much storage left. For no reason. She used to work on Archicad and 3D Max. I checked, they all totally 50GB or something. Also, it is not possible the...
  9. OS drive crashed without a backup/boot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OS drive crashed without a backup/boot: Hi, my Wife's OS SSD drive crashed and appears to be dead. I've put it in a different computer without any success. She can't find or didn't have a recovery drive and we don't know where the Win10 install USB drive is for her computer. I have one for mine but the product...
  10. Fast Boot without lock hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Boot without lock hard drive: Can someone tell me how to make Fast Boot enabled on dual boot machine, with selection to not lock hard drive, since I would like to make it possible to have screen with dual boot options on every start up. Now, If I select Fast Boot enabled, it locks hard drive and there is...