Windows 10: How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

Discus and support How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello guys. I followed this guide to gain access for WindowsApps folder, and it worked. Now, I changed default drive for WindowsApps, to install Gears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Siegfriedm, Mar 1, 2016.

1. How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

Hello guys. I followed this guide to gain access for WindowsApps folder, and it worked.
    Now, I changed default drive for WindowsApps, to install Gears of War and Quantum Break(in future) in a larger drive. But the method to gain access to the WindowsApps folder, seem to not work if the drive isn't C, the default one.

:)

Siegfriedm, Mar 1, 2016
  2. thum4 Win User

What is 'windows apps' hidden folder and why can't I access it?

For some reason my 'WindowsApps folder is on my D drive with all my data. I was accessing my 'User' folder & somehow managed to move it into 'WindowsApps' folder. (don't ask). I can see the 'Users' folder there but am denied access. Have tried accessing
    the 'WindowsApps' folder as per 'Gain access to to the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps query, (with appropriate modification) but to no avail. Cmd prompt gives

'D:\WindowsApps\Users: Bad Data.

Successfully processed 1files; Failed processing 1 files.

All my data, photos & audio is in the 'User' folder so badly need access.

thum4, Mar 1, 2016
  3. WindowsApps Folder

Hey, how are you doing.

I've got a problem, I had a file of passwords compressed in RAR format that I was hiding under WindowsApps folder. And then one day I was unable to access that folder. It was something along the lines. They are corrupted / This user doesn't have the access
    to these files anymore.

So I was fidling around under the "Advanced Security Settings for Windows Apps" to gain the full control again.

And also clicked : Replace owner on subconteiners and objects.

And now I can open the the WindowsApps folder, but it just shows as empty.

Please Help.

MikeMaroni1, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Hydranix Win User

How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

Be careful changing permissions of system directories and files. You probably shouldn't unless you really know what you're doing and know how to reverse any changes you've made. Recursive permission modifications are very indiscriminate. You can easily find yourself with a non-functional OS which is beyond your ability to repair. *Smile

Now changing permission on your own files (files folders Windows does not create itself) is totally ok and encouraged to learn how NTFS permissions work.

Anyway onto your issue. Changing permissions works for any NTFS filesystem. Are you using NTFS on the partition which you're trying to install your games to?

Hydranix, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Yes, is a ntfs partition. It's same SSD where is C.

Siegfriedm, Mar 2, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    With Microsoft seemingly starting to take their store more seriously now and starting to include proper games in the Windows Store, one of the things I've wondered about is the game file management. SSD's in larger sizes are still quite pricy and re-downloading huge game files when buying a new computer really isn't going to be any fun at all. So I think a lot of people will want to do the same as you and store their games on a non-system drive. But it sounds a bit more tricky with Windows apps/games than it is with Steam's steamapps folder for example, due to them being more locked down.

As you mentioned, to choose a drive that future games are saved to go to Start > Settings > System > Storage and choose the drive that 'New Apps' are saved to. This will mean future apps/games will then be stored there.

But for games that you've already installed and want to move to another drive as well, I wonder whether the following method will work, as I agree with the other poster that changing file/folder permissions isn't an ideal solution.

Go to Start > Settings > System > Storage > [Drive where they are stored] > Apps & Games > Click the game and then choose 'Move'.

How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C? [​IMG]

In the above screenshot the 'Move' button is greyed out, but it's just an example. I don't have any Windows Store games installed to try, but does this give you the option to move your games to your other drive?

ARC1020, Mar 2, 2016
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    I apologise, I've just re-read your post and realised that I misunderstood what you were asking.

With regards to your question, in the past I was also unable to gain permissions to the Apps folder after creating it on another drive. For me I decided that it would be quicker to move all the data off the drive, format it to get rid of the Apps folder, then put the data back on the drive. It's a bit overkill, but once you move the apps folder to another drive, the Apps folder Windows creates is rather persistent and a nightmare to get rid of.

ARC1020, Mar 2, 2016
  8. How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

Don't worry. You explained an useful thing.
    Anyway, it's really weird that just items on C can be allowed to access.

Siegfriedm, Mar 2, 2016
  9. Mikhoul Win User
    Mikhoul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

1. How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C? - Similar Threads - gain access WindowsApps

2. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  3. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  4. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing the WindowsApp folder: As the title states, I am trying to access the WindowsApp folder. However none of what I've found online has helped me acess it. I've tried changing owners, but I have failed. My PC is an HP Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Thanks for all of the help!...
  5. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing the WindowsApp folder: As the title states, I am trying to access the WindowsApp folder. However none of what I've found online has helped me acess it. I've tried changing owners, but I have failed. My PC is an HP Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Thanks for all of the help!...
  6. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Cannot gain access to C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot gain access to C drive: So I went to properties on my disk drive and clicked security, I messed around with the permissions as I was trying to do something but after I went back on it, there is only 1 user compared to my other drive which has 4. I am only able to read on my drive and I've tried the...
  8. How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?: I want to install mods in my kingdom come copy, but I cant as it throws error 0x8000FFFF, hence not allowing my to do shit. I need to create folders, replace files and stuff. I could copy the files, but achievements are somewhat more important submitted by /u/iiTheBeast...
  9. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?: Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in...
  10. How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?: I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account user name. This is what I'm selecting as owner. The computer is not transferring access to the user im selecting. I want...