Windows 10: How to get back highlighted active windows?

Discus and support How to get back highlighted active windows? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Some of the Windows 10 GUI changes ARE SO STUPID. E.g.: why is there no more clear distinction between the currently active window (the one that has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mmo, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

How to get back highlighted active windows?

Some of the Windows 10 GUI changes ARE SO STUPID. E.g.: why is there no more clear distinction between the currently active window (the one that has keyboard focus) and the others? Previous versions highlighted the active windows by giving its border and title bar a distinct color. Not so in Windows 10! I am constantly asking myself which window is the currently active now.

Is there any way to get the mentioned behavior back?

M.

:)

2. How do I get highlighted items to remain on selected item?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

Please answer the below questions:

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?
    • Does this happens when you are in any folder?
    • Does this happens with all file formats?

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2: Clean boot.

I request you to place the computer in Clean boot and check if it helps.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.
    You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Follow the link to place your computer in Clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: To start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the link above.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Feb 27, 2016
  3. RegUK48 Win User
    How do I get highlighted items to remain on selected item?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have W10 and your message stated W8 etc.

Not sure so have not tried the suggested corrections yet.

I am nervous to 'try' anything in case it all goes wrong.

I am waiting for my grandson (who is far more computer literate than me) to follow your instructions.

RegUK48, Feb 27, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Inactive Title Bar Color - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Edwin, Feb 28, 2016
Thema:

1. How to get back highlighted active windows? - Similar Threads - highlighted active

2. Open Taskbar Icons Only Highlighting When Active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open Taskbar Icons Only Highlighting When Active: Hello,Apologies if the wording of my initial question is a bit confusing. Essentially, if I open an app, it will show up on my taskbar as normal. But instead of all of my currently open apps being highlighted, only the one that's "active" or I'm currently using is...
  3. Open Taskbar Icons Only Highlighting When Active

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Taskbar Icons Only Highlighting When Active: Hello,Apologies if the wording of my initial question is a bit confusing. Essentially, if I open an app, it will show up on my taskbar as normal. But instead of all of my currently open apps being highlighted, only the one that's "active" or I'm currently using is...
  4. Open Taskbar Icons Only Highlighting When Active

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar: This is the icon highlight color for an app on Windows 10, vs Windows 11:The entire point of this feature is for apps to flash when they want to get the user's attention from their peripheral vision, and I rely on this functionality heavily so I don't miss important things...
  6. Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar

Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar: This is the icon highlight color for an app on Windows 10, vs Windows 11:The entire point of this feature is for apps to flash when they want to get the user's attention from their peripheral vision, and I rely on this functionality heavily so I don't miss important things...
  7. Onscreen Keyboard layout with key highlight activate/deactivate function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onscreen Keyboard layout with key highlight activate/deactivate function: Hi,I have installed windows 10. I would like to have on my pc a keyboard layout with the key to activate or deactivate the key highlight, to avoid that I see the keys I press, on the screen. I know that these layouts exist but I don't know how to do it. Thanks...
  8. Onscreen Keyboard layout with key highlight activate/deactivate function

Onscreen Keyboard layout with key highlight activate/deactivate function: Hi,I have installed windows 10. I would like to have on my pc a keyboard layout with the key to activate or deactivate the key highlight, to avoid that I see the keys I press, on the screen. I know that these layouts exist but I don't know how to do it. Thanks...
  9. Onscreen Keyboard layout with key highlight activate/deactivate function

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Different brightness for active tabs highlighting the tab

Different brightness for active tabs highlighting the tab: Hi,I would appreciate any help solving this issue.Every time I am splitting my screen and clicking on a certain tab the other tabs, including my Home Screen is dimming while the “active” tab is in full brightness.Does anyone knows how to change this?...