Windows 10: How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

Discus and support How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tasselfoot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive, which has thousands of films... most are in folders, but some are just files.

I searched here and elsewhere, but did not find any answers specifically for Win10. I also tried Xplorer2 and tried to sort by 8.3 Name, but that still did not work. My ideal solution would not include 3rd party software.

I'm open to modifying system files if need be, I just do not have the technical skills to do it without a tutorial.

All assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

:)

Tasselfoot, Jul 14, 2017

2. File explorer - sorting folders and files

No, there is no way to "only sort the folders".

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 14, 2017
  3. gmopro Win User
    File explorer - sorting folders and files

I want to sort my folders and files a certain way and cant seem to do it with your product.

So i want to sort first the folders and have them up top. I can do this by clicking Type column at top.

But then i want to sort those by Date Modified. When i do that, it sorts everything by Date modified not just the folders.

this puts the Excel files up top. I dont want that. I want to first sort on type and then subsort on Date Modified. WHy cant i do that? or how can i do that?? Looks like it is just a single sort functionality here.

gmopro, Jul 14, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

Hello, I have some folders that I customize in order for best appearance whenever I'm working in there. Here's one of the examples that I have. There are certain Unicode characters that are invisible and let you re-organize the way you want. Yet one rule is that folders will always be on top, and then the files are listed under the folders.

Yet one big thing is that you have to rename your files and add those "invisible" Unicode characters to your file names / folder names.

How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together? [​IMG]

pepanee, Jul 15, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    Actually, the picture I posted above barely shows what I meant, lol. Here's a better example of what I'm talking about. The files in this folder are sorted by name. So you can see that these "invisible" characters can let you sort file names the way you want them. I renamed all those files by adding the invisible characters.

*But once again, I don't think you want to rename your files and add those "invisible" characters, right?

pepanee, Jul 15, 2017
  6. Unfortunately, no. That is not what I'm looking to to. I'd like for File Explorer to behave like Mac's Finder. Such as:

Tasselfoot, Jul 15, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I see the same in my MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra [the latest] but what Windows does [Folders then files] is pretty much a hold-over from DOS days with Win3.x running on it. [Think pre-Windows 95 (1995).] Since Folders normally don't use extensions [although that could be done] that method of sorting by Type doesn't work.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

1. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together? - Similar Threads - File Explorer sort

2. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect: I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected....
  3. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect: I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected....
  4. How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric: I would like to sort files and folders together. I have a collection of movies ripped from my DVD collection and some are in folders with extra files like subtitles or extras and some are simply mkv files. I would like to sort them all alphabetically. IE: A.file...
  5. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  6. Sort files and folders together

Sort files and folders together: I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example). So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from years ago about people trying to achieve the same stuff in Windows Explorer. Examples:...
  7. Can files AND folders be sorted together by Date Created?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can files AND folders be sorted together by Date Created?: https://www.loom.com/share/054ec4604988411896c7a0559bc2f3ca video to help illustrate my question. I asked this I think here also before, on why it was like that, a user said it is just really like that (folders are separated). I want to know though if there's something I...
  8. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  9. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer sort files and folders together

2. windows 10 file explorer sort file and folder together