Windows 10: How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

Discus and support How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 26, 2016.

1. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share; another for continuous access to a public share. I just found out that Windows does not allow this without some game-playing.

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server? [​IMG]

I've seen 2 circumventions. For one of the connections:

• use the server's IP address, or
    • create another DSN name for the server and refer to that other name.

#1 is not a good solution unless I give a static IP addr to the server. I could do that, but I'd rather not.

I don't know how to do #2. Somehow put a CNAME record in my routers DNS server? Get the server to supply multiple DNS names? Dynamically add a record to Windows' etc\hosts file by a script?

Does anyone have experience with this?

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 26, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Start-up Impact "not measured" in Task Manager

I have "NA"; "program"; "Nvidia server.." are in not measured..

How can I get rid of that?

I used multiple programs.. Jet Clean (for registry cleanup); Rebooting; troubleshooting... nothing helped yet..

JipaRobert, Jun 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

Let me guess. A Western Digital storage drive. Everything is done on the device itself. The Western Digital units are really bad about having these kind of errors.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  5. Yes, it is a WD device, but I have no idea what you are referring to by "Everything is done on the device itself". The restriction seems to be at the Windows end. If I understand the restriction, it is that one user on Windows can have have only one connection (apparently defined as using one set of network credentials) to one NAS (apparently defined by it by it's DNS name.) You can have another connection to the same device if one connection is made using the DNS name and the other connection uses the NAS's IP addr, or if the DNS server has multiple names for the same IP addr. What do other NAS devices do that the WD doesn't that would get around this? I've been thinking about getting a bigger NAS. I thought WD had a pretty good reputation, but I'd be willing to go with a different company if it would help.

pokeefe0001, Jun 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Everything that depends on what the device shares is done on the device. If you still have the CD that came with it, pull it out and read through the manual.

These devices are not made to just be plugged in and start using. You have a series of steps to go through, so that you can access any stored data on that device.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    At this moment forget about all that you know about Windows. Concentrate on properly setting up your new toy.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  8. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

Actually, I've been using this "new" toy for 3 years. I've just never tried using secured shares. And forgetting everything I know about Windows is not a big task. (Finding a CD that came with the device may be a significantly more difficult task.)

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

1. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server? - Similar Threads - multiple accesses NAS

2. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  3. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Support
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  4. How to access my dead NAS disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access my dead NAS disk: I have a nas that died but I need access the files from it. Windows doesn't naturally see it when I plug the disk in as it's a Linux file system. Is there an easy way to get access to this? I know I can boot to Ubuntu. I tried reclaim me and it does see my files but I can't...
  5. Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update: I recently bought a laptop, and now it cannot access my Synology DSM213 in File Explorer. The NAS showed up on the network on my laptop, but not in File Explorer, and when trying to open it, it would have me access it through a web browser. I want it treated like a...
  6. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  7. Getting access to my data on Synology NAS

Getting access to my data on Synology NAS: Hi, I have a problem with my Synology DS211j – please any help would be appreciated: I bought the Synology NAS about a year ago but after setting-up the NAS I had a stroke :-(. I am now trying to re-lean my NASs but am struggling with my Synology: I can see the NAS has...
  8. NAS server not visible

NAS server not visible: We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop...
  9. Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!

Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!: Hi folks I tried all the standard stuff to get access to NAS / Linux machines from W10 including re-enabling SMB1 and killing the auto removal of SMB1 -- nothing worked. Then I had a brain storm -- get rid of CITRIX (I can run that as a VM for access to work remote...
  10. Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update: Hi there can anybody suggest what needs to be done to access windows files FROM Nas servers (running SAMBA). The latest version of windows seems to have broken connections -- now just get message timeout on server when trying to access Windows shares FROM a NAS server. No...