Windows 10: How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

Discus and support How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been trying to make a shortcut to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But I am stopped in the GUI and it won't show anything beyond (c:\users\'user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fb2, Aug 9, 2018.

1. FB2
    fb2 Win User

How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

I have been trying to make a shortcut to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But I am stopped in the GUI and it won't show anything beyond (c:\users\'user name'\) If I use the administrative command prompt I can go straight to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But there is no way to extract info in gui form from there to the screen.
    So, how does one get permission to browse anywhere I want? I had no trouble in win 7.? *Sad

Thanks in advance!

:)

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Aug 9, 2018
  4. How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

1. How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI - Similar Threads - permission anywhere GUI

2. HDD not getting detected anywhere

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not getting detected anywhere: Hi!I have Lenovo Z51-70 which came with a regular HDD. I brought a SSD drive and then did a clean install with installation media transfer of OS. Everything went well and the system is running very smoothly on the SSD.The problem is that I can't get the regular HDD that came...
  3. HDD not getting detected anywhere

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not getting detected anywhere: Hi!I have Lenovo Z51-70 which came with a regular HDD. I brought a SSD drive and then did a clean install with installation media transfer of OS. Everything went well and the system is running very smoothly on the SSD.The problem is that I can't get the regular HDD that came...
  4. HDD not getting detected anywhere

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How do I go from core to gui on the server 2016 setup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I go from core to gui on the server 2016 setup?: Hey, I just installed Microsoft Server 2016 on my HP laptop and i can't figure out how to get from core to gui.It would be a pleasure to help me....
  6. How do I go from core to gui on the server 2016 setup?

How do I go from core to gui on the server 2016 setup?: Hey, I just installed Microsoft Server 2016 on my HP laptop and i can't figure out how to get from core to gui.It would be a pleasure to help me....
  7. GUI [weather taskbar] gets distorted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GUI [weather taskbar] gets distorted.: Every time I check the weather widget on the taskbar it gets distorted to the point, I can't see the widgets. All drivers and window are fully updated. I have a screen shot, but no option here to upload it. Basically, the widgets become un-usable....
  8. GUI [weather taskbar] gets distorted.

GUI [weather taskbar] gets distorted.: Every time I check the weather widget on the taskbar it gets distorted to the point, I can't see the widgets. All drivers and window are fully updated. I have a screen shot, but no option here to upload it. Basically, the widgets become un-usable....
  9. OpenVPN GUi: Where's the GUI?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenVPN GUi: Where's the GUI?: I am trying to setup the VPN service provided by my Nighthawk AC1900 Router. I think that the service/router side is setup. Now I am trying to get the client side going. On this Windows 10 client laptop I have installed OpenVPN GUI. It's running according to Task Manager and...
  10. GUI

in Windows 10 Support
    GUI: Has anybody else got this GUI don't know how I got ir presume it came down from an upgrade. It really is brilliant but what I want to know is can I change it? 102886