Windows 10: How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

Discus and support How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been trying to make a shortcut to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But I am stopped in the GUI and it won't show anything beyond (c:\users\'user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fb2, Aug 9, 2018.

1. FB2
    fb2 Win User

How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI

I have been trying to make a shortcut to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But I am stopped in the GUI and it won't show anything beyond (c:\users\'user name'\) If I use the administrative command prompt I can go straight to (c:\users\'user name'\appdata). But there is no way to extract info in gui form from there to the screen.
    So, how does one get permission to browse anywhere I want? I had no trouble in win 7.? *Sad

Thanks in advance!

:)

2. Bennet Martin Win User

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Sachin Venkatesh Win User

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get permission to go anywhere in the GUI - Similar Threads - permission anywhere GUI

2. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get full permissions for C drive folders?: I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc Why on earth do Microsoft design Windows 10 Home Edition so that dialogue boxes come up telling you to contact the system or...
  3. t work permission get permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    t work permission get permission: my home network folder shows all my home computers, but dialogue box says I do not have permission when trying to access another computer. How do I get permission?...
  4. WD going crazy with permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD going crazy with permissions: So it seems that since I booted my laptop this morning, Windows Defender went crazy with permissions, blocking both Firefox and Set Point Device (Mouse) from doing changes to the Desktop folder. I also wasn't able at first to copy files from my external HDD to my laptop....
  5. Edge Browser - Couldn't go anywhere - NO URL worked

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Browser - Couldn't go anywhere - NO URL worked: I'm a FireFox user and rarely use Edge. I needed to check a website using Edge, but when I fired it up, it loaded the default MSN stuff, etc. However, I couldn't go to any sites ... no URL worked and a bunch of errors got generated in Event Viewer for Edge. I tried the usual...
  6. OpenVPN GUi: Where's the GUI?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenVPN GUi: Where's the GUI?: I am trying to setup the VPN service provided by my Nighthawk AC1900 Router. I think that the service/router side is setup. Now I am trying to get the client side going. On this Windows 10 client laptop I have installed OpenVPN GUI. It's running according to Task Manager and...
  7. Get to admin GUI while using Classic Shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Get to admin GUI while using Classic Shell: I am going crazy trying to get to an admin level graphical user interface so I can change the "power" settings in Windows 10 in order to turn off fast boot. I am running Classic Shell menu system, and it doesn't recognize right-click to get to an admin level. (It does on...
  8. GUI

in Windows 10 Support
    GUI: Has anybody else got this GUI don't know how I got ir presume it came down from an upgrade. It really is brilliant but what I want to know is can I change it? 102886
  9. Xbox Play Anywhere Gets an Asterisk

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox Play Anywhere Gets an Asterisk: Microsoft’s promise to publish all future in-house games via Xbox Play Anywhere—meaning they will work on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs—may be less certain thanks to a quiet rewording of the original announcement. Naturally, conspiracy theories abound. I spent a great...
  10. Cannot get folder permissions...

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get folder permissions...: Hi, I removed an old Windows 10 user account, but its folder in C:\Users did not disappear. When I investigated, I found that there is a folder inside that I just cannot delete (in spite of being Administrator): C:\Users\test131\AppData\Roaming\AVAST Software\Avast\Cache...