Windows 10: How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10?

Discus and support How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Before 2 Months, I was using Windows 7 Home Premium in my Sony Vaio Laptop which is running absolutely fine. After the release of Windows 10, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SunilKunwar, Oct 8, 2015.

1. How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10?

Before 2 Months, I was using Windows 7 Home Premium in my Sony Vaio Laptop which is running absolutely fine. After the release of Windows 10, I upgraded and then clean install my Windows 7 to Windows 10. But after the upgrade, my laptop becomes too slow. It takes about 10 minutes to boot and 5-6 minutes to start the application.
    So now i want to go back to windows 7 but now since its over 1 month, I cannot rollback to windows 7. So I want to perform the clean install the same old Windows 7 but I lost the Windows 7 product key that comes with my laptop. Also the sticker at the back of laptop where the product key is printed is erased.
    Now in this difficult situation, how can i get the product key of my old windows 7 in order to install it? Is it possible?
    Please help me.
    Badly regretting for upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 10.

:)

SunilKunwar, Oct 8, 2015

2. Recent Installed Win10 OS But I don't have Product key Previously My Os Is Win -7 Home genuine How to get product key for win10 ?

Dear all,

My Old OS Is Win 7 Home Which is Completely Genuine . But Recent I Format And Install New win 10 without Product key also without upgrade reservation.

Now I don't know how can I get My Product Key for activation?

Please Need Some Idea! How To activate My Win-10 ?

How to get Product Key ?

ASAP ANSWER

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Dipak Shrestha, Oct 8, 2015
  3. How to get product key after Win 7 to Win 10 update and new HDD

thanks ! used the trouble shooter and it found my key !

vincej1657, Oct 8, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10?

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Sorry but that won't work if he clean installed after upgrading and has an OEM license. It only say you have an OEM Marker.

How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10? [​IMG]

It only shows the generic install key for Win10
    On windows 7 machines there is no key in the mother board BIOS.

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Oops. I missed the OP where he said he did a clean install after the upgrade. Yep, you are correct, the previous Windows 7 Product key is gone - unless the OP made a backup image of the Windows 7 or first Windows 10 after upgrade, which they would just restore, so there probably was no backup done.

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Maybe by posting his forums handle with the "at" sign, @Superfly can help*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

That is the only one you need for 7. You was ripped-off.

Later versions had a key in BIOS but 7 didn't.

If you have not bought a legit version (and someone has scrubbed off the original OEM number) then you'll have consider buying a new license from MS.

I get given lots of laptops to "repair" which people have bought from a "reputable" seller (from a local shop or ebay or whatever). In fact I've never seen one that was genuinely activated. Never.

As you can't validate your 7 you can't expect your upgrade to be valid.

lx07, Oct 8, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    The thing is, even if you could retrieve the product key of the underlying OS, it would be useless. If a valid 7 or 8.1 was upgraded to 10 and the 10 automatically activated, the underlying 7 or 8.1 key is flagged as used and can't be used to activate 7 or 8.1 on another machine.

The key of an underlying qualifying OS is gone and invalid as soon as the upgrade to 10 has been activated.

Kari, Oct 8, 2015
  10. Superfly Win User
    You guys are correct - Windows 7 requires to be restored from a backup that includes the relevent certificate as the key is an OEM generic. (BTW. ..I don't think it's pirated - they would go for Ultimate instead.)

@SunilKunwar - PM me the following registry key - and we'll see if we can set your PC back to factory.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\RSDT

It contains the OEM marker version in order to match the correct certificate.

(NB: I will respond via PM as it requires Sony proprietry stuff to be installed - which was there prior to your upgrade anyways, but still.)

Superfly, Oct 8, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks for showing up Craig*Thumbs

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    100% complete and utter nonsense.

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

Could you tell me why?

My own experience:

I have quite a number of Windows 7 and Windows 8 keys, through MPN and MSDN. I have tested the following:
    • Install Windows 7 or 8.1 in a vm or physical computer
    • Activate it with a valid Retail key
    • Reinstall, use the same Retail key
    • This works as often as I want to, I can reinstall and reactivate with the same retail key as often as I want to, almost limitless
    • Now upgrade this validated and activated Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10
    • Try to use the underlying Windows 7 or 8.1 Retail key in a fresh, clean install of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, suddenly the key does no longer work; I get (without an exception) the message "They key has already been used"
    Summary: I can reuse my Windows 7 and 8.1 keys as many times as I want to, but as soon as I have upgraded Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and activated it, the key stops working in fresh new, clean installs.

Please either provide proof that my earlier statement was BS or apologize.

14. Cliff S New Member
    Kari, so that means, I can just delete both my Win7(from laptop) and Win8.1(desktop) system images, because they're "done for" now. Not that I ever plan on going back*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2015
  15. Kari Win User
    What I have told is what I have experienced.

An example: I install Windows 8.1 Pro and activate it with a valid key. I reinstall it on another hardware or vm, using the same key, no issues, it activates. I repeat this three or four or eleven times, key is always valid and activates.

Then I decide to upgrade the third or seventh or eleventh activated Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. It will be automatically activated. I take my Windows 8.1 Pro install media to another machine, install it and when asked for the product key, I give this same key I have successfully used several times. Without an exception I will now get a notification about "This key can't be used as it has already been used in another installation".

It's that simple.

Thema:

1. How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10? - Similar Threads - product key old

2. Win 7 auf Win 10 upgrade Key Fehler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 auf Win 10 upgrade Key Fehler: Hallo und zwar möchte ich mein Laptop von Windows 7 auf Windows 10 upgraden alles hat super funktioniert bis auf das Ende da wird mir angezeigt das es ein Fehler mit dem Produkt key gibt kann mir jemand weiterhelfen bitte?!...
  3. Win 7 auf Win 10 upgrade Key Fehler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 auf Win 10 upgrade Key Fehler: Hallo und zwar möchte ich mein Laptop von Windows 7 auf Windows 10 upgraden alles hat super funktioniert bis auf das Ende da wird mir angezeigt das es ein Fehler mit dem Produkt key gibt kann mir jemand weiterhelfen bitte?!...
  4. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  5. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  6. Invalid key long after free upgrade win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Invalid key long after free upgrade win 7 to win 10: I bought a Acer laptop from Taiwan a long time ago. It was a Chinese Win 7 laptop. I went to Acer service center to buy another OEM win 7 English version, which is legal, and Acer installed it. Maybe 6 years ago there was a free upgrade to win 10. I upgraded. Now the windows...
  7. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...
  8. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...
  9. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...