Windows 10: How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances

Discus and support How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, Contrarily to previous Windows versions, the user can no longer decide when and how to update Windows, but the OS does it all by itself - at any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by haku, Mar 3, 2016.

1. haku Win User

How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances

Hi,

Contrarily to previous Windows versions, the user can no longer decide when and how to update Windows, but the OS does it all by itself - at any time, and unasked for. This occasions unexpected and unwanted machine slowdowns - sometimes at startup, sometimes at closing down, sometimes in the middle of a session. In my view a most annoying and disturbing interference in my normal workflow.

So, is there any way or tweak to take Windows Updates in hands again on that level?

This is not the only occurrence where Windows takes things in hands. Indeed, despite countless telephones to Microsoft, there is no way to prevent it from associating everyday graphic files (like for example jpg, gif, png and more) with its own clunky "Photos" utility, or send pdf files to its own and even more clunky "Edge" - instead of opening these files to the programs or utilities one has decided to associate them with. Trying to associate these via Settings helps nothing at all, or just for a moment or, if one is in luck, for a whole session. But invariably Windows 10 reverts to its own "choices".

The only solution Microsoft could offer was to do a clean re-install of Windows 10. I don't call this a solution, but just plain amateurism.

So, if anyone knows how to get rid of these - with the update annoyance in the first place, because for the other ones I can still workaround via "open with", whereas my hands are tied with those updates.

Thanks,

:)

haku, Mar 3, 2016
  2. José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Mar 3, 2016
  3. Fabian AA Win User
    How to get rid of DNS Unlocker and other pop-ups

As other individuals have a similar problem to having the adware of DNSUnlocker, I have checked every video and answer from everywhere and doesn't help my situation, so my question is how do completely remove DNSUnlocker and any other pop-up adware even
    though one has already uninstalled the program, cleared cache, reset settings, and put the DNS server automatically in Windows 10, HP Laptop.

Fabian AA, Mar 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 3, 2016
  5. haku Win User
    Hi Brink,

Many thx for the swift reaction. Will try that beginning next week. But wouldn't Option 2 or 5 be more convenient? After all, a reg tweak - 2 - is easy to achieve, while setting the update service to manual is even easier.

Still, it continues to baffle me why Windows took so many things out of the user's hands - as if we were retarded children. I've had to tweak many things already, and still the OS continues to "misbehave" - or rather behave on its own.

Thx again. I'll keep you informed about the results.

haku, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    OPTION TWO would be, but it's not available to use in the Home edition.

OPTION FIVE would completely disable Windows Update and Store updates until you manually enable it again. OPTION FOUR would give you more flexibility.

Brink, Mar 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    The vast majority of the public have no clue about updates and millions of people failed to maintain their pcs properly.

MS took decision this has to be sorted, and given the number of pcs I have had to 'disinfect' etc. from such users over the years, I basically agree with them. Forced driver uodates is a bit draconian though.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances - Similar Threads - rid automatic updates

2. How to get rid of this annoying Virtual Desktop animation ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get rid of this annoying Virtual Desktop animation ?: I have two Virtual Desktops, and both have different wallpapers. When I switch between them, there is this slow annoying animation. I have added a video here.Please fix this. Or how can I remove/disable the slow animation ?...
  3. Automatic update Annoying

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic update Annoying: I don't understand why the f**k you decided to remove the option people to select what to put on their laptops. What if I have only 40GB and I don't want to install all things you want???? Who needs tool for removing viruses when he has antivirus?? I need just the drivers but...
  4. How to get rid of this thing very annoying...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to get rid of this thing very annoying...: [ATTACH]Please help!! I do not want this icon <<<< here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-this-thing-very-annoying/f724e6fb-f676-4d81-b971-db237d193017
  5. How to get rid of this annoying tray icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of this annoying tray icon?: [ATTACH] The label on the icon is: "Security mode is off." I disabled Defender startup icons but this one still persists. Any ideas? https://preview.redd.it/urnd2q9f60t61.png?width=224&format=png&auto=webp&s=ba5ec75908fa84893a176f88b112aa9b383bc23a submitted by...
  6. How to get rid of annoying Lenovo audio smart

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get rid of annoying Lenovo audio smart: [IMG]would like to know if there's any way to disable or permanently remove the Lenovo audio smart thing because every time I try to work or do something on my laptop and I go to a tab it always pops up and it's just very annoying and tedious overall I don't think this is...
  7. annoying automatic screenshot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    annoying automatic screenshot: why do my pcwindows 10 taking screenshot automatically ??? and pc becomes very much slow when it starts to take screenshot. it's very much annoying. i have cleaned whole pc and have fresh setup of windows 10, 2004. but problem didn't solve. what should i do...
  8. How to get rid of automatic update messages

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get rid of automatic update messages: How do I update Intel Drivers? I have automatic message in the top left of my screen that says: Intel Driver & Support Assistant 3 updates Last Checked: 4/14/20 Everything is working fine and I don't really NEED to update anything. But this popup message is blocking...
  9. how do I get rid of these annoying windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do I get rid of these annoying windows: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Quionn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efo4e6/how_do_i_get_rid_of_these_annoying_windows/
  10. ANNOYING WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATES SOMETIMES EVERYDAY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ANNOYING WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATES SOMETIMES EVERYDAY: Now everytime i start gaming i have to check its not updating because if it is its so damn slow and interrupt everytime asking for a reboot this is one of many reasons ill be trying mac or linuz asap.....