Windows 10: How to get rid of someone's old user account?

Discus and support How to get rid of someone's old user account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have installed Windows 10 on a computer that was given to me by a friend. I have my microsoft user account with my name Claudia's PC. But when I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ClaudiaThompson, Aug 27, 2015.

1. How to get rid of someone's old user account?

I have installed Windows 10 on a computer that was given to me by a friend.

I have my microsoft user account with my name Claudia's PC. But when I look on my Administrator's folder which I renamed 'Claudia' on my desktop and compare it with when I put that same folder into my Quick Access folders over on the left side navigation pane of my File Explorer, I see my friend's name on that same folder instead of my own.

This is really frustrating.

When I go to my C Drive and click on the Users Folder, it also has my friend's name on the folder instead of my own. It appears that this is the same folder, but named differently in different places and it is very confusing. As in it bothers me since this is my computer now and not his, and also that I am worried I will delete the folder because it has his name on it and end up accidentally deleting all my own stuff in the folder at the same time without meaning to.

Can anyone please help me to solve this problem?

:)

ClaudiaThompson, Aug 27, 2015
  2. vickiray Win User

How to get rid of User account

Frustrated- I downloaded Windows 10 but when I open it there are 2 user names. I am the only one using the only computer in the house. How do I get rid of the extra person named "John" Contacted the Windows help line and they told me they could fix it
    for 149.00 Not good customer service. Would I be able to delete Windows 10 and reinstall 8.1 and start again?

vickiray, Aug 27, 2015
  3. How to get rid of User account

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Firstly, check if you are logged in as administrator, if yes then try to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to delete the account:

• Press the Windows key or click on
      Windows icon.

• Click on Settings.

• Click on Account.

• Now click on Family and other users.

• Click on the user account you are willing to remove.

• Click on Delete account and data
      for confirmation.
    Note: If you will delete the account and its data then you will be unable to use and get back those once deleted from there. Also
    go back option will be lost if you' remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to get rid of someone's old user account?

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  5. ClaudiaThompson, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Hello. I know this is a really dumb question but where do I find "Settings" on Windows 10?

I used to have the Charms bar thing but it isn't there any longer, after I installed the Windows Classic Shell/

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yes, you would want to backup any files that you don't want to lose from the old account to be able to copy to the new one.

No problem. The link in step 1 of the add account tutorial can help show you how to open Settings.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  8. How to get rid of someone's old user account?

Okay thank you!

9. One last question, can you show me where I can find out how to sign in as the Administrator?

10. It appears that I am already signed in as Administrator. When I get to my account, and then click "Family and Other Users" it says:

"Your family

We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."

How do I get it up to date then? it doesn't say.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  12. Okay, this is the last question I will ask you and if it doesn't work this time I will just give up on it, because I don't want to keep on pestering you.

I was signed in under a local account as administrator. I added another account not under the "family" thing but under the "other account" thing. I used my normal email address. It seems to work and there was a new account there. But it did not ask me to put in any sort of a password or anything.

So I shut down my computer. Then when it came back on there was the usual microsoft account there to sign in to and also at the bottom left there was my other new account that I just created. But when I click on it ... it wants me to put in my password which I don't even have. And so I tried putting in my same microsoft account password that I use for my other account and it did not work.

So what do I do now?

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

If the Microsoft account that you can successfully sign in to is the new account, then you can delete the others.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  14. No it won't allow me to sign into this new account. It asks for a password but it did not provide me with any password at all. So I have no idea what they are expecting me to put in there as a password.

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The password would be the same as the email account you used for the Microsoft account.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

1. How to get rid of someone's old user account? - Similar Threads - rid someone's old

2. Can't get rid of an old work account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get rid of an old work account: I had a work Exchange account which I used on my personal laptop for OneDrive, Outlook, Teams, etc. I no longer work there and I can't access the account. But try as I might I can't get rid of all the traces of it. It took me a long time to work out how to stop the...
  3. Can't get rid of an old work account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get rid of an old work account: I had a work Exchange account which I used on my personal laptop for OneDrive, Outlook, Teams, etc. I no longer work there and I can't access the account. But try as I might I can't get rid of all the traces of it. It took me a long time to work out how to stop the...
  4. get rid of old outlook account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    get rid of old outlook account: Hi, I had an outlook account with a group of professionals I no longer work with. I created a new account for our new group. Every time I log in I first get prompted to open the account I no longer have a password for and don't want to use anymore. How do I get rid of...
  5. How to restore old user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore old user account: Hi, So i stupidly renamed my user folder name using the method that uses the registry editor then i edited the profile image path. I signed out, and when i signed back in again it was with a temporary profile. All my settings have been reset, e.g. background, i was...
  6. How to get rid of an xbox account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of an xbox account: I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC. Whenever I try to play Microsoft word games I get a pop-up window asking me to sign into what looks like an xbox account. I don't have an xbox. I don't want an xbox account. I just want to play these games as a guest. I do want...
  7. W10 phantom user account...how do I get rid of it

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 phantom user account...how do I get rid of it: My W10 ver18.362 desktop boots up to a user account that is not showing in my user account settings There are two user accounts on my pc but my PC always boots up to a user account that has not existed for over a year. I then have to change user accounts to one of the two...
  8. How to get rid of old USB drivers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get rid of old USB drivers?: Rollback is grayed out. I uninstall the device "M25 digital scale" but a re-install picked up the old USB that are not working. They worked for an USB ASIC miner that I used at one time. The scale works perfectly on another win 10 1903 system. What is strange is that the...
  9. How do I get rid of old Kiosk user after reverting machine?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get rid of old Kiosk user after reverting machine?: Hello, I followed Setup or Remove a Kiosk Account using Assigned Access in Windows 10 this tutorial and it worked fine. So now I reverted back to 'normal' mode... but every time the system reboots it still tries to log in with the non-existent account. If it's been removed...
  10. Get rid of my user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Get rid of my user account: Hello users. When I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop I did so that it was not signed into any account and it just came on. So the other night I used the email application to check my email. Next time I turned the laptop on it asked for my password!!! *Mad I have now...