Windows 10: How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?

Discus and support How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have some strange square every time I start Windows 10, which will be gone when I click on it. Something is run in the background. I see nothing when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Manolito Mystiq, Aug 28, 2015.

1. How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?

I have some strange square every time I start Windows 10, which will be gone when I click on it. Something is run in the background. I see nothing when Windows is just loading. When ESET anti-virus loads, it's still okay. And then somewhere during that and the last few startup programs, it suddenly gets there. It won't get away, unless I click on it one or several times. It's reloading every time I restart Windows 10.

How can I manage step by step what is loaded during startup, so that I can see what the problem is. I think it was the patch for that "show me the desktop" button on the far right of the taskbar that did it. But I deinstalled that, so...

Any help, please.

:)

Manolito Mystiq, Aug 28, 2015
  2. BeLash Win User

Icon pinned to desktop background

Does anyone know how to get rid of a little white square icon with a red circle that is pinned to my desktop?

BeLash, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Unable to cancel Windows 10 reservation

This worked, so i am canceled thank God, but how do I get rid of those dangerous 4 white squares down by my date and time at the lower right? I don't want those squares on my computer.

merrywriter, Aug 28, 2015
  4. How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?

Hi,
    A few questions: was this a Windows 10 upgrade from a previous Windows version?
    If so, was Your Antivirus s/w installed during the upgrade?

The reason I ask this is because it is a very well known problem with just about all Antivirus programs installed and that is in the Antivirus programs behavior. In short they don't like deep changes in the Windows system files and therefor cause trouble with Windows 10 upgrades.

So, if this is the case, uninstall the Antivirus s/w (remember to have your license key at hands for later installation, if necessary).
    Restart the computer.
    First: create a backup of all your important files etc.

Windows up and running > Put in the Windows 10 DVD or USB media > select Setup or autostart > do a Windows 10 upgrade (it will keep everything intact, important that you choose upgrade option) > complete the whole Windows 10 upgrade.
    This will reinstall the complete Windows 10 without losing data or personal settings, to a fresh new status.

Note: You must Not boot from the Windows 10 media, then it will create a fresh installation and that is something we not want to do.

Reboot the machine and run Windows update and reboot. Repeat this procedure until there are no more Windows updates.
    Reinstall your Antivirus s/w.
    This procedure is a way of repairing a corrupt Windows installation so I recommend this anyhow.

How is it working now?

Flyfisherman, Aug 28, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    It might be a program that opens but doesn't display correctly. Restart the computer and when it starts up and the box appears, close all of the other windows that are open and...

First, right click the taskbar (where all of the open apps, Start button and search bar show up).
    Then, click Task Manager.
    Then, click the More Details button if cannot see the tabs at the top of Task Manager.
    Then, click the Processes tab.
    Then, click "Name" under the Processes tab if there is no gray arrow above it pointing up. The apps in the list should be categorized as "Apps", "Background Processes", etc.

Is there a program under "Apps"?

Or if Alt-Tab, does the box show up in the Alt-Tab menu and does it have a title (like this)?

How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup? [​IMG]

Try disabling Startup programs one-by-one if can't figure out what the program is.

First, right click the taskbar.
    Then, click Task Manager.
    Then, click the More Details button if cannot see the tabs at the top of Task Manager.
    Then, click the Startup tab.
    Then, disable one program, restart, see if the behavior still occurs, re-enable it if it does, disable the next program, restart, re-enable it if the problem is still there, and so on until the box disappears.

If it disappears after a program is disabled, that program is causing the box to appear.

Thema:

How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?

1. How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup? - Similar Threads - rid strange white

2. How to get rid of this black square icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of this black square icon: A microphone-like icon appear out of nowhere on my screen. I dont even know what it means. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-this-black-square-icon/3f714516-ccd8-4cf6-9f25-a79b3091a721
  3. How to get rid of this black square icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get rid of this black square icon: A microphone-like icon appear out of nowhere on my screen. I dont even know what it means. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-this-black-square-icon/3f714516-ccd8-4cf6-9f25-a79b3091a721
  4. How to get rid of this black square icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I get rid of the white box on my desktop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I get rid of the white box on my desktop?: Please don't answer with something like: open the redirect app in the autorun file and bootstrap the digibundle, reboot in Safe mode and reinstall win 10I have know idea what any of that computer mumbo jumbo means, I just want the white box gone.Thanks for your help...
  6. How do I get rid of the white box on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of the white box on my desktop?: Please don't answer with something like: open the redirect app in the autorun file and bootstrap the digibundle, reboot in Safe mode and reinstall win 10I have know idea what any of that computer mumbo jumbo means, I just want the white box gone.Thanks for your help...
  7. How do I get rid of the white box on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. white square box with earth on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    white square box with earth on desktop: [ATTACH]how do i make this go away? It goes away when I shut off computer, but then pops up again. i still have internet connection when it pops up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-square-box-with-earth-on-desktop/ec364dec-62dc-4cca-acc0-58a2ed549ad8
  9. How to get rid of this white line?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of this white line?: [IMG] submitted by /u/kreetikal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g5iu1a/how_to_get_rid_of_this_white_line/
  10. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 weird square