Windows 10: How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables?

Discus and support How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; AdwCleaner scan keeps finding the same 5 items in Chrome. Both Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro do not detect these at all. Once AdwCleaner cleans,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GARoss, Aug 17, 2016.

1. GARoss Win User

How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables?

AdwCleaner scan keeps finding the same 5 items in Chrome. Both Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro do not detect these at all. Once AdwCleaner cleans, deletes & restarts my PC a new AdwCleaner scan indicates all these are gone. As soon a Chrome is launched, however, they're back shown as below.

Are these serious & how to permanently get rid of them? *Eek

Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - windows-installer-cleanup-utility.en.softonic.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - ask.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - aol.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - hxxp://vosteran.com/?....
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - hxxp://vosteran.com/?...

:)

GARoss, Aug 17, 2016
  2. José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Aug 17, 2016
  3. Fabian AA Win User
    How to get rid of DNS Unlocker and other pop-ups

As other individuals have a similar problem to having the adware of DNSUnlocker, I have checked every video and answer from everywhere and doesn't help my situation, so my question is how do completely remove DNSUnlocker and any other pop-up adware even
    though one has already uninstalled the program, cleared cache, reset settings, and put the DNS server automatically in Windows 10, HP Laptop.

Fabian AA, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Borg 386 Win User

This browser hijacker embeds itself in various places. Have a look here for steps to follow to clean your system. Most likely it's hijacked the shortcuts. Or you may need to reset the browser.

How to remove Vosteran.com Search (Removal Guide)

Borg 386, Aug 17, 2016
  5. Dropbox Win User
    Hi,

Can you please attach the cleanlog of AdwCleaner? Also, resetting Google Chrome can help.

Dropbox, Aug 17, 2016
  6. GARoss Win User
    Cleanlog.txt attached. Reset of Chrome was among the 1st things I tried.

GARoss, Aug 17, 2016
  7. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. Followed this guide this morning & it found nothing even though a re-scan with AdwCleaner & it found the 5 mentioned in my posts again. This is embedded in the browser & rewrites itself once deleted.

GARoss, Aug 17, 2016
  8. How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables?

Hi:

Some of these critters re-spawn from Google Sync.

In addition to the excellent advice already offered (especially resetting Chrome): you might go into your Google account and stop SYNC.
    You may also need to then uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

Additional scans with addition tools may be needed...

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 17, 2016
  9. GARoss Win User
    I stop SYNC, uninstalled / reinstalled Chrome. Without Chrome, everything scanned clean. After re-installing Chrome I scanned again with Adwcleaner & all as clean. Open Chrome browser, did another AdwCleaner scan & there they were.

Is it time to dump Chrome?

GARoss, Aug 17, 2016
  10. GARoss Win User
    The simple solution was to uninstall Chrome. I did that & cannot find anything on AdwCleaner scan, Malwarebytes Pro or Windows Defender.

Back to Firefox!

GARoss, Aug 17, 2016
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Tried clearing c:\users\<your account>\AppData\Local\Google\ except for those files you need (like visited links and bookmarks)?

eLPuSHeR, Aug 18, 2016
  12. GARoss Win User
    Thanks for your suggestion. Not much is that folder since I uninstalled Chrome. I'm going to stay with Firefox. Chrome isn't worth adware issues.

GARoss, Aug 18, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Agreed. I have always thought that Chrome gets infected more easily than others. And although is a good browser I also think it has gone down the hill slightly nowadays.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 19, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not sure about chrome these days --seems to have gone downhill whereas FIREFOX has improved by leaps and bounds (and by disabling scripts either globally or selectively) you've got reasonable built in protection against hi-jacking etc).

I always browse from a VM so any problems I just junk that VM and start a new one.

For people who don't want to or can't set up VM's - then I always say clean backup and restore is the best protection if you get infected - takes as little as 5 mins on fast hardware with SSD -- even on more standard hardware a restore can often be done within 30 mins.

Virus removal by software usually isn't entirely satisfactory and if you include your analysis time ususally takes LONGER than a clean restore.

Even if the malware removal software reports OK you can't really be sure if you run the program from an infected machine - the infection if reasonably intelligent can deal with "removal" programs and can "neutralize" them - so if you MUST use removal software don't run it on an infected machine --run it on a CLEAN machine which can scan the infected machine remotely - say over a network / LAN although the idea of attaching an infected machine to a network isn't great.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 19, 2016
  15. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. I will say Chrome seems much faster than either Edge or Firefox, but, speed isn't everything. Apparently Chrome doesn't mind hijackers embedding into their browser. Even Malwarebytes & Windows Defender can't detect them.

Can't have that! *Mad

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables? - Similar Threads - rid Vosteran undesirables

2. Come on, Microsoft--is there a way to get rid of the undesirable PDFhub on my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Come on, Microsoft--is there a way to get rid of the undesirable PDFhub on my Desktop?: Come on, Microsoft -- is there a way to completely get rid of the virus PDFHub on my Desktop with Windows 10? I tried the anti-virus route. It appears that the PDFHub.exe file actually resides in my Download directory rent-free!I'm not the only one, apparently. I also see...
  3. Come on, Microsoft--is there a way to get rid of the undesirable PDFhub on my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Come on, Microsoft--is there a way to get rid of the undesirable PDFhub on my Desktop?: Come on, Microsoft -- is there a way to completely get rid of the virus PDFHub on my Desktop with Windows 10? I tried the anti-virus route. It appears that the PDFHub.exe file actually resides in my Download directory rent-free!I'm not the only one, apparently. I also see...
  4. Come on, Microsoft--is there a way to get rid of the undesirable PDFhub on my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get rid of this

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get rid of this: i'm using vietnamese telex keyboard and every time i want to use shortcut key in adobe this apear. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-this/6d382a54-716b-4d72-b048-a57c5a79b41c
  6. UNDESIRED FOLDERS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UNDESIRED FOLDERS: In DOCUMENTS two undesired folders keep appearing right after being definitely removed; their names always begin with AO eg: AOvalue 180 , AOstore17 and ___l eg: ___lwrap91 ___ldefinitions41 and include different files word, excel, acces, txt, pem with ever varying fancy...
  7. How to get rid of this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hmmm3973441 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izbkfd/how_to_get_rid_of_this/
  8. HOW TO GET RID OF AVAST SECURE BROWSER AND ANY OTHER FILES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HOW TO GET RID OF AVAST SECURE BROWSER AND ANY OTHER FILES: I actually installed AVAST ANTI VIRUS in my laptop. And now, I want to uninstall it because I notice that Windows Defender is actually enough to protect my laptop. I already removed the program of AVAST in control panel, I uninstalled it in settings, I deleted the files in...
  9. How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances: Hi, Contrarily to previous Windows versions, the user can no longer decide when and how to update Windows, but the OS does it all by itself - at any time, and unasked for. This occasions unexpected and unwanted machine slowdowns - sometimes at startup, sometimes at closing...
  10. how to get rid of this?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to get rid of this?: Hi guys: after i did a clean install of Win 10 TP, every time i boot too desktop i'm presented with this; see pic attach. 4481