Windows 10: How to get the microphone to work property on Win 10 ?

Discus and support How to get the microphone to work property on Win 10 ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a new Dell Inspiron 7000 16 GB with an i5 processor running Windows 10 Home at the moment. At first I hated Win 10 but learned there are just a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SOHO1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. SOHO1 Win User

How to get the microphone to work property on Win 10 ?

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7000 16 GB with an i5 processor running Windows 10 Home at the moment. At first I hated Win 10 but learned there are just a lot of features configured by default to frustrate users (like menu delays, blurry screens, etc.) The feature I have not gotten past is the microphone. Neither the native sounds setup nor Cortana (which probably uses the same API I'm guessing) properly hear either my built-in microphone nor my Andrea USB-SA Headset. The headseat is LOUD and clear on my Win 7 Pro laptop (miss you in the seven forums Brink) but when I try to setup the mic using Win 10, the dictation does an odd thing. It starts out with the meter showing I am loud "Peter dictates..." but then it shows quieter "...to his computer." and I am not changing the volume of my voice. It continues to show even quieter during "He prefers it to typing ..." and by the end, Windows says it did not hear me very clearly.

Under Sound > recording > Microphone > Properties, I have tried the mic levels at 25%, 50%, 80%, 100% all show the same results as above.

Under Sound > Communications I have tried changing the auto-adjust to "Do nothing." but no affect.

Any known fixes? Most of my other finds for Win 10 involved a registry change to eliminate out-of-box-stupidities.

I have confirmed that my headset works just fine when I plug it into my Win7 Pro laptop.

UPDATE:
    I notice that whilst reciting, as I described above, the mic sensitivity is lowered "too low" but if I pause long enough between words or phrases, Windows seems to increase the sensitivity a bit. So, saying a word at a time, with pauses between, in a VERY UNNATURAL way, the microphone sensitivity will be sufficient to get through the entire phrase about Peter. The challenge is not pausing too long or you cannot complete the phrase in time.

:)

SOHO1, Jan 3, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

how do I get my microphone to work in Win 10

With my older analog microphone, I simply plugged it into the specially marked microphone jack on my computer. It worked fine.

My newer digital microphone is included with my webcam. I plug the webcam's USB cable into a USB connector on my computer and everything works. Windows 10 has a driver for my webcam that was automatically installed.

BulldogXX, Jan 3, 2016
  3. how do I get my microphone to work in Win 10

Not enough information.

My basic instructions would be:

1) Install the proper device drivers for your audio hardware device.

2) Make sure you can hear audio from said device (plug in speakers, play a sound.)

3) Make sure you can record audio from said device (plug in microphone, record a sound.)

The specifics necessary there are the audio device manufacturer, architecture of your OS, how your microphone connects, etc.

Shenan Stanley, Jan 3, 2016
Thema:

How to get the microphone to work property on Win 10 ?

1. How to get the microphone to work property on Win 10 ? - Similar Threads - microphone property

2. Microphone properties - missing 1 channel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone properties - missing 1 channel: Hi I am currently having trouble recording with audio and the main solution is to change the microphone to record in 1 channel.When I go to microphone properties, advanced I only have 2 options which are both 2 channel 16 bit.Does anyone know how I can get the 1 channel...
  3. Microphone properties - missing 1 channel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone properties - missing 1 channel: Hi I am currently having trouble recording with audio and the main solution is to change the microphone to record in 1 channel.When I go to microphone properties, advanced I only have 2 options which are both 2 channel 16 bit.Does anyone know how I can get the 1 channel...
  4. Microphone properties - missing 1 channel

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Enhancements tab in microphone properties missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enhancements tab in microphone properties missing: I have already updated the driver to High definition audio device but only the enhancements tab in speaker properties popped up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enhancements-tab-in-microphone-properties-missing/74f555da-ac11-4ad3-9f8f-26cf1dd82b77
  6. Enhancements tab in microphone properties missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enhancements tab in microphone properties missing: I have already updated the driver to High definition audio device but only the enhancements tab in speaker properties popped up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enhancements-tab-in-microphone-properties-missing/74f555da-ac11-4ad3-9f8f-26cf1dd82b77
  7. Enhancements tab in microphone properties missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Unable to change my default format in microphone properties

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to change my default format in microphone properties: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bingusdfp [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/u62pzc/unable_to_change_my_default_format_in_microphone/
  9. Microphone Levels in properties are blankWindows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Levels in properties are blankWindows 10: I just bought a new mic for my computer a laptop. The problem is that the microphone is not working. Windows detect it correctly but when I look at my mic volume in "Settings" is set to 0 and will not change because as soon as I try to set it to another level of volume it...
  10. Microphone Levels in properties are blankWindows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone Levels in properties are blankWindows 10: I just bought a new mic for my computer a laptop. The problem is that the microphone is not working. Windows detect it correctly but when I look at my mic volume in "Settings" is set to 0 and will not change because as soon as I try to set it to another level of volume it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microphone properties advanced